Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd December 2008, 10:37 PM   #1
ALEX

Default Cut down shamshir?

The daggers with signed blades are quite rare, and most are formed from the cut down shamshir blades. Can this be taken as a proven fact? We can assume that the broken shamshir blade could have received a new life in a form of a dagger/kard, etc. in the past, but could the dagger/kard be originally created with the signed blade, just like shamshir would? Most interestingly, is there a way to tell:-)?
Below is an example of a signed in true gold inlay (AssadUllah+Shah Abbas Safavid) kard with the heavy 10''+ long and 1.25 wide laddered/Kirked Nardubanned:-) wootz blade. I know that most of us will assume it used to be a shamshir, but would love to hear some arguments/opinions.
Thanks to all!
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:45 PM   #2
spiral

Nice wootz, interesting that the handle shows no visible rivets on a full through tang though. Looks like re handled at least.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:50 PM   #3
ALEX

Last year++ ago I saw similar dagger sold by Ward on E-Bay. Do not remember details, but it also was AA signed and with nice wootz pattern. Hope Ward will know more to elaborate. Ward, do you remember if the cartouche was near the center of the blade of near the base, and is it important/means anything at all? Thanks!
Old 3rd December 2008, 11:20 PM   #4
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Nice wootz, interesting that the handle shows no visible rivets on a full through tang though. Looks like re handled at least.
Spiral
Thanks Spiral! It is indeed nicely forged and complex pattern.
Good observation and comment about the hilt. I did not mention it earlier, but it is definitely later replacement, even though it's ivory or walrus, it lacks proper patina, coloration, etc. Not sure if presence of rivets would indicate anything other than the method of hilt mounting, as some original hilts come mounted without rivets (ref: Manouchehr Korassani "Arms and Armor from Iran", pages 615-613, 622).
Old 4th December 2008, 09:48 AM   #5
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
Not sure if presence of rivets would indicate anything other than the method of hilt mounting, as some original hilts come mounted without rivets (ref: Manouchehr Korassani "Arms and Armor from Iran", pages 615-613, 622).
Thank you Alex, I wasnt aware of that, fascinating!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 03:57 PM   #6
ariel

I do not think it was born as shamshir.
Look at the border between the blade and the bolster: the edge goes a little bit up, somewhat similar to pesh kabzes etc.
No need to create such a configuration from a shamshir blade; it was made exactly that way.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 04:38 PM   #7
ALEX

Ariel, Thank you for the comment and it is neat as always. I noticed a nice, pesh-like curvature to the blade as well, and initially thought it was an original design. Do you think the center-positioned cartouche and fairly wide placed kirk rants (there are only 5 rants at each side) indicate othervise? Thanks again.
Old 4th December 2008, 10:29 PM   #8
ward

Alex mine had the cartouches closer to the ferrule than yours and the lower one was a lion. Also the blade had a pretty strong fuller along the spine.
I think you have to take these on a case by case basis no hard and fast rule. Some were probaly made as daggers others from sword blades.
Nice piece
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Gonzalo G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
Not sure if presence of rivets would indicate anything other than the method of hilt mounting, as some original hilts come mounted without rivets (ref: Manouchehr Korassani "Arms and Armor from Iran", pages 615-613, 622).
How does the slabs are secured in this type of hilt? By some kind of glueing?
Regards
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 10:49 AM   #10
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo G
How does the slabs are secured in this type of hilt? By some kind of glueing?
Regards
The slabs are still held by pins, but the pins remain "hidden" and do not penetrate the slabs throughout, but deep enough to provide a hold without coming out.
Also common on shamshirs... just like on my Avatar picture:-)
Esthetically it makes a good alternative to driving a metal rod through the ivory for the mounting purposes.
Old 5th December 2008, 08:08 PM   #11
Gonzalo G

Thank you for the information, Alex. I have seen this refinement in modern artistic sword mounts, but I didnīt know how they were made on this specific weapons. You have a truly great piece over there. I personally donīt think it comes from a broken sword. Is the blade very thick at the beginning? Because itīs general form does not seem to come form the point of a shamshir.
Regards

Gonzalo
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote