Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th April 2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Unknown Sumba sword, Bondokodi?

Hello all,

I've bought 1994 in a antique shop on Bali this sword. The man have been from Sumba and have had in his shop only ikat from Sumba. When I am told him that I am interested in swords he bring from the back this sword and told me that it is a heirloom from his father. I've seen only one time a similar sword on e-bay, the seller named it "Bondokodi". It has had the same features, hilt carved like a male figure and scabbard mouth carved like a horse. I can't find something about this sword and all comments and manifestations would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Sajen

Two more pictures. Dimensions: 74 cm inside sheat, blade 51 cm (29/20 inch).

Thank's in advance,
sajen
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 19th April 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 20th April 2009, 01:00 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I WOULD SAY IT IS BATAK PEOPLES WORK, I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE JUST LIKE IT THIS ONE BEING A BIT MORE STYLIZED THAN THOSE I HAVE SEEN. THE HUMAN FIGURE HANDLE AND THE HORSE IS A COMMON THEME WITH THE BATAK SO EVEN IF IT WAS NOT MADE BY THEM THE INFLUENCE IS BATAK. SORRY I CAN'T PUT A SPECIFIC NAME TO IT. NICE ITEM GOOD LUCK FINDING MORE INFO.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 01:32 AM   #4
KuKulzA28

For what it's worth, reminds me of a Valiant Co sword, supposed to be from the Moluccas.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 01:52 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I WOULD SAY IT IS BATAK PEOPLES WORK, I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE JUST LIKE IT THIS ONE BEING A BIT MORE STYLIZED THAN THOSE I HAVE SEEN. THE HUMAN FIGURE HANDLE AND THE HORSE IS A COMMON THEME WITH THE BATAK SO EVEN IF IT WAS NOT MADE BY THEM THE INFLUENCE IS BATAK. SORRY I CAN'T PUT A SPECIFIC NAME TO IT. NICE ITEM GOOD LUCK FINDING MORE INFO.

Thank's for comment, but it is definitely from Sumba. The conclusion from the seller was believable.
sajen
Old 20th April 2009, 01:58 AM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
For what it's worth, reminds me of a Valiant Co sword, supposed to be from the Moluccas.

Thank's for the picture, seems to be the same kind of sword. From where you have the picture? You see that the title of the picture is "Klewang Sumba"?
sajen
Old 20th April 2009, 02:05 AM   #7
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Thank's for the picture, seems to be the same kind of sword. From where you have the picture? You see that the title of the picture is "Klewang Sumba"?
sajen
You may browse Valiant Co's website to see more of them. Suwandi runs it and acquires the fine blades from 8 different locations in Indonesia. He himself lives in Australia, driven from Indonesia due to ethnic cleansing. The blades are all very good and usable. Yes it's a "klewang sumba", what struck me was the handle and horse on the scabbard.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 06:13 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
You may browse Valiant Co's website to see more of them. Suwandi runs it and acquires the fine blades from 8 different locations in Indonesia. He himself lives in Australia, driven from Indonesia due to ethnic cleansing. The blades are all very good and usable. Yes it's a "klewang sumba", what struck me was the handle and horse on the scabbard.

Thank's for the link.

sajen
Old 5th May 2009, 12:02 AM   #9
kai

I agree that this piece is from Sumba; seems to have some age to it, too. (Despite being collected on Bali which nowadays seems to be one of the forgery hotspots in Indonesia... )

BTW, the horse has a special status on many of the drier islands/regions throughout Indonesia. Batak work does look different.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 12:10 AM   #10
kai

Quote:
Yes, a modern version of this type.

Suwandi seems to have used the "Moluccas" category to pigeon hole pieces from none of the major islands rather than in a "geographically correct" way...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote