Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th May 2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Flavio

Thumbs up MY FIRST BINANGON

HELLO, THIS IS MY FIRST BINANGON, AND TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, I LIKE IT VERY MUCH AS YOU SEE THE HANDLE WAS LOOSE BUT WITH SOME CLOTH I WAS ABLE TO RE-CONNECTED THE HILT WITH THE BLADE AND NOW IS ALL VERY SOLID!!!!
JUST A QUESTION: DO YOU THINK THAT I HAVE OVERCLEANED THE FERRULE AND THE BRASS STRIPS ON THE SCABBARD? THANK YOU
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 10:22 PM   #2
ariel

It's like an old joke: a prospective groom is furious at his matchmaker because the bride-to-be is blind on one eye, has crooked teeth, broken nose, misses one ear, limps and is a hunchback. "Well', says the matchmaker," either you like Picasso or you don't"
Do you like patinated things showing age or shiny things, the way they left the workshop?
I think both are OK. Personally, I rather like the shiny brass on your Binangon. Very nice sword! enjoy it.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2006, 09:01 AM   #3
Flavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I think both are OK. Personally, I rather like the shiny brass on your Binangon. Very nice sword! enjoy it.

Thank you Ariel, like you, i like shiny things too
Old 20th May 2006, 01:50 PM   #4
Flavio

NO MORE COMMENTS???
Old 20th May 2006, 02:01 PM   #5
Alam Shah

Hi Flavio,

Philippines weapons is not my area...but this one is real pretty. I especially love the blade, a well constructed piece. The scabbard is also nice. The hilt is ok, I've seen hilts with added silver/tint on the hilt (eyes, nose, fangs and cheeks...I think) which make it looks more awesome. Congrats! and enjoy.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Flavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
Hi Flavio,

Philippines weapons is not my area...but this one is real pretty. I especially love the blade, a well constructed piece. The scabbard is also nice. The hilt is ok, I've seen hilts with added silver/tint on the hilt (eyes, nose, fangs and cheeks...I think) which make it looks more awesome. Congrats! and enjoy.

Thank you very much, Alam
Old 21st May 2006, 03:15 PM   #7
zelbone

Nice binangon .
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 05:15 PM   #8
blades

nice piece!

Can anyone tell me the difference between a binangon and a tenegre (visayas, the Philippines)? They look very similar to me in some of the pictures I have seen.

Does anyone know of a good book source?

Thanks!
blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 06:17 PM   #9
katana

Oh no.....I suspect that Flavio has been 'hitting the' vinegar .....AGAIN

Flavio.....please get some help....there must be a cure

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2638

I do like the blade..very nice
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2006, 06:52 PM   #10
Flavio

Hello katana, no problem, i haven't etched this blade and i will leave it as it is because i like it. Now my problem is not vingard but wine
Old 8th September 2006, 05:11 AM   #11
philkid

Hi Flavio, I may be wrong, but I think the pommel of your sword is new. The carvings and texture doesn't seem old enough. The blade is surely nice though. Did you put antique wax on the pommel and scabbard?
philkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2006, 03:59 PM   #12
Flavio

Hi philkid, no i use only oil. Do you think that the handle is new? I'd like to ear also from other members, please. Thanks
Old 8th September 2006, 05:39 PM   #13
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO JUDGE AGE AND PATINA FROM A PICTURE SO YOU WOULD BE BETTER ABLE TO JUDGE IF THE HANDLE LOOKS NEWER THAN THE SCABBARD. THE TYPE OF WOOD ALSO HAS QUITE A BIT TO DO WITH IT AS PHILIPPINE MAHOGANY DOSEN'T AQUIRE A LOT OF PATINA AND IF IT HAS NOT SEEN A LOT OF USE CAN REMAIN FAIRLY NEW LOOKING FOR A LONG TIME. THE OIL AND GRIME FROM HANDS PLUS THE WEAR FROM USE ARE WHAT CAUSES MAHOGANY TO GET A GOOD PATINA. I WOULD GUESS THAT YOUR EXAMPLE COMES FROM PANAY AROUND WW2 AND WAS BOUGHT NEW AND SAW VERY LITTLE IF ANY ACTUAL USE. LOOK UNDER THE FERRULE WHERE IT FITS UP AGAINST THE POMMEL FOR DIRT AND AGE IF THE WOOD IS NOT FRESHLY CARVED THERE I WOULD SAY IT IS NOT NEW BUT ORIGINAL TO THE ITEM. THE CARVEING APPEARS ABOUT AVERAGE BUT THE BLADE LOOKS TO BE OF VERY GOOD WORKMANSHIP A NICE FIRST EXAMPLE CONGRADULATIONS.
TAKE A LOOK AT THE POST ON VISAYAS SWORDS BY BLADES YOU CAN SEE SOME EXAMPLES OF PATINA AND WEAR. THE THIRD PICTURE BY RHYSMICHAEL SHOWS A HANDLE AND SIMULAR FERRULE TO YOURS EXHIBITING WEAR AND PATINA. THE BLACK HANDLES ARE EITHER OF A DIFFERENT KIND OF WOOD OR PERHAPS SOAKED IN PITCH OR SOMETHING TO PRESERVE THEM BETTER. I HAVE SEVERAL WITH THE BLACK WOODEN HANDLES BUT HAVE NEVER TAKEN THEM APART TO SEE IF THE WOOD IS NATURAL OR STAINED OR COATED WITH SOMETHING, PERHAPS SOMEONE ELSE WILL KNOW.

Last edited by VANDOO; 8th September 2006 at 05:51 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 09:42 AM   #14
Flavio

I have resumed this thread because i have remembered that when i have restored the handle first i have cleaned the hole in the handle where the tang have to go and in the cavity i have found some little pieces of a very old and deteriorated canvas. Maybe this isn't the proof that the handle is old, but anyway the old canvas could prove some age. Just an idea
Old 25th September 2006, 01:13 PM   #15
Bill M

[QUOTE=ariel
Do you like patinated things showing age or shiny things, the way they left the workshop?
I think both are OK. Personally, I rather like the shiny brass on your Binangon. Very nice sword! enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Flavio,

I agree with Ariel. I like the way your sword looks.

As far as shiny or patinated I try to understand the piece from the culture it came from and how they would keep their blades.

For instance it would be very wrong to keep a Javanese keris in old dress with heavy patination. IMHO the dress should be perfect and clean. Look like it was made yesterday and the blade also kept pristine and stained.

But this is an exception to my usual rule. I basically like warm, patinated old wood, or ivory, but I like the blades clear and clean. I believe most cultures kept their blades clean both from respect and preservation.

If there is repoussed or incised sliver, brass or bronze, I like to keep the patinaion in the crevices and just clean the surfce. This gives a nice depth to the metal, but if I overclean, it is easy to fix with "Liver of Sulphur."

I recently heavily cleaned an old Theyyam / temple sword. It is made of silver and had an overall dirty patination.

From the pictures of the current Thayyam in thier ritual trance dances, the silver always gleams. The sword I had was in a collection for many years and had acquired the overall dirty patination.

This felt very wrong.

Now it also gleams and seems happier. Can a sword feel????

I also try to communicate with the sword. I know this may sound strange, but I ask the sword to tell me how it wants to look. I may sit with it for hours in candle light meditation.

Most of the swords I acquire seem sadly neglected. And their spirits are sad. However after a bit of cleaning and some ren wax, a little smoke and they begin to brighten up.

While I am on this line of thought I also welcome them into my home and take them around and introduce them to my other pieces.

Metaphysically it gets a bit noisy at night when they are swapping stories!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 01:23 PM   #16
Flavio

Cool Bill, this night i will try me too, but with two bottles of wine !!
Thank you