Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th April 2015, 06:58 PM   #1
DaveA

Default Guide to sellers' sword descriptions

Hello! If you are new to collecting, you may be confused by the lingo used in many descriptions of swords for sale. Here is a brief primer, a list my esteemed colleagues are welcome to augment:

"slight stains on blade" = (the blade is more rust than steel)

"light rust spots" = (the blade is rusted beyond recognition)

"rare" = (it's the only one I have at the moment)

"scabbard slightly dented" = (it looks like a train ran over it)

"some minor pitting" = (you can see light thru the rust holes)

"blade has small nicks in edge" = (you could use it as a saw)

"good sword for martial arts" = (no collector would buy it)

"blade could use a light polish" = (it will only cost $2000 to restore this jewel)

"sword needs some restoration" = (it will cost $5000 and two years work to save this dog)

"sword just came out of the woodwork" = (it's been in the back of my closet for years)

"selling this sword with no reserve" = (I'll take anything to get rid of this loser)

"blade has minor flaws" = (the steel is peeling off in chunks)

"a good study sword" = (blade is damaged beyond repair)

"blade is slightly bent" = (it looks like a cork screw)

Best Regards,

Dave A
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 09:28 PM   #2
spiral

So true!

Also "it might be wootz if cleaned & etched" & of course they never checked a little window....
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Roland_M

LOL

" Sword looks old/ authentic" = in 500 years this sword is ~502 years old
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 06:26 PM   #4
CharlesS

I feel certain that this is meant in a mostly light hearted manner, but let me assure you there are still some of us that do our best to describe and picture things in great detail to avoid any disappointment.

While I am not an arms dealer, I use Ebay to sell some of my duplicate items or when I upgrade a piece, and I don't want any of those terms with those interpretations associated with me. I'd rather have our friends here point out a flawed description than be seen as 'that sort' of seller.

Perhaps it would be better not to assume these are 'blanket' descriptions/interpretations used by everybody that sells something.

'Mehmet-Fetah'
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 07:24 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
I feel certain that this is meant in a mostly light hearted manner, but let me assure you there are still some of us that do our best to describe and picture things in great detail to avoid any disappointment.

While I am not an arms dealer, I use Ebay to sell some of my duplicate items or when I upgrade a piece, and I don't want any of those terms with those interpretations associated with me. I'd rather have our friends here point out a flawed description than be seen as 'that sort' of seller.

Perhaps it would be better not to assume these are 'blanket' descriptions/interpretations used by everybody that sells something.

'Mehmet-Fetah'
You have my full agreement!

"salawaku-halmahera"
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 10:02 PM   #6
DaveA

Quote:

'Mehmet-Fetah'
Exactly. As a repeat buyer from you, I am very pleased with your descriptions. Your listings are a good model for others.

Light hearted yes, but also with a grain of truth if one surveys the greater volume of listings. It is a boon to discover fellow collectors such as yourself.

Dave A.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 11:37 PM   #7
spiral

Quote:

'Mehmet-Fetah'
It is/was amusing...

But in truth ,there are some really great & true collector/dealers out there. But sadly from an average word search on ebay there sometimes few & far between....Sadly many top auction houses & some dedicated arms websites are the same.

One presumes an always straight & true dealer will do ok on repeat custom though ?

Presuming the customers are informed in there targets & research of course.

If the customers are not, the dealer may still do very well of course..

Because unlearnerd consumers do not realise that they are unlearned.

So there happy with a dubious purchase on occasion...

But the cream always rises to the top...

One should probably judge a dealer by the quality of there customers.

spiral
Old 16th April 2015, 01:07 AM   #8
ariel

In some way, this obviously humoristic "glossary" was very much in tune with the currently discussed topic about Tanjore katars.

Yes, there are obviously dishonest dealers who purposefully use code words and incomplete descriptions to present their wares as genuine antiques. Yes, there are scores of obviously newly-made items advertised for astronomical prices on the basis of deceitful description. We all know them .

But perhaps the paranoia went several steps too far.

The relations between the dealers and customers are based on trust. Select your dealer carefully and exercise the law of "caveat emptor" when there is a fantastic piece sold for peanuts ( or for king's ransom) by an unknown and untested seller. Then you consciously take a chance, but this is your personal choice. We all have our walls of shame.

I just think that generalizations are not only unhelpful, but also hurtful and insulting for many honest sellers who are lumped together with the crooked ones. And nothing is more fun than finding a hidden treasure offered for a price of a serving of General Tso' chicken :-)

We are here to enjoy ourselves, not to wage a holy war, aren't we?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 02:09 AM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Quote:

'Mehmet-Fetah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
You have my full agreement!

"salawaku-halmahera"
You have my full agreement too.

Charles, Package is on the way.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 08:22 PM   #10
spiral

O guys, don't be sulky.. Sometimes in life one needs a thicker skin.{Especially if your an arms dealer... }

Its the same as being a second hand car dealer... Jokes & criticisms get made!

The arms trade is sometimes not seen as the most transparent.....Would you allow me that?

And in truth you both look at enough auctions & various private & commercial sales adds to know how dodgy some of the adds are that you peruse.

Glad you picked on the "Judge by there customers" line Gavin

If your selling to Charles your obviously doing ok!

Im sure you can play good chess too!

All the best Chaps, Remember Chin up & tally ho!

& remember not to let let any purveyors of drinks { Also known as Bar Stewards} grind you down.

Spiral .
Old 16th April 2015, 08:51 PM   #11
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
If your selling to Charles your obviously doing ok!

If you're BUYING from Charles you're doing ok too!!!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 09:55 PM   #12
spiral

Indeed!

Ive seen some nice pieces go through in your sales.

spiral
Old 3rd May 2015, 09:14 PM   #13
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I HAVE LONG KNOWN OF THE PRACTICE BUT HAVE JUST SEEN A WORD COINED AND USED ON EBAY FOR IT. EBONISED THAT MEANS A LIBERAL COATING OF BLACK SHOE POLISH HAS BEEN ADDED TO A NON-DESCRIPT WOOD TO MAKE IT APPEAR AS EBONY.
IT HAS BEEN IN LONG USE FOR WOOD CARVINGS AND DOES MAKE A ITEM LOOK NICER WHEN NON ATTRACTIVE WOODS ARE USED. THE ITEMS I SAW WERE CLUBS AND THE SELLER WAS HONEST ENOUGH TO NOT SAY EBONY SO IN MY EYES THAT'S FAIR. BLACK SHOE POLISH IS SOMETIMES USED ON SOME FOSSILS FOR THE SAME COSMETIC REASONS.

Last edited by VANDOO; 3rd May 2015 at 09:25 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 03:53 AM   #14
ariel

Doesn't it smell and dirty your hands?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 04:49 AM   #15
VANDOO
(deceased)

SHOE POLISH LOSES ITS SMELL FAIRLY FAST ESPECIALLY IF YOU POLISH YOUR SHOES WITH A RAG AND PERHAPS PUT ON MORE THAN ONE COAT. OTHERWISE MY CLOSET WOULD ALWAYS SMELL LIKE SHOE POLISH. SHOE POLISH DOESN'T COME OFF ALL THAT EASY ITS NOT LIKE SOOT OR CHARCOAL. I HAVE POLISHED A LOT OF SHOES AND HAVE NOT HAD THOSE PROBLEMS WITH THE WOOD ITEMS I HAVE THAT HAVE BEEN DONE THAT WAY. IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE REAL EBONY IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE REAL WOOD BUT IT IS BLACK.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote