Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Dimasalang

Default Philippines Map 1899 - Ethnic Territories

Thought this map could be of use to those who were interested in Filipino weapons, the different regions, and ethnic groups around the Philippines. Very insightful considering it is an older map of the sections and territories that can be relative to the various weapons of these groups.

Last edited by Dimasalang; 16th February 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Dimasalang, A great map that will be of invaluable help to many of us here. Thank you very much for posting this.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice scan, thank you! I must admit I took stuff like this for granted.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 10:19 AM   #4
migueldiaz

dimasalang, thanks for the map!

one can almost imagine the topography here. for instance in luzon (the northern and largest island), where it says 'igorot/ibanag' is the cordillera mountain range; the elongated black strip on the left on the other hand is the zambales mountain range; and where you have the two large black 'negrito' strips with 'pagans' in between is the sierra madre mountain range.

and those three mountain ranges basically define luzon topography. in between will be mostly flatlands to slightly hilly terrain, occasionally dotted by relatively smaller volcanic mountains.

thus to avoid getting colonized, many filipinos then simply retreated deep into the mountain ranges, where it was a logistical nightmare for any invading force to sustain a campaign.

i also don't wonder why the central highlands of samar and leyte have no designation as to who lived there. perhaps it was because those mountain ranges were practically impenetrable (not to mention that the people are very war-like) ...
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Dimasalang

Thanks guys. Im sure this map will be used extensively for reference by us and others in the not so distant future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueldiaz
dimasalang, thanks for the map!

one can almost imagine the topography here. for instance in luzon (the northern and largest island), where it says 'igorot/ibanag' is the cordillera mountain range; the elongated black strip on the left on the other hand is the zambales mountain range; and where you have the two large black 'negrito' strips with 'pagans' in between is the sierra madre mountain range.

and those three mountain ranges basically define luzon topography. in between will be mostly flatlands to slightly hilly terrain, occasionally dotted by relatively smaller volcanic mountains.

thus to avoid getting colonized, many filipinos then simply retreated deep into the mountain ranges, where it was a logistical nightmare for any invading force to sustain a campaign.

i also don't wonder why the central highlands of samar and leyte have no designation as to who lived there. perhaps it was because those mountain ranges were practically impenetrable (not to mention that the people are very war-like) ...

You know what, I just realized that the deep interiors of Samar and Leyte are blank on the map. HAHA I would bet that is why it is empty, due to the dangerous region and warlike people living there...no one dared at the time; or at least survived to tell who lived in those regions during that time. Home of the Pulajanes...Waray-Waray people isn't it?
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
You know what, I just realized that the deep interiors of Samar and Leyte are blank on the map. HAHA I would bet that is why it is empty, due to the dangerous region and warlike people living there...no one dared at the time; or at least survived to tell who lived in those regions during that time. Home of the Pulajanes...Waray-Waray people isn't it?
Yes, indeed.

And on a related matter, it is believed that it was the same seafaring Warays of Samar that made those routine attacks in southern China in the 12th century (in 'The Visayan Raiders of China Coast, 1174-1190 AD' by Efren Isorena, Phil. Quarterly of Culture & Society, June 2004).

Back to the more recent past, what's that US Marines unit again (early 1900s, and related to the Balangiga encounter) which suffered deaths while simply crossing those mountains of Samar on a patrol mission, due to the difficulties involved?
migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote