Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th May 2005, 04:13 AM   #1
Jeff D

Default Baskethilt

I had promised Jim and Tom that I would post photo's of this recent purchase on a previous thread. This appears to be a Stirling hilt on a German blade, I have my own theory's on it date but, I would very much like to hear what every one else thinks. I will post photo's of any details requested. All comments good and bad are very welcome.

Jeff
Attached Images

Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2005, 09:02 AM   #2
Yannis

I dont see why you think this is German blade. This fine inscription was used mostly in spanish blades (but not only).

NO ME SAQUES SIN RASON / NO ME ENBAINES SIN HONOR [Do not draw me without reason/Do not sheath me without honor]). What wise and heroic words! I think it is the best of the mottos we find in swords.

It looks very old to me! But I will wait our friends who know better for the age estimation. Good catch Jeff!
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2005, 10:17 AM   #3
M ELEY

Angry GREEN WITH ENVY

Beautiful piece, indeed! I've always wanted one, but still can't afford it! It is the classic Spanish broadsword with the 6-sided blade and typical marking. These blades were imported and seen on many weapons for the period, just as many German blades marked "Solingen" were seen on basket-hilts. I've also seen Spanish broadsword blades on colonial American and some early English swords.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Jeff,
This really is a beauty!!! and it is probably mid 18th century, a good example of the Highland baskethilt. While I'm away from my resources at the moment I wanted to comment although I know we've discussed this on another thread.
It seems that German blades prevailed on most Scottish baskethilts, and it sometime early in the 17th century the very marketing savvy German blademakers began to use established Spanish marks and names on thier products. Spanish blades had gained favorable reputation for thier quality and the German smiths simply insured marketability with these markings.

The inscription on this blade is indeed referred to as 'the Spanish motto' (Aylward, 1945) although I believe it is actually in Latin, linguists please correct me if that is not the case. Some years ago in research on Spanish colonial weapons I discovered that this motto or phrase appears to have developed sometime in the early 18th century, presumably on Spanish blades. The same wording occurred later on some French swords in French of course and if I am not mistaken, it occurs only on several Italian blades, but it is without doubt a Spanish affectation.

The hilt is of 18th century form as well, and the pommel suggests mid 18th century. The beveled blade cross section and the 'motto' suggest the blade is 18th century Solingen product, with similar combinations occurring on the familiar latter 18th century Spanish dragoon or military broadsword blades.

It would be interesting to discuss this 'motto' more and find out how many trade blades might have carried it. Could anyone out there present other examples found hilted in other hilt forms, cultural spheres? It seems these trade blades often went other directions i.e. India, Africa....anyone seen a firangi or kaskara with this motto?

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Jeff D

Hi Yannis,

You are correct this could be a Spanish blade as the Scots are known to revere them. The German makers were well aware of this and often "borrowed" the Spanish marks. In addition to the German and Spanish blades, French blades can be found on Scottish baskethilts. I think this is a German blade by its style as well as a detail which I have left out of the photo's. I will post it later as well as why I left it out once everyone has been able to comment.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your comments. I think the main reason these tend to be expensive is not the usual market forces, but, the superior haggling skills of the Scots . I went 30% over my absolute maximum on this one. My 1/4 Scotch ancestry was no match for a thoroughbred.

Hi Jim,

I think you are right on with your dating of both the hilt and the blade. As I explained to Yannis I left out a detail which I think confirms this. It should also help confirm a theory I have. I will also start looking to see the sphere of these blades with this motto.

Thanks for all the comments so far.
Jeff
Old 31st May 2005, 12:44 AM   #6
Jeff D

Ok, does this change things?

Jeff
Attached Images

Old 31st May 2005, 12:47 AM   #7
Rivkin

I'm probably the most ignorant of all of you, but it looks like Solingen's sun and moon motiff to me.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2005, 07:55 AM   #8
M ELEY

Default Sun and moon symbols

Is there any possiblilty that these symbols, much like the "Andrea ferrera" markings were used for centuries afterward. I have a Dutch hanger dated to around 1740 that has the sun symbol exactly like the one on the early baskethilt on the cover of Oakeshott's book. I think the Spanish-mottoed one pictured here looks like the typical 18th century piece(6-sided). That being said, I was once told by a collector of antique Scottish pieces and armorer himself, that one has to realise that many Scottish basketswords were similar to Japanese katana, in that they were frequently rebuilt, updated, refitted,etc. This is why we sometimes see a M1798 basket refitted with a Victorian era chromed blade, etc. In any case, this is a beautiful piece!!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote