Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th February 2005, 04:42 AM   #1
eli

Default Kora Identification???????

Hi my name is eli kramer and I live in Portland, Oregon. Near my house there's a cutlery shop with two koras. And they looked intresting since they had gold markings on them. Anyway I tried looking for information on koras over the web but found very little. So I really would appreciate any help people can give me on these koras.

And is it me or do these kora have a much less curve than most do?
Attached Images

eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 04:15 AM   #2
JPSF

Eli, koras like almost all Nepalese weapons come in many subtle and not so subtle variations. The type you're showing is very typical of an early style (mid 17thc...early 18thc) with a brass or gold design of chevrons and usually circular shapes. The crescent moon and a sun are also common themes. The grip would also reflect some of the design. This straighter blade is also found in both Tibetan and Bhutanese koras, but yours are Nepali. The curve and shape seems to reflect not only age but determine type as a pure fighting weapon or one of ceremonial nature.
JPSF is offline   Reply With Quote