Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th January 2024, 11:09 PM   #31
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Thanks very much I.P.
When I acquired this, I was thinking of Eskimo 'ulu', which are of course often in wide variation, but in a number of references showed examples which were virtually identical to this.
Hi Jim. You might want to consider using the word Inuit (Inuk for a singular person) as these days the term "Eskimo" is considered at best archaic and at worst derogatory.

Last edited by David; 23rd January 2024 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2024, 11:13 PM   #32
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
The top one looks like the handle is a socket.
I agree, which might well indicate this was indeed intended for flensing. The bottom one looks more like a leather working tool, despite what the online description may have been.
Old 12th January 2024, 11:30 PM   #33
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hi Jim. You might want to consider using the word Inuit (Ink for a singular person) as these days the term "Eskimo" is considered at best archaic and at worst derogatory.

Oops! I know better, sorry David, thanks for the good catch. Kinda embarrassing.
As noted in the thread, the bottom one is in fact leather working as I discovered when reaching the Whalers Museum. Good lesson in how reliable online searches can often be.
The other with obvious socket for shaft is clearly for the much larger flensing tool....I was simply drawn to the shape.
Never stop learnin' !!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2024, 03:25 AM   #34
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

David,
In retrospect, I have previously been aware of the issue with the term 'Eskimo' used as a collective term for these tribal people of the north (apparently claimed to involve peoples across the circumpolar regions from Siberia to Greenland), but it would difficult to refer to such a broad spectrum of diverse groups collectively without a common term.

In the 'old' days, I had a close friend from Alaska (Nome), who was of this heritage and always referred to herself as 'Eskimo'. Actually I had really not been aware until recent years there was any problem with this term.
In the references in which I saw the lunette type knives described as 'ulu' (I hope this term is correct and proper) it is noted to be used by Eskimo women. There seem to be a wide variation in shapes for these, so perhaps these might be attributed to specific groups or regions. In those cases where such data is known, I would agree classification might be better applied using specific rather than collective terms.

While I had heard of this 'pejorative' issue with the Eskimo term, I admit I did not understand it, I found this link online written by an individual who is Inuit. He notes that Eskimos are not Inuit; and vice versa. He also notes that in Alaska the Eskimo term is used when collectively referring to the Inupiag and Yupik. He notes the Eskimo do NOT like being called Inuit, and this goes back to issues in the colonial period. ...so certainly the Inuit do NOT like being called Eskimo. I think there may be the 'rub'.

The pejorative angle derives from an apocryphal tale regarding some distortion of a word by French trappers in translation, but that suggestion is questioned as the Eskimo term appears to have predated colonial contact and of course likely different meaning than the pejorative result from the French version.

While my original post here was of an item thought to be an Eskimo 'ulu' knife, which through useful responses revealed, to my disappointment it was something entirely different.

Here we have continued and valued opportunity to learn, and as I noted, I had heard about the 'Eskimo' term issue, but did not understand it , probably because of my past experiences with the friend I noted, as well as some extensive travel in the Pacific Northwest where I have a nephew. There I never encountered any specific discomfort with use of the Eskimo term in various elements where the topic arose.

Researching this further, I wanted to share this link to this site to add some different perspective, which I think would be useful in better understanding this issue.

Again, I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention. I always try to take care not to offend others, and with this I can be better aware of the boundaries in discussing matters in this anthropological context.

Best regards
Jim

https://www.aaanativearts.com/alaska...o-vs-inuit.htm

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 14th January 2024 at 04:02 AM.
Old 23rd January 2024, 05:53 PM   #35
David
Keris forum moderator

Yes Jim, you are correct that Inuit is not the best term to describe ALL these Northern people. I misspoke on that front. The term Eskimo was often applied to three main groups of people, Inuit, Yupik and Aleut.
I am not surprised that there many indeed be some Yupik, Aleut or Inuit who may use or at least not be offended by the term "Eskimo", just as there are Native American that have no problem using the word "Indian".
I believe that whenever possible the best thing we can do is to name a people as specifically and as closely to the name THEY use for themselves as possible. Even amongst people that do fall under the general description of Inuit we find various tribes within that call themselves by specific tribal names.

"Greenlandic Inuit generally refer to themselves as Greenlanders ("Kalaallit" or "Grønlændere") and speak the Greenlandic language and Danish. Greenlandic Inuit belong to three groups: the Kalaallit of west Greenland, who speak Kalaallisut; the Tunumiit of Tunu (east Greenland), who speak Tunumiit oraasiat ("East Greenlandic"); and the Inughuit of north Greenland, who speak Inuktun.
The word "Eskimo" is a racially charged term in Canada. In Canada's Central Arctic, Inuinnaq is the preferred term, and in the eastern Canadian Arctic Inuit. The language is often called Inuktitut, though other local designations are also used."

Though i certainly would respect an indigenous person's choice to call themselves an eskimo, that name, though debated as to actual origin, cannot be shown to be the legitimate indigenous name for the tribe of any of these arctic indigenous people.

-

Last edited by fernando; 23rd January 2024 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Please do not quote entire previous posts, just relevant small sections when necessary.
Old 23rd January 2024, 09:44 PM   #36
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

David,
Thank you so much for detailing this and explaining so thoroughly!
It seems the reference I had seen this 'ulu' knife in used the 'Eskimo' term, and as I had no geographic point of reference used that term not thinking of the pejorative implications.
You are clearly well versed in this area, and this has been very informative. In my future references to these peoples, I will certainly be more careful.
Thank you again,
Jim
Old 24th January 2024, 11:45 AM   #37
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

One other interpretation of the term ...

... More etymologically, there is a scientific consensus that the word eskimó derives from the word ayaŠkimew, which means "a person who ties up a snow racquet" and is related to "husky" (a breed of dog), not having a pejorative meaning in its origin.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote