Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd August 2005, 11:44 PM   #1
masterPD85

Default question about an unknown indian sword.

ok first things first, i dont know much about swords. i know them, but i dont know the proper words to the parts of a sword, etc.So excuse me if i confuse anyone.

I found this sword, looks old, it is in a purple swead type thing.(the thing u slide the sword into wraped around your belt.) and the sword is curved. It is gold on the handle. all metal/iron. looks hand made.the bottom of the handel has a animal hand out of its mouth is the end of the hand guard thingy. Which wraps around to the top. The blade has an interesting design. its a little short in being 27 inches long. the design on it is Like vine. on one side, it has what seems to be indian writing.on the other, bearly can be read, says veteran of joshua brigade. below that it has joshua 24:15. that lettering looks missplaced compared to the rest of the sword.

just wondering if anyone has any info on it. like if its worth $5 or $500. fake or real. doesnt matter to me, i just wanna know what it is and where it came from.
masterPD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2005, 12:53 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Welcome to the forum.
Please read the posting rules .
Appraisals are not among the things that are allowed for discussion .
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4
Having said that please provide pictures ; information on how to post them is included in the link provided .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2005, 03:39 AM   #3
masterPD85

well, now that you have done all the legal stuff, rules, and what not. please help me out. i found something that not even my grandmother or anyone in my family knows how it got there or where it came from. looks indian, seems indianish, so i need some help. Too bad its not a katana, it would look nice with my others if it was.
Old 23rd August 2005, 04:01 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Master,
Sounds interesting! Actually it sounds as if you do know something about swords....anyone who specifies 'katana' rather than 'a Samurai sword' clearly has more than lay knowledge of edged weapons Here we enjoy doing research on edged weapons and a swords monetary value has no bearing on its identification, and those 'legal issues and rules' can become extremely complicated when not observed.
So lets see a picture of this sword...."Joshua Brigade" ???even more fascinating!!! We love a good mystery!!!and look forward to helping you identify this piece.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2005, 09:38 PM   #5
masterPD85

well i know a little, but not much. i know some names. just a few.
i tried to get some pictures ready and got some, i dont know how goo dthey are.
im gunna try to put them on here, so i hope they show up, if not, then ill have to try something else, like by email or something. there the right format, but somehow something always goes wrong.

here they are(i hope)
Attached Images

Old 23rd August 2005, 10:23 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Hello,
What you have is nearly brand new and made in India and can be found everywhere especially antique shops and markets. Unfortunately they are of no interest to collectors. We all make errors of judgement even when you have been collecting for some years. If the sword has stired a hidden interest I would get a few inexpensive books and then have another look. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Rivkin

The blade looks like a second cousin to ths guy:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1065

This guy is obviously modern made, but the one I've post a link to is somewhat more interesting....
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2005, 11:42 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation

Here's a scenario :

Organized bible group buys Indian swords in bulk and has them custom etched .

Here's Joshua 24:15 :
" And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom you will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. "

Who knows ?
Old 24th August 2005, 12:53 AM   #9
Bill

Think Rick is right, Joshua Brigade, looks like it is a father & son Bible group in Manila. Maybe contracted out to India for a cheap, more flashy product. I'm writing to Gloria, the out-sourcing must be stopped.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2005, 12:56 AM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Holy Cow

You mean I am on to something with my wild speculation !?!
Hot damn !!

Thanks Bill !
Old 24th August 2005, 06:06 AM   #11
masterPD85

hey, thanks guys. now i got an idea of what i have now.
I kinda see where your commming from with the bible guys. Maybe it was a gift or item for sale from some missionaries to india.

THat sword that looked like a cousin to mine, lookes different. the etching is different. That etching looks more...modern. Mine lookes more old or indianish. that etching looks like the flower/vines found in old 1500's catholic bibles. That sword only has one vine going all the way down the blade. mine is covering it. Except for the edges.

Also, the gold on it, is old looking and warn out. Kinda has that antique look to it...and that old metally smell.(ewww... hate that smell)

thanks a bounch!!!!!!
Old 24th August 2005, 06:10 AM   #12
masterPD85

wow, now i see my pics. hehe they make the sword look brand new. u can kinda see the etching on the blade. it was kinda hard getting a good pic with the glare and all. If u could see it in person, up close its more too it.

one more note. its all faded. everything is. so u can only see detail in the light.

either ways, its just a sword purchased, slaped a title on it, and given to someone, and somehow ended up in my grandmothers house.