Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th August 2015, 04:33 AM   #1
apolaki

Default Rapa nui paoa?

I'm sure this is a tourist piece, but how often does one turn up other than on the island itself where it is produced?

Does anyone have more detailed information about the paoa,what various uses did it serve in Rapa nui culture? I could only find that it is related to the Maori mere.

Thanks!
Attached Images

apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 08:39 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

HERE ARE A FEW EXAMPLES OF THIS RAPA NUI CLUB FORM. UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE VERY LITTLE INFORMATION ON THEM OTHER THAN THAT THEY ARE FROM EASTER ISLAND. I BOUGHT ONE IN 1974 AND IT WAS 17 INCHES LONG, OLD AND THE WOOD WAS COATED IN SOME BLACK STAIN WHICH WAS SHOWING WEAR. I HAVE SEEN OTHER EXAMPLES DESCRIBED AS MID 20TH CENTURY AND CIRCA 1960. MOST LIKELY MADE FOR TOURISTS BUT IT IS POSSIBLE THEY ARE REPLICAS OF REAL ARTIFACTS AS ARE MANY OF THE OTHER WOOD CARVINGS FROM EASTER ISLAND. I WOULD GUESS THEY WERE FOR CEREMONY'S OR TO REPRESENT STATUS AS THEY WOULD NOT MAKE A GOOD WEAPON. I THINK THEY ARE WORTHY OF A EASTER ISLAND COLLECTION AS THERE IS NOT A WIDE RANGE OF ITEMS AVAILABLE FROM THERE. PERHAPS THERE IS A COLLECTOR WITH GOOD REFERENCES OR INFORMATION ON EASTER ISLAND WHO CAN FILL US IN.
#1. MY CLUB 17 IN LONG
#2.& #3. SAID TO BE MID 20TH. CENTURY, 34 X 8 CM.
#4. SAID TO BE FROM THE 1940'S
#5. SAID TO BE CIRCA 1960
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 10:03 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely fascinating entry, and on an incredibly esoteric field...Easter Island!

Who better to respond with such pertinent detail and examples than Vandoo!!! Thank you Barry, wonderful examples and great input, now I want to learn more
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 10:05 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I agree, Jim .
Barry, you're a forum treasure .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 02:06 AM   #5
fireiceviper

These clubs are all made for tourists, as far as i know there was only the staff (multiple forms) and the small club (like a maori mere).

It would also be unlikely that this is some ancient style with no records and no known specimens; all but forgotten except for the few carvers carving for the tourist trade..

I double checked my books on the subject and it is not mentioned.

But i like the dark one, it is nicely carved.

Edit:: just noticed it look like a "pirate sword" i think this is where they got their inspiration

Last edited by fireiceviper; 27th August 2015 at 06:06 PM.
fireiceviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 07:13 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

CONJECTURE AHEAD.
WE OFTEN DISMISS ALL THESE ITEMS AS JUNK MADE FOR TOURISTS. BUT WHEN CONSIDERING THE TIMES AND THE SITUATION MANY OF THESE TRIBAL PEOPLE WERE IN, THERE IS OFTEN MORE TO IT. THE FIRST SPANISH WHO ARRIVED ON EASTER ISLAND WERE NOT MUCH INTERESTED IN SAVAGES OR THEIR ARTIFACTS ONLY GOLD OR TREASURE. THE ISLANDERS WERE LATER TAKEN AS SLAVES TO WORK IN MINES ON THE MAINLAND. THE TRIBE AND SOCIETY WAS ALL BUT DESTROYED AND COMPLETELY CHANGED. SOME FOUND THEIR WAY BACK OR PERHAPS SOME WERE NOT ENSLAVED AND REMAINED. LATER THE EXPLORERS AND SCIENTISTS CAME AND WERE INTERESTED IN COLLECTING ARTIFACTS. SOMEWHERE IN THIS PERIOD IS LIKELY WHEN THE LOCALS STARTED MAKING NEW TRADITIONAL OBJECTS AND PERHAPS SOMETHING LIKE THIS SMALL STRANGE CLUB. THIS PARTICULAR CLUB DOES APPEAR TO INCORPORATE TRADITIONAL EASTER ISLAND ART AS WELL AS PERHAPS ADDING A BLADE SHAPE FROM SPANISH INFLUENCE. AT ANY RATE THE ARTIST WHO MADE THE FIRST ONE SHOWED TALENT AND IMAGINATION AND HOPEFULLY WAS ABLE TO FEED HIS FAMILY FOR HIS EFFORTS.
SO PERHAPS WE CAN CLASSIFY SUCH ITEMS AS POST CONTACT ETHNOGRAPHIC OBJECTS. AFTER ALL THEY DO SERVE A PURPOSE FOR THE TRIBE MAINLY TRADE GOODS OR TODAY MOSTLY CASH FOR THE TRIBE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 09:26 PM   #7
fireiceviper

Guess what i found
Attached Images

fireiceviper is offline   Reply With Quote