Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th August 2008, 02:53 AM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question Can Anyone List

The dapurs commonly seen in Bali Keris ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 07:10 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

This is an interesting question, Rick.

But I think it is one for which we cannot find an answer.

The concept of dhapur as we know it today is probably a Javanese one. The various dhapurs conform to parameters that are laid down in guidebooks (pakem) , and the most authoratative pakems are held to be those that originate from a kraton.

I rather suspect that the names applied to Javanese keris dhapur are not applicable to Balinese keris.

Keris Lombok, by Djelenga, is probably the best guide we have to Balinese keris, and he does not go into the subject of dhapur.

I guess that we could always work through the various ricikan and affix a suitable dhapur name to a Balinese keris, but this would not be accurate in Balinese terms.

To be honest, I personally avoid the use of dhapur names, except for the ones that just about everybody seems to agree on--you can't get into too much trouble with tilam upih or brojol, but its another story entirely with dhapur anoman, and some others.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Thanks Alan .
Old 9th August 2008, 06:14 PM   #4
ganjawulung

Default ANGUN-ANGUNAN Lombok Keris' Dhapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
The dapurs commonly seen in Bali Keris ?
Dear Rick,
I don't know whether this info is useful for you or not. Balinese kerises, have quite similarities with Lombok kerises. Or say it, Lombok kerises have much similarities with Balinese kerises.

According to Mr Lalu Djelenga -- pls see the book, "Keris di Lombok" (2000) -- kerises in Lombok also recognize "dhapur" like in Javanese keris. But they call it as "Angun-angunan". Similar way of Javanese, but not really the same. So the name of details of keris, ricikan. Some Lombok keris ricikans are not exist (or not mentioned) in Javanese kerises.

There are hundreds of Keris "Angun-angunan" in Lombok. Some are bearing similar names as Javanese dhapurs, but some other -- different. Say it for instance, one of Javanese straight dhapur of Yuyu Rumpung (in Jawa), in Lombok it is called as "Sore". Semar Mendem (Jawa) as "Terentem" in Lombok. Laler Mengeng (Jawa) as "Keboneng" (Lombok), Lar Ngatap (Jawa) as "Tumbuk" (Lombok). And you have mentioned once, twice or more about "Ligan". Yes, it is a straight form of keris that is probably a combination of keris and pedang.

The very popular dhapur Tilamupih (Jawa), it is called "Telesok" (Lombok). Or, Semar Mesem (Jawa) as "Kemos" (Lombok). Semar Tinandu (Jawa) as "Juli" (Lombok). And the popular Tilamsari (Jawa) as "Dampar" (Lombok). Or Ron Teki (Jawa) as "Terombong Ja" (Lombok). Pasopati (Jawa) as "Pandiwal" (Lombok).

Or kerises with luks, such as one luk keris Damar Murub (Jawa) as "Jojor" (Lombok). But, many of them are similar as Javanese name in dhapur, such as Putut, Sepang, Karna Tinanding, Sinom, Pulanggeni, Anoman, Jaran Guyang, Balebang, Kidang Mas, Paniwen, Carang Soka, Kidang Soka, Panimbal, Singa Barong, Nagasasra, Naga Siluman, and so on.

But some Lombok kerises are called -- not only from ricikans, but also from the specific characteristics, such as keris with animal motifs in gandhik, they called it as "keris tantri" (in Java, it is called as "keris ganan"). All kerises with very thin blades -- whether they are wavy or straight kerises -- are called as "sempana" kerises (Lombok).

Why are similar to Javanese way of describing keris forms, although not exactly the same? As do Balinese kerises? It needs more research. But, if we look behind - the history -- Lombokese kings and noble men, were bearing Javanese blood. It dated back from a Majapahit expedition to the Eastern part of Nusantara, headed by their commander, "General" (of course, not bearing this Western title...) Wrehatnala. The Lombok people, then called this Majapahit nobleman as Mpu Nala. Then came, the second expedition headed by the most popular Majapahit army leader, Gajah Mada. But the people in Lombok, believes that Lombok kings in the past were bearing Nala's blood....

I hope this is quite enough for this moment...

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 9th August 2008 at 07:41 PM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Thank you for the explanation Ganjawulung .
Most helpful .
Old 9th August 2008, 11:58 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Yep.

I was wrong.

I don't know much about Bali keris, so I had a quick flick of Keris Lombok before I wrote my previous post,but it was too quick altogether.

Thanks for bringing my error to my attention Pak Gonjo.I've just had another look at Keris Lombok---slowly, and page by page this time, and as you say, there is a section on dhapur, pages 177 to 197.

My apologies for opening my mouth before putting my brain into gear.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote