Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st April 2015, 04:03 AM   #1
RSWORD

Default 18th century Filipino sword

Would love some feedback regarding the iconography of this sword. The handle is Carabao horn that is very nicely carved and has developed a lovely luster and sheen from many years of handling. The handle is inlaid in silver and has a silver pommel cap. The figure is unlike anything I have seen on a Filipino sword. It appears to be a royal or even religious figure but in a very old European style. There is remnants of a silver chain around the head to go along with the top piece. Perhaps a crown. At the bottom of the handle is a carved naga of very high detail. Very interesting contrast to the figure. The blade is a very thick and sturdy blade but of Filipino style and probable manufacture. I guess 18th century for this piece given the patina to the horn handle, the style of dress of the figure, and the sense that this is very early Spanish influence of a much different flavor and quality to the late 19th century carved handles with moustachioed soldier heads. Those lack the luster and patina found on this grip. So, would love input about the figure and curious if anyone has run across anything similar in a collection or museum.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 05:52 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

VERY NICE ONE. I HAVE NOT SEEN ONE LIKE IT. THE FACE LOOKS CHINESE AND THE TECHNIQUES USED CHINESE STYLE AS WELL. THE CHINESE ARE MASTER HORN CARVERS AND THIS LOOKS MORE LIKE A BUDDHA FACE THAN A EUROPEAN ONE TO ME. IT IS LIKELY CHINESE WERE PRESENT IN THE PHILIPPINES BEFORE THE SPANISH SO TALENTED ARTISTS WOULD HAVE FOUND WORK THERE FOR WEALTHY SPANISH AS WELL AS WEALTHY PHILIPPIANS.
HERE IS YOUR PICTURE LIGHTENED UP TO SHOW THE FACE BETTER. THE HAT AND CLOTHES WOULD ALSO BE A CLUE AS TO WHO THE ARTIST WAS TRYING TO REPRESENT CHINESE OR EUROPEAN.
I WOULD CLASSIFY IT AS A LUZON BOLO AND IT PROBABLY HAD A NICELY WORKED LEATHER SHEATH.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 1st April 2015 at 04:19 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 01:05 PM   #3
drac2k

What an absolutely stunning piece !
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Rick,
I think Barry might be on to something; until I can see better pictures of the base of the hilt I would suggest it possibly represents a dragon .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Rick:

Very nice and unusual piece. I think Barry has probably identified this one for you. Would you say this is late 19th/early 20th C, or perhaps a bit earlier than that?

About 15 years ago when I was going to the Philippines regularly, I had reason to look into the history of Chinese migration into the Philippines. It predated the Spanish colonial period, continued through the Spanish colonial period, tailed off somewhat during the US colonial period (we had a little law called the Chinese Exclusion Act that was applied to the Philippines as well), and then picked up when the Chinese Communists came to power and wealthy Chinese were fleeing the country. Today Filipino-Chinese mestizos (to coin an archaic Spanish term) make up a significant fraction of the Philippines population.

During Spanish times the Chinese were restricted to Intramuros in Manila. They were encouraged to intermarry with Filipinos and to adopt Spanish names. They served mainly as traders and laborers but also there were a number of artisans. Chinese involvement in the southern areas of the Philippines has also been longstanding and in recent times Chinese businessmen have been particularly active in the gold mining on Mindanao.

Chinese foundries and silversmiths have long been known in the Muslim areas of the Philippines, and in former times Chinese pirates worked the trade routes around the Philippines and participated in slave trading.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 01:58 AM   #6
RSWORD

Thanks for the feedback so far. While I can see why you would think it could possibly be Chinese and certainly there has been a long Chinese presence in the Philippines for a very long time I don't think this is a Chinese face or a Chinese dragon. The horn comes across very dark in the pictures so I took a few more pictures outside to hopefully highlight the details a bit better.

Barry, I think you hit the nail on the head about the headdress and clothing being a distinguishing characteristic. If you notice from the side view, the hat which covers the forehead, goes all the way down past the shoulders. So quite a large and elaborate headdress. It was suggested to me that this style of headdress was found on religious persons of the late medieval time period. Someone else also noticed the silver chain going around the hat. Some of it is gone but imagine that going all the way around the hilt. Does this represent a crown? The silver pommel cap seems to fit with the carving if the headdress to suggest maybe a crown so this is why I commented it may be a royal or religious figure. I don't recall Chinese headgear of this form at all and I definitely don't recall any images of Buddha with a hat. The face just looks plump to me but not necessarily Asian.

The creature at the bottom of the handle is intriguing. Why is it there? It doesn't look like a Chinese dragon to my eyes. I have seen a dragon depicted in a few Filipino pieces and they look very much like the Chinese ones. Look at the side view of the creature. Look at how the mouth is carved as it is swallowing the handle. The shape of the mouth looks very snake like to me. But the eyes and string brow don't. That area looks more gargoyle or European in style. Is this suppose to represent a Naga done in enough European style that the owner wouldn't know? The symbolism of the 2 figures is what intrigues me. What do they represent.

As far as age I have hypothesized it is quite old. I think 18th century. I have handled many Luzon and other Filipino pieces over the years. The very finely carved ones still have texture to the grip and while they have worn spots there isn't a ton of wear. This grip has been handled enough that the horn has a sheen to it and has been polished quite smooth. That's something you can only really get from handling it and seeing it in person. Ron, Jose and Charles have all handled it and I would be interested in their opinion to age as well as anything else they have determined about this piece. I think turn of the 19/20th century is much too recent.

Here are hopefully better pictures to help along the discussion.
Attached Images

Old 2nd April 2015, 02:18 AM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

That is a very human nose on the figure at the ferrule end; not dragon-like at all .
More like a gargoyle .
There is no apparent Christian iconography that I can recognize .
Is that a nut peened over a threaded tang ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 04:13 AM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I have held this in person. Yes Rick the tang is peened over.

However, I disagree. The head gear and dress of the person seem to me to be that worn by clergy of the 18th century in the Philippines. Of course more research needs to be done. Also the eyes and facial features are not Chinese but more European in nature.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 11:35 AM   #9
RSWORD

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. I'm wondering if there would be any potential in researching the early carved crucifix from the 16-18th century that are often defined as Hispano-Filipino. I don't recall specific images of clergy but certainly the quality of the carving is quite high in those items and I wonder if looking in that area would provide any information regarding the symbolism of the clergy figure and naga/dragon/gargoyle on my example.
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:06 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
The head gear and dress of the person seem to me to be that worn by clergy of the 18th century in the Philippines.
This was my impression from the first time I've seen this nice bolo. But I have done some research in this direction but don't have found pictures. Could it be that the carving shall show a nun? Are there are any documented early nuns who have played a rule by the christianization from Luzon? Just a thought.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:29 PM   #11
Sajen

What is for example with Jerónima de la Fuente, died 1630 in Manila, a spanish nun, founder of the monastery Santa Clara in Intramuros, Manila and the first abbess. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeronima_de_la_Fuente Again, just a thought.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 3rd April 2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: add link
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 04:54 PM   #12
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THE REASONS I SEE CHINESE INFLUENCE IN THE CARVING STYLE. !. WHEN A CARVER CARVES PRIMARILY IN ONE STYLE FOR A FEW GENERATIONS OR TURNS OUT HUNDREDS OF CARVINGS OF ONE SUBJECT HE DEVELOPS A CERTAIN STYLE. IF HE HAS CARVED A FEW HUNDRED BUDDHAS WITH THE EYES CLOSED AS ON THIS EXAMPLE OFTEN THE FACES WILL ALL BE SIMILAR REGARDLESS OF WHO IT REPRESENTS. THOSE WHO LEARN FROM SUCH A CARVER ARE INFLUENCED TO WORK IN THE SAME WAY SO ITEMS CAN REMAIN SIMILAR BECAUSE OF THAT INFLUENCE OVER MANY GENERATIONS. BUDDAH IS OFTEN CARVED WITH EYES CLOSED PHILIPPIANS, SPANISH AND AMERICAN OFTEN ARE NOT. EYES CLOSED SIGNIFIES A SERENE AND GOOD PERSON OR GOD, OPEN BUGGED EYES USUALLY SHOWS EMOTION AND PERHAPS A FIERCE DISPOSITION IN ORIENTAL ART. I AM NOT SAYING THIS REPRESENTS BUDDAH JUST THAT THE FACE HAS MANY SIMULARITYS TO THE TYPE OF FACES OFTEN CARVED FOR BUDDAH. EVEN A NON CHINESE TRAINED TO CARVE BY A CHINESE OR ONE WHO CARVED IN THAT STYLE WOULD EMPLOY THE SAME TECKNIUES AND BASIC DESIGNS. A SMALL CHANGE IN THE EYES, DRESS, NOSE , BEARD ,ECT. WOULD CHANGE THE BASIC DESIGN TO PORTRAY THE SUBJECT COMISSIONED. A PICTURE OF 2 BUDDAHS THE LARGE ONE IS AT KAMAKURA JAPAN.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 3rd April 2015 at 05:20 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 12:35 PM   #13
David R

Whatever the influences, that is a stunning piece!
David R is offline   Reply With Quote