Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th September 2009, 02:50 AM   #1
Iliad

Default Bowie Knife?

Hi guys, Jim's thread on knives on riverboats is really fascinating; so I thought that this may be a good moment to post pics of a Bowie-type knife which I recently acquired. I got it from a man whose wife refused to allow it in the house, so he had to reluctantly part with it. It is a really brutal, savage weapon, razor sharp and ready for action. Any comments appreciated.
Brian.
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 03:09 AM   #2
BBJW

This man sounds like he made a poor choice in a mate. It is just a knife. Nutters aside...what is the handle made of? Jigged bone or plastic? No makers mark?

bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Iliad

Default Bowie knife

No makers mark at all. Handle appears to my inexpert eye to be staghorn.
Incidentally, from tomorrow I will be away for 5 days, so unable to reply to questions.
Speaking of weird reactions to knives, prior to my retirement a few years ago, I was a Chartered Account in Public Practice, what Americans know as a CPA. I had some of my collection displayed in my office, and often showed off items to interested clients. On one occasion I showed a knife to a husband and wife, and while the man showed some interest, the wife was so upset at just seeing the knife that she ran from the room and threw up!! She didn't even touch it!
Brian
Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for the note on the thread in which I mentioned Bowie knives actually was Pallas' fascinating topic on Mississippi River and flatboat weapons. I mentioned the Bowie knife as one weapon which indeed was likely present in the latter part of the period mentioned in that thread, about c.1830 and later.

This 'knife' is in my opinion a handsome and sturdy example of what are well known as 'hunting knives' or sometimes in Europe 'camping knives'. It corresponds in profile and simple hilt configuration to one shown in "Knives and Daggers" ( Z. Faktor) which is a Czechoslovakian example with wood hilt of c.1930's. It is noted to be based on contemporary American examples.

I should point out that a very close friend who is of profound American Indian ancestry and very much an outdoors person, has two personal knives he uses in his constant times in various wilderness environments. The reverence in which he cares for these two knives, and uses them, clearly illustrate a man's knife is hardly ever 'just' a knife. If I suggested otherwise to him, it would not be taken well, and he's pretty good size.

A knife was an American Indian warriors pride and joy, and among the frontiersmen and mountain men, it was crucial in matters of life and death.
In times where guns were often unreliable, the knife was essential to survival, not only in combat, but in utility matters.

While modern times seldom put individuals in insurmountable circumstances, those who frequent the outdoors, at least many of them , still regard thier knife, no matter how pedestrian, as a very personal item.

Although I cant imagine how this knife could become the stuff of a domestic ultimatum, one can seldom discount the unbelievable pettiness sometimes seen in these matters.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

The knife in question is 1960s-70s vintage probably a Japanese copy.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 11:55 PM   #6
graeme gt

Razor sharp ?
graeme gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 12:17 AM   #7
kronckew

since we're on bowies at the moment,

here's an unusual one with a rib bone as a grip. no markings

have no idea how old or where from. white metal guard is shaped to the end of the bone & appears to be german silver (alpaca). 6.25" blade, 1.125" wide, 3/16" thick.

not sure what animal the bone came from.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
The knife in question is 1960s-70s vintage probably a Japanese copy.

Interesting! How is this determined?
Old 10th September 2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
since we're on bowies at the moment,

here's an unusual one with a rib bone as a grip. no markings

have no idea how old or where from. white metal guard is shaped to the end of the bone & appears to be german silver (alpaca). 6.25" blade, 1.125" wide, 3/16" thick.

not sure what animal the bone came from.

Very nice Kronckew! Hard to say where from or when, but a stunning example of craftsmanship, and regardless of antiquity or lack thereof, these kinds of knives are highly sought after in many of the regions I have been in during travels. As I was describing earlier, these outdoorsmen deeply cherish thier weapons, and anachronistic as it seems, the frontiers are still very much alive!

All the best,
Jim