Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th July 2018, 12:31 PM   #1
Belgian1

Default Dagger origin unknown

Hello from Belgium,
I bought this dagger as I thought of an African sacrifice knife of Kirdi origin nineteenth / early twentieth. But the more I look at it, the more I think it has no Kirdi origin, probably not African and probably much older. Do you know this type of dagger, do you have any opinion or answer to this riddle.
It measures 32 cm forged steel. The handle is forged in one piece with the blade, then covered by the forged steel plates held by rivets stabilized with a copper envelope.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Belgian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 04:22 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I once had a similar blade form all metal knife like this. The grip on mine had grooves for your fingers there was also an engraved Arabesque squiggle in the metal. The conclusion was that it was North African. I think it may be the same for your knife. I like the brass inclusions which could hint at the Congo. There was a strong Arab influence in the Congo. The Congo being a source for very creative and unusual knives and swords. I think it is rather cool.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 07:22 PM   #3
Belgian1

Good evening Tim,
Thank you for this point of view that seems logical. The handle also has "waves" as if it was for the shape of the fingers.In fact this work very "raw" but very efficient could have a Berber origin "Kabyle" very old ... ??? The shape of the double-edged curved blade lets imagine that it is a sacrifice knife ... ????
The age and patina of the steel is not seen well in the photos but seems to be a forged work of the seventeenth or perhaps even earlier
Yes indeed the brass to fix the rivets is a rather singular method.
Again thank you Tim for your opinion
Fabrice
Belgian1 is offline   Reply With Quote