Any comments will be welcomed.
Attached Images

mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:04 PM   #2
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Any comments will be welcomed.
Beautiful khanjar, it looks like a merger of styles. The metal work reminds me of what I see described as being from kutch. Nice kundan, what is the scene in the blade, can you tell if it overlay or inset? Reminds me of the brass work seen on some Indian weapons blades.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 07:09 AM   #3
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Beautiful khanjar, it looks like a merger of styles. The metal work reminds me of what I see described as being from kutch. Nice kundan, what is the scene in the blade, can you tell if it overlay or inset? Reminds me of the brass work seen on some Indian weapons blades.
The scenes on both sides of the blade are elephants fighting and tiger hunting deer in koftgari (no brass work). Interesting that before I received it I also thought they are brass work.

The green stones I am pretty sure are glass but the red are rubies and the orange, probably agathe.
Attached Images

Last edited by mariusgmioc; 23rd September 2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 23rd September 2017, 07:29 AM   #4
estcrh

Quote:
The scenes on both sides of the blade are elephants fighting and tiger hunting deer in koftgari (no brass work). Interesting that before I received it I also thought they are brass work.

The green stones I am pretty sure are glass but the red are rubies and the orange, probably agathe.
Good picture, can you do the same for the other side? Looks to be a technique that is a bit more than koftgari, not sure exactly what you would call it. Is the metal under the carving treated in some way or is it rusted? Very unique, I do not remember seeing a blade made exactly that way before.
Attached Images

Old 23rd September 2017, 07:41 AM   #5
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Good picture, can you do the same for the other side? Looks to be a technique that is a bit more than koftgari, not sure exactly what you would call it. Very unique, I do not remember seeing a blade treated exactly that way before.
Yes, it is more. Basically the scene was first engraved on the blade, then koftgari was applied.

Cannot send more photos as I am in hospital now... trying to recover from a botched operation for appendicitis.
Old 23rd September 2017, 09:11 AM   #6
estcrh

Quote:
Yes, it is more. Basically the scene was first engraved on the blade, then koftgari was applied.

Cannot send more photos as I am in hospital now... trying to recover from a botched operation for appendicitis.
Never mind!!!....just get well, health is more important than anything else!!!!