Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th November 2018, 11:46 PM   #1
Aslan Paladin

Default Outstanding Twist Core Moro Budiak Spear

This Moro budiak was recently auctioned over at E-bay and was suddenly pulled out, probably after the seller was offered a hefty sum by a private buyer. The seller wanted US buyers only so I couldn't bid on it. It is one of the most eye catching Moro budiak I've ever seen - twist core blade, plaited silver wire sleeve, wooden shaft exquisitely carved to imitate bamboo and a munsala cloth attached to it. Unfortunately the shaft is cut down. Hopefully the lucky buyer is a forumite and could post additional pictures.
Attached Images

Aslan Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yeah I like this one too. Unusual to have this type of wood carving like this. Great twist core and that bronze and silver weaving, amazing. That mansala intrigues me. Too bad it was cut down.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Aslan Paladin

Battara have you seen any other budiak as ornate as this? I mean from the blade to the shaft everything is a stand out - it's as if whoever made this decided to pull out all the stops in terms of decorating it. The munsala is the icing on the cake - and the quality of the munsala itself is striking. And I haven't even seen any other budiak with a munsala before this one. Which makes me wonder - what other undiscovered unusual specimen of budiak could possibly there be, one with tiger bells perhaps?

Last edited by Aslan Paladin; 1st December 2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 1st December 2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Aslan Paladin

Speaking of munsala, I found a similar-looking munsala while searching the web, this one on a kris.
Attached Images

Old 1st December 2018, 01:58 PM   #5
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile Decorative of functional?

From an old thread here is another 'carved' treatment of a budiak pole. Possibly it simulates bamboo, but functionally it might have assisted in reducing the likelihood of the pole slipping in the thruster's hands.
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 03:02 PM   #6
kai

Hello Lee,

Yours is not carved: rattan is much more commonly utilized than bamboo because it is much sturdier, especially those varieties with many "knots" along the stem.

Fresh bamboo makes good and very simple instant spears just by sharpening the tip; once the bamboo dries out, it becomes quite brittle and not suitable for warfare.

Neither is formally wood: Rattan is from climbing palms while bamboo is a grass.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 04:31 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

I have never seen a budiak carved like this before. As far as metal work and bling, I have seen others, 2 even better (one owned by Ian) all decked out in silver.

Asian you are brilliant! The Kris mansala matches perfectly, which might indicate that this budiak is Maguindanao in origin. Great work! 👍
Old 1st December 2018, 07:01 PM   #8
Lee
EAAF Staff

Default Natural Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Yours is not carved ... rattan is from climbing palms
Thank you for pointing this out; upon close examination of this shaft I can see that you are correct and that this is a natural formation. Interestingly, I realized that I had two budiaks with this soft of a shaft. Both use the wire reinforcement and both have suffered some splitting of the rattan around the tang of the blade.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

My apologies Lee.......I had forgotten your beautiful examples (one which I forgot I restored).........😉