Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 13th November 2017, 07:15 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Keris Selit

Well, it's been a little slow around these parts so i thought i might perk it up a bit by posting this keris selit. I have assumed this one is from the Peninsula, but perhaps someone can pinpoint its origins further.
Here's what i know. These small keris (patrem size) are generally carried tucked into the waistband, often as a secondary formal dress keris. The name "selit" or "sisip" which literally means "insert", as into the waistband.
The blade is just a bit over 8 inches long (about 20.5 cm)
I would love to hear comments about this keris and more information around the tradition of these small keris within the Malay culture as well as see some of your own if you have them. Thanks!
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 07:05 AM   #2
mariusgmioc

Just a question: is the blade Buginese?

Regards,

Marius
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 08:55 AM   #3
Jean

Nice specimen, I wonder whether the blade has been shortened a bit? (slanted at the tip).
I attach the pics of 2 small Malay krisses from my collection (already shown, sorry), the blades are 16 cm and 22.5 cm long respectively.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 01:39 PM   #4
Green

David;

That's a very beautiful peninsula Malaysia keris selit. By the way, Peninsula malaysia people don't use the term keris patrem but just keris selit. It is usually worn by groom during wedding, when they use formal 'Malay busana'... Old traditional Malay attire. And also during any traditional events when Malay busana is worn.

Jean;

Your first keris is not from peninsula Malaysia, but I guess from Sumatra based on the hilt form. The second is not Malay too I believe. the blade is heavily stained (warangan) whereas malay blade is never waranged. The hilt of the second keris is Peninsula Malay hilt though.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 02:33 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
By the way, Peninsula malaysia people don't use the term keris patrem but just keris selit.
Thanks Green, i am aware of this. I did not use the term to name this keris. I only mentioned it was "patrem size" to give people a clear understanding of the size of the keris.
Old 14th November 2017, 02:41 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Jean;
Your first keris is not from peninsula Malaysia, but I guess from Sumatra based on the hilt form.
I agree with Green on your first keris and i'm not sure that it is specifically intended to be keris selit. Perhaps someone knows more about the tradition of such small keris in Sumatra. I would imagine that dependent upon what part of the island one is on traditions vary. But i believe in certain areas patrems are known. Perhaps further north closer to the Peninsula keris selit are known, but on this i am not at all sure.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:19 PM   #7
Jean

Quote:
David;

Jean;

Your first keris is not from peninsula Malaysia, but I guess from Sumatra based on the hilt form. The second is not Malay too I believe. the blade is heavily stained (warangan) whereas malay blade is never waranged. The hilt of the second keris is Peninsula Malay hilt though.
Hello Green,
I agree that the first kris is probably from Sumatra but not of a common type. I have used the word Malay in the broad sense so it is not equivalent to Malaysian.
Regarding the blade of the second kris, it was treated by warangan in Solo even if this is not traditional in Malaysia so you can't assess its origin based on this
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2017, 05:55 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
Hello Green,
I agree that the first kris is probably from Sumatra but not of a common type. I have used the word Malay in the broad sense so it is not equivalent to Malaysian.
Regarding the blade of the second kris, it was treated by warangan in Solo even if this is not traditional in Malaysia so you can't assess its origin based on this
Regards
I certainly understood your usage of "Malay" in this sense and also agree with you that you can't place the origin of a blade based upon whether or not it has received a warangan treatment since any blade from anywhere might get such a treatment dependent upon who its owner is and the customs of the area in which the blade travels and ends up.
I could be mistaken, but from my understanding Sumatra is a bit of a mixed bag culturally. Parts of it seem to be strongly under the influence of Malay keris culture while other parts (Palembang area) were strongly influenced by Jawa. So i wonder if the custom of keris selit was not known in the more Malay influenced regions.
Old 14th November 2017, 02:30 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Just a question: is the blade Buginese?
I believe the blade was made somewhere on the Peninsula. That is not to say that it has no Bugis influence, but in identification i would not call this a Bugis blade per se.