Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th December 2010, 11:45 PM   #1
archer

Default Damascus ? Wahabi Jambiya

I don't know for sure, but, aren't these blades usually plain steel? This one appears to have a patterned blade is that rare?
It's a bit of a Christmas Miracle. Seems, I got this one on E Bay in October 2009. It and two wootz blades all went missing when they were miss sent to the
UK. A year later I've "won" it again. All I have so far are two sets of photos showing it's the very same blade. I'm keeping my eyes open for the others.
Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Atlantia

Is it possible that the blade is shear steel?

Why did it go missing the first time? (If you don't mond me asking)
I saw one like it one ebay recently (might have been this one) Altogether a very attractive thing, and looks like a cracking quality blade!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 01:32 PM   #3
ALEX

Good observation, Gene. It does look like shear steel. I do not think it has enough activity in the pattern to be considered sham wootz.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 06:27 PM   #4
archer

Default response

The seller sent me a wootz saddle axe by mistake and my purchases were sent to the UK. Where they ended up at the end of the E Bay 45 day grace period was unknown. I had sent the axe back and money was refunded. This is the other even nicer Wahabite. I don't have photos of the wootz Khyber knife shaped Kard. I thought this blade might be pushing Sham to the outer limits of the term, but Shear Steel it is most likely. It was hard to send the axe back but I really wanted the others too!
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Atlantia

Alex,
Thank you my friend. I have a liking for shear steel

Archer,
Are both of these Jambiyas on their way to you now?
I'm sure this thread will receive more replies, once things are back to normal after the xmas break.

I've only briefly had one of these long Jambiya. But I've admired them for a while now and as far as I've observed, plain steel is very much 'the norm'.
Mine has indications of lamination, and thickens to a shallow central ridge. I believe that is common (from those I've seen).
The first one you show, has a finely shaped blade with a very crisply cut 'fuller'. the steel is fantastic whatever it is and the blade is very beautiful. Certainly unusually so in my limited experience.
It also looks like it may have a swollen armour piercing tip!

The second is also very interesting and looks to have a very 'wootz like' strucure. It's difficult to have a definate opinion from the pictures. The silver work is stunning as well!!

Several members have examples of these long Jambiyas and are much much more knowledgeable than I, so hopeuflly will come into this discussion. Our friend Stu (kahnjar1) has studied these and in fact is completely reponsible for me 'noticing' them in the first place.
I'm sure he'll be able to tell you what sort of percentage of the many he's observed have blades that are not just 'plain' steel.

When it/they arrive, I'll be interested to see more pictures!

Happy new year
Gene

Last edited by Atlantia; 29th December 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 02:03 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Thanks Gene for your "faith" in my knowledge. I beg to differ regarding the knowledge as I believe we all learners. I do think that the second Jambiya shown by Archer is the nicest of the 2 and I do have one with a similar hilt but silver scabbard overall.(pic herewith). As far as the blades go, all mine appear to be just steel, but then I have not tried to etch any either.
Happy New Year to you too, and I hope the temps have gone up a bit!
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote