Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd November 2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Last tribes on earth

For those of you interested in cultural aspects from which ethnographic weapons spring, I would suggest obtaining a copy of the title discussed in this wonderul article.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-...-1226752048849

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 11:22 AM   #2
M ELEY

Wow! That looks like an amazing treatise on the subject of 'endangered' tribes. Might just have to pick up a copy. Thanks, Gav
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Sajen

Thank you Gav!
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Iain

Looks intriguing, does the book in question contain much text? Or is it more of a coffee table, glossy photo type of thing?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 08:39 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Looks intriguing, does the book in question contain much text? Or is it more of a coffee table, glossy photo type of thing?
Iain, Jimmy Nelson is a photographer, not an anthropologist and this is a book of photographs. There is some writing, no doubt, but this is hardly a treatise of tribes around the world as Mark suggested. However, as a photographer myself, calling it a "coffee table, glossy photo type of thing" seems to miss the point of what good documentary photography is all about. I have only seen a small sampling of the images, but i don't believe you will find a great deal of ethnographic weaponry in the images. What you will find is powerful and beautiful photography of all too quickly vanishing cultures documented much in the way the Edward S. Curtis documented Native American tribes at the end of the 19th century. It's on my amazon wish list for reasons completing unrelated to my collections of weapons.
Here is a link to the project website where you can view many more of the images.
http://www.beforethey.com
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 08:39 PM   #6
asomotif

Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: teNeues Verlag GmbH + Co KG (6 Sep 2013)
ISBN-10: 3832797599
ISBN-13: 978-3832797591
Product Dimensions: 37.8 x 30.2 x 5.4 cm
Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (7 customer reviews)
7 Reviews
5 star: (7)
4 star: (0)
3 star: (0)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)

You can check out Amazon for a few buyers reviews :

Quote:
"Jimmy has caught our attention with this and not only has the stunning images, but also includes a description of them and a section about teach tribe's history. The book is epic - it's the only word for it "
Quote:
" It is absolutely huge, beautiful thick pages, and absolutely packed with probably the most amazing, pixel perfect images of people and places that you have ever seen. I own and buy many books. This is right up there ticking every box imaginable - especially the price / value box - cannot believe you can get this once in a life time publication for this price. Again: Just buy it !
"
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Hhhhhmmm???
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Iain, Jimmy Nelson is a photographer, not an anthropologist and this is a book of photographs. There is some writing, no doubt, but this is hardly a treatise of tribes around the world as Mark suggested. However, as a photographer myself, calling it a "coffee table, glossy photo type of thing" seems to miss the point of what good documentary photography is all about. I have only seen a small sampling of the images, but i don't believe you will find a great deal of ethnographic weaponry in the images. What you will find is powerful and beautiful photography of all too quickly vanishing cultures documented much in the way the Edward S. Curtis documented Native American tribes at the end of the 19th century. It's on my amazon wish list for reasons completing unrelated to my collections of weapons.
Here is a link to the project website where you can view many more of the images.
http://www.beforethey.com
Hi David,

My question wasn't bringing into doubt the merit of Nelson's work, I was merely curious if it was purely graphically oriented or comprised of some degree of textual accompaniment.

Oddly enough I studied cinematography and focused on documentaries, so I've got a certain appreciation for the subject although I'm not fortunate enough to make much use of it these days.

Thanks for the link to the project website, much appreciated.

Last edited by Iain; 3rd November 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote