Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th September 2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Sumpitan spear point?

Hello members,

by my last trip to Indonesia I come across this spear point from brass. The owner told me that this is a Sumpitan spear point. Since I never have seen something like this I want to ask you if this is a real thing and also want to share it with you. The spear point was in my humble opinion old. It wasn't for sale so I have only the pictures and no dimensions but the size could be correct.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 06:56 PM   #2
VVV

Neither have I.
How are you supposed to fasten it to the blowgun?
I have seen some elaborated dayak spear points but I can't see any reason for having it on a sumpitan?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Neither have I.
How are you supposed to fasten it to the blowgun?
I have seen some elaborated dayak spear points but I can't see any reason for having it on a sumpitan?

Michael
Hi Michael,

when you look to the last picture you can see a denting in the back of human figure so I think that it would be possible to fasten it to a blowgun.
Your other question is the same what I thought when I see it. And I never seen a spear point for Sumpitans from brass. The figure seems in my eyes typical dayak style, isn't it? Maybe a ceremonial piece? I just have no answers, that was the reason why I post it.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 12th September 2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Indianajones

Hi Detlef, it could also be -perhaps more sensable- for a spear. Sumpitans where not used as ceremonial weapons (as far as I know). Spears were on the other hand used in killing/sacrificing pigs (from a distance) at ceremonies.
If it is a real good old authentic item (pls dont be offended) it IS quite an interesting object! I always find it really dificult to judge brass items on authenticity, even when holding it in my hand, let alone from a computerscreen!
Perhaps others have seen other examples in their collection or in books; I think I remember seing a similar (???) example in 'the Eloquent Death' book but dont have it at hand.
Best, Wouter
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Hi Detlef, it could also be -perhaps more sensable- for a spear. Sumpitans where not used as ceremonial weapons (as far as I know). Spears were on the other hand used in killing/sacrificing pigs (from a distance) at ceremonies.
If it is a real good old authentic item (pls dont be offended) it IS quite an interesting object! I always find it really dificult to judge brass items on authenticity, even when holding it in my hand, let alone from a computerscreen!
Perhaps others have seen other examples in their collection or in books; I think I remember seing a similar (???) example in 'the Eloquent Death' book but dont have it at hand.
Best, Wouter
Hi Wouter,

it's the same to me, by brass items I am very unsure about the age but in this special case I am nearly sure that it is an old item. Don't worry, i am not offended. Since I have never seen something like this I share the pictures with you all with the hope that someone will be able to tell more about this item.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 12th September 2011, 09:06 PM   #6
VVV

Here is a reference illustration from Tropen of a spear that Müller collected in the late 1800's (third from left).
But I am a bit skeptical about the one you posted too...

Michael
Attached Images

VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
Here is a reference illustration from Tropen of a spear that Müller collected in the late 1800's (third from left).
But I am a bit skeptical about the one you posted too...

Michael

Hello Michael,

the spear from the illustration could be a Bontoc spear as well, look here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=bontoc

Like I write before, I am skeptical as well...

Regards,

Detlef
Old 13th September 2011, 04:37 AM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

DAYAK SPEAR BLADES CAN BE QUITE LARGE AND ARE OFTEN ATTACHED TO THE SIDE OF THE SHAFT INSTEAD OF IN A HOLE IN THE END AS MOST SPEARS ARE.
SUMPTIN BLADES ARE SMALL AND LIGHT, THEY ARE ALSO ATTACHED TO THE SIDE SO AS NOT TO PLUG THE BLOWPIPE. THIS ITEM APPEARS TO BE A BIT OVER 12 INCHES LONG AND BEING BRASS OR BRONZE WILL BE QUITE HEAVY NOT LIKELY TO BE USED ON THE END OF A BLOWPIPE (TOO HEAVY).
I WOULD GUESS IT IS FOR CERMEONIAL OR TAILSMANIC USE PERHAPS A WEAPON FOR PROTECTION FROM EVIL SPIRITS. IT WAS LIKELY ATTACHED TO A SHAFT OF SOME SORT, IF A BLOWPIPE WAS USED PERHAPS IT WAS FOR SHOOTING EVIL SPIRITS SO MAGIC WAS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ACCURACY. JUST A FEW GUESSES UNFORTUNATELY NO DOCUMENTED FACTS. A VERY INTERESTING ITEM
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 07:45 AM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
DAYAK SPEAR BLADES CAN BE QUITE LARGE AND ARE OFTEN ATTACHED TO THE SIDE OF THE SHAFT INSTEAD OF IN A HOLE IN THE END AS MOST SPEARS ARE.
SUMPTIN BLADES ARE SMALL AND LIGHT, THEY ARE ALSO ATTACHED TO THE SIDE SO AS NOT TO PLUG THE BLOWPIPE. THIS ITEM APPEARS TO BE A BIT OVER 12 INCHES LONG AND BEING BRASS OR BRONZE WILL BE QUITE HEAVY NOT LIKELY TO BE USED ON THE END OF A BLOWPIPE (TOO HEAVY).
I WOULD GUESS IT IS FOR CERMEONIAL OR TAILSMANIC USE PERHAPS A WEAPON FOR PROTECTION FROM EVIL SPIRITS. IT WAS LIKELY ATTACHED TO A SHAFT OF SOME SORT, IF A BLOWPIPE WAS USED PERHAPS IT WAS FOR SHOOTING EVIL SPIRITS SO MAGIC WAS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ACCURACY. JUST A FEW GUESSES UNFORTUNATELY NO DOCUMENTED FACTS. A VERY INTERESTING ITEM

That it is a Sumpitan spear point was the statement of the owner. You are right about size and weight and I think as well that it is to heavy for this use.

Regards,

Detlef