Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th September 2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Solomon, Hawaiian or????

Unusual club.

I bought this club (large one on the right) along with some others recently. I was quite taken by the size, age, weight, patina and honest wear to the piece. Whilst it has a Western Solomons feel to me, I can not actually pinpoint the region this piece came from. It might even be Hawaiian or another area of Polynesia .

The face is also a very nice aspect that appealed to me, not everyones 'cup of tea' though, dark voodoo apects and bound to frighten kids . It says to me that it is a protective charm with the eyes and mouth wide open, the sharpened teeth showing and that it is eating an arrow spells to me a powerful 'Come on, throw what you like at me, it aint going to work'.

I would be very interested to hear any thoughts to the origins or design elements of this example.

Gav
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 15th September 2010 at 09:40 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Ron Anderson

I have no idea what it is but I do like it.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 03:59 PM   #3
fearn

No clue here, either, I'm afraid. Definitely Post-Contact, wherever it came from. Possibly very Post-Contact. Might be a good door guard, though.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
No clue here, either, I'm afraid. Definitely Post-Contact, wherever it came from. Possibly very Post-Contact. Might be a good door guard, though.

Best,

F
Thanks Ron, Fearn.

My guess is the first half of the 20th century, metal tools have been used to incise the face. The warmth in the handle area shows me is was much used as does the wear to the base from resting on a non paved surface. There is a very nice build up of surface patina too and the chipping from strikes also shows the same stable warm age patina. The flash obscures the warth a little too
I feel strongly towards the Solomon regions but will wait to see what others have to say.

Gav
Old 15th September 2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Pondering

Whilst others are pondering, just diversing a little, what out there is known about the purpose behind faces on clubs, it does go back several hundred years, I imagine legend, stories and warding evil spirits and it is seen in so many Pacific cultures, actually everywhere in the world clubs are found I am sure these stories are abound.

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 16th September 2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 16th September 2010, 07:44 AM   #6
Ron Anderson

I think in some cultures there is some significance in having faces on clubs. For instance, those whalebones clubs of the NW Pacific. There seems to be significance there, though I personally don't know what it is. It may just be identification of clan/tribe.

In other cultures, it seems pure ornamentation. I think of zulu knobkerries, for instance, were the head of the club has been made into a head/face with nails for eyes. I suspect this has no deeper signficance at all, other than a clever utilisation of the form to create added interest. Art for the sake of art.

In this particular club, my guess is that it is a symbol of aggression. But that's just a guess. I suppose based on the fact that it reminds me of Maori artefacts (and the haka, for that matter), with the tongue sticking out – some kind of war-like challenge among Polynesians perhaps.
Old 16th September 2010, 04:22 PM   #7
fearn

Remember, for most weapons their primary purpose is to be seen, not used to hurt people. This is simple logic: societies where people go around swinging sharp things all day usually don't last, out of simple exhaustion.

That's why most weapons are ornamented. It's for that 80% (or 99%) of the time that they're not being used, and they need to just sit there looking scary, cool, or both.

Why not put a face on it?

Best,

F
Old 16th September 2010, 05:03 PM   #8
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Remember, for most weapons their primary purpose is to be seen, not used to hurt people. This is simple logic: societies where people go around swinging sharp things all day usually don't last, out of simple exhaustion.

That's why most weapons are ornamented. It's for that 80% (or 99%) of the time that they're not being used, and they need to just sit there looking scary, cool, or both.

Why not put a face on it?

Best,

F
Fearn

Most weapons are made to kill and inflict injury. I understand that in some tribal cultures some weapons are oversized or carved with scarey faces to add a psychological effect when it is seen by the opposing warrior or the carvings could be a form of status symbol within the tribe but to say that there primary purpose is to be seen and not to be used just does not sound right to me unless these are ceremonial weapons?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 10:36 PM   #9
Ron Anderson

Perhaps there is truth to the idea that weapons are created as much to deter conflict as to dealing with it when it occurs.

Or more correctly, weapons are created to enable you to win conflicts, and if they can do that without a blow being struck, all the better.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:40 PM   #10
fearn

Lew,

You might want to revisit: the weirdest sword thread.

A lot of weapons are rarely or never used, and while we can talk about how deadly they are, their real function, measured day by day, is to sit around looking scary, or cool, or both.

As an example, the US has spent at least US $4 trillion into a nuclear weapons armory that does nothing but sit around looking scary, and everyone hopes the damned things never will get used, by any country.

This isn't a discussion about US foreign policy. Rather, it's an example. Weapons can be totally deadly, but that doesn't mean they get used at all. Why not decorate them?

Best,

F
Old 16th September 2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Lew
(deceased)

Fearn

Some of those African pieces were used the ring knife was outlawed many years ago and my foot knife is the real deal these were self defense items carried every day in Africa. As far as the sock sword is concerned that was an experimental sword. The kora were used in Nepal for battle up until 1830-50. The African Ngala beheading swords were used back in the 1800s. All those nasty African daggers and swords were used and designed to kill at one time but evolved into status or ceremonial pieces later on in the late 19th and early 20th century.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 03:29 AM   #12
Ron Anderson

Obviously, the primary use of most weapons is to kill or injure.

However, a secondary purpose of many weapons is to bestow status or some sort, which is why they are ornamented.

Sometimes this evolves into the main function of the weapon, and the killing function, as can be seen all over the modern Western world with parade and officers' swords, disappears. This can also be seen with maces and other forms that have evolved into strictly ceremonial pieces in all regions of the world. And this includes the very abundant keris, which this forum devotes an entire forum category to.

So the fact that weapons as we know them are often not created to fulfill the function of weapons, even though they could, is a no-brainer.

But a weapon can both be beautiful and deadly and many weapons did and still fall into that category. Others are created with the intent to just look good. Others are just plain nasty functional things designed to hack, impale or bludgeon.

However, if that was the only purpose weapons had, I for one probably wouldn't be interested in them. Killing other people is an uninspiring activity for the most part. (I don't speak from experience, of course).
Old 18th September 2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Default Excellent

Excellent dialogue guys and some notions well worth exploring further.

I have looked further into the origins and firmly believe it is Solomon islands, 1940 up to and including WWII based on the design elements seen on other clubs from the regions, maybe a decade earlier .
It is I would say, due to the time period and all that was going on in those regions, a weapon and a protective amulet...others may suggest it was made and traded with occupying forces of the time....though in my opinion it has been used and handled too much for this...
A most unusual club of the region.
Vandoo, you must have something along these lines on your walls..what are your thoughts?

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 18th September 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 19th September 2010, 10:36 PM   #14
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

PONDERING INDEED
I FINALLY FOUND TIME TO LOOK THRU PARTINGTONS TOME BUT DIDN'T CONFIRM ANYTHING THERE. MY GUT FEELING WAS THE BISMARK ARCHIPELAGO (NEW BRITAN), (NEW IRELAND) OR POSSIBLY NEW GUINEA. THE DESIGN CRUDELY CARVED INTO IT DOSEN'T REALLY FIT WITH ANY OCEANIC DESIGNS, IT SEEMS TO BORROW FROM SEVERAL. IS THE DESIGN NEWER THAN THE CLUB? THAT COULD EXPLAIN A LOT IF IT WAS DONE BY SOMEONE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE TRADITIONAL DESIGNS OF THE TRIBE SO HE MADE UP HIS OWN.
I CONSIDER THIS FORM OF CLUB TO FIT IN THE SWORD STYLE OF CLUB DUE TO ITS SHAPE AND FUNCTION. THE CLOSEST I COULD FIND TO THE SHAPE IN PARTINGTONS WERE 1. PAGE 219 SOLOMON ISLANDS FIG #2,
2. NEW BRITAN PAGE #134 I WILL LOOK THRU SOME OTHER REFRENCES AS TIME PERMITS. NICE AND INTERESTING CLUB.

INCLUDED ONE PICTURE OF A SOLOMON IS. CLUB SIMULAR SHAPE BUT WITH THE USUAL SHELL INLAY. ITS THE CLOSEST TO YOURS I HAVE A PICTURE OF BUT YOUR DESIGN IS NOT TYPICAL FOR THE SOLOMONS.
ONE PICTURE OF SEVERAL CLUBS FROM THE BISMARK ARCHEPILIGO WITH TRADITIONAL DESIGNS.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 20th September 2010 at 03:44 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 12:19 AM   #15
Gavin Nugent

Default Thank you

Thank you for the most informative post Vandoo.
When I first saw this available, my initial reactions were New Guinea but only in so far as designs I am familiar with on many large shields from the mid 20th century. Once in hand and only then did Solomons ring true with me, the desgin element however still has me pondering. The design is by full inspection as old to me as the club itself and despite the 'simple' design it has been done by expert hands in my eyes as each and every stroke that has cut in to the timber has been done with one consistant fluid motion as there is no clear evidence of stop start stop start to the lower surfaces....I guess carving is like splitting timber, easier to do when it is fresh and green.
Another pointer I thought is the timber type and colour too, a type ususally seen in these regions, not a big clue, just a pointer.
I always enjoy a good mystery.

Gav
Old 21st September 2010, 04:56 AM   #16
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I LOOKED THRU A FEW MORE REFRENCES BUT I AM STILL FLOUNDERING ABOUT. IN THE TWO BOOK SET "OCEANIC ART" BY ANTHONY J.P. MEYER I FOUND. VOLUME 1 PAGE 129, BOTI LONG WAR CLUBS FROM THE EASTERN PAPUAN GULF.

VOLUME 2 PAGE 354, NEW IRELAND MALAGAN IMAGES
NONE REALLY FIT BUT WERE AS CLOSE AS I FOUND IN THOSE BOOKS.

THE EYE SHAPE IS FOUND IN TIKIS IN SEVERAL ISLANDS, TAHITI, BISMARK ARCHEPELIGO ISLANDS AND NEW ZEALAND. THE ROUND EYE AND EYE SLIT SHAPES ARE ALSO FOUND IN THOSE AREAS. I SUSPECT THE EYE SHAPE AS WELL AS THE MOUTH INDICATES IF THE FIGURE IS ANGRY OR PEACFUL, GOOD OR BAD.

THE PROTRUDING TONGUE IS FOUND MOSTLY IN AREAS SETTLED BY THE MAORI AND I SUSPECT THAT TRIBES DESENDENTS SPREAD INTO OTHER AREAS AS WELL AS NEW ZEALAND. SHARP POINTY TEETH ARE NOT A FEATURE OF THEIR CARVING DESIGNS AND THE SUN BURST PATTERN AROUND THE EYES ON YOUR CLUB DOSEN'T FIT WELL WITH OCEANIC DESIGN. PERHAPS THE CARVER WAS IN A HURRY AND DIDN'T CARE ABOUT TRADITIONAL DESIGNS. THE CARVING COULD PROBABLY HAVE BEEN DONE QUICKLY AND EASILY WITH A SMALL KNIFE.
TWO MAORI PICTURES , ONE TATOO AND ONE MASK
ONE NEW IRELAND ANCESTOR FIGURE WITH BIRD HANGING ON LIP
ONE MARQUESAN STYLE TIKI
Attached Images

Old 21st September 2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Gavin Nugent

Default Nice Vandoo, nice.

Nice array of images Vandoo.

I think the new Ireland image is closest thus far in design but the Solomons club previously is closest by design....very ponderous indeed considering how close the regions really are to each other.....

Gav
Old 21st September 2010, 10:23 PM   #18
fearn

Another thing I'd point out is nose shape: Melanesians tend to have long, arrow-like noses, and they tend to emphasize nose shape in their art. This is not a hard-and-fast rule, but it seems to hold true for their art, at least as far as I know.

Gav's club has a rounder nose, perhaps more Polynesian or Asian. But as Vandoo noted, those sunburst/eyelashed eyes aren't oceanic in a traditional sense, nor is the spear coming at the mouth. As for the spear going into the mouth? That's just odd.

I'm afraid I'm still thinking more modern on this one.

Best,

F
Old 21st September 2010, 11:47 PM   #19
Gavin Nugent

Default Modern

The Mystery continues Fearn, modern comes with many different ideas too.
WWII is by my standards considered modern history, the period I feel this comes from. Modern by others standard differ greatly I am sure.

Casting out a total speculation theory, which is half the fun of this unknown stuff, with regards to the design, if indeed from the Solomon regions, the Japanese and allied forces were ever present and painting and design elements such at this were seen on allied aircraft and no doubt other vehicles etc etc.
Perhaps this is an influence from being exposed to these things...perhaps seeing a gun at work for the first time and not knowning that they do not shoot arrows, this was carved with intent to protect from the lightning fast arrows these weapons shot....just thinking outside of the square...

Fearn, where do you think this is from and where do you think it dates?

Gav
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:24 AM   #20
fearn

If I had to guess, I'd say post-WWII Hawaii or similar western place. To me, the face looks like a sketch from someone who had some western art training. The club looks like it was made from a plank. I'd also say that the butt end is not well designed, in that it forces the user to hold the club near an anti-node. If the blade is hit, I would guess that the handle would vibrate quite a bit.

As for the wear marks, it could indeed have been used, but that use could equally have come from someone goofing around. I've got some things that now look like they went through a war. They didn't--I was just a dumb teenager seeing what I could cut and/or bash.

That's my opinion, I'm afraid. In this case, I'm hoping that the evidence says I'm wrong.

Best,

F
Old 22nd September 2010, 01:04 AM   #21
Gavin Nugent

Default more data

Quote:
If I had to guess, I'd say post-WWII Hawaii or similar western place. To me, the face looks like a sketch from someone who had some western art training. The club looks like it was made from a plank. I'd also say that the butt end is not well designed, in that it forces the user to hold the club near an anti-node. If the blade is hit, I would guess that the handle would vibrate quite a bit.

As for the wear marks, it could indeed have been used, but that use could equally have come from someone goofing around. I've got some things that now look like they went through a war. They didn't--I was just a dumb teenager seeing what I could cut and/or bash.

That's my opinion, I'm afraid. In this case, I'm hoping that the evidence says I'm wrong.

Best,

F
Thanks Fearn. I'll get some more data on the piece for you and draw some comparative data from the other clubs I have here too.
To question further though, post WWII is some 65 years, care to provide a little more accuracy to the comment?
Indeed the art in my eye could be revival school at face value...more reading and looking to do.
However when comparing this to other images above in loose design I am not so sure.
Vandoo the black and white Bismark plate above, do you know when they date from? I ask as when drawing paralells these too could be considered post WWII....still pondering...I am sure a reader out there knows more detail...feel free to write ;-)

Gav
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:53 AM   #22
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I WOULD GUESS 1920'S THRU 1940'S. FOR THE B&W PLATE THERE WAS A LOT OF INTREST IN THE SOUTH SEA ISLANDS DURING THAT PERIOD. MANY STUDIES AND BOOKS BY ANTROPOLOGISTS FROM MANY COUNTRYS WERE DONE THEN AND QUITE A FEW EVEN EARLIER. MANY MUSEUMS PUT TOGETHER THEIR COLLECTIONS DURING THOSE EXPIDITIONS AND STUDYS. MANY ARTHORS ALSO TRAVELED AND WROTE ADVENTURE BOOKS DURING THAT ERA AS THE EXOTIC SOUTH PACIFIC WAS THE BIG ROMANTIC FANTASY IN THOSE TIMES.
NOT BEING ABLE TO HANDLE YOUR CLUB I CAN ONLY GUESS AS TO ITS AGE. IT WAS LIKELY MADE BEFORE WW2 ,BUT MAY HAVE BEEN BROUGHT BACK DURING OR AFTER THAT TIME. REASONS FOR THAT GUESS ON APPROX DATE. ARE PATINA ON THE WOOD, REMAINS OF WHITE LIME IN CARVED DESIGN. THE CLUB MAY HAVE BEEN MADE FOR USE WITH TWO HANDS AND THE PROJECTING THICKENED END THERE TO HELP THE BALANCE. THIS FORM OF CLUB WOULD HAVE BEEN USED FOR HIGH SPEED FENCING AND PARRYING LIKE A SWORD NOT JUST FOR BONKING.
THE SWORDS I HAVE MENTIONED WERE OF THE SWORD FORM AND WITH CARVED DECORATION TO THE STRIKING END BUT MANY QUITE DIFFERENT IN MANY WAYS.
Old 22nd September 2010, 04:07 PM   #23
fearn

As for age, I tend to think 1940s-1950s, mostly because I have a 1950s era walking stick from my grandfather, and it has a similar patina.

As for the decorations, I'm a bit troubled by the "lime" on the spearhead, because it is white near an edge area that is battered. To me, this suggests that the pattern was (re)colored more recently than the edge damage. "Lime" is in quotes because it could be something else, like powdered paint or chalk, in addition to real lime.

F
Old 22nd September 2010, 05:54 PM   #24
Gavin Nugent

Quote:

Best,

F
Hi Fearn,

Where many are afraid to test pieces of their collections thinking ill will happen to them, I don't mind giving them a go in controlled circumstances, after all they are not made of glass and almost every piece was made to withstand the rigours of combat.
So I wrapped the head in a light handtowel and rubber bands this afternoon and gave it a few good whacks on the ole kick bag handing in the garage...I can hear the whinces in the crowd.

Feedback;
Single handed use on the cutting edge, no vibration at all and ain't nothing getting up if that hit you.
Single handed use on the flat side, ever so slight vibration...I mean tiny.
Double handed use, a fearsome well controlled weapon....

I gave these applications a go with meaning and to put it in perspective I am probably the size of most men from the regions.
A wood on wood contact in the flow of combat would differ little I feel but not to the extent of feeling any vibration through the cutting edge...

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 22nd September 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 23rd September 2010, 05:09 AM   #25
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
As for age, I tend to think 1940s-1950s, mostly because I have a 1950s era walking stick from my grandfather, and it has a similar patina.

As for the decorations, I'm a bit troubled by the "lime" on the spearhead, because it is white near an edge area that is battered. To me, this suggests that the pattern was (re)colored more recently than the edge damage. "Lime" is in quotes because it could be something else, like powdered paint or chalk, in addition to real lime.

F
Hi Fearn,

So I see your right on with my age assumptions too though I like Vandoo's better
In normal light what you see in not noticable though it you look real close under macro and flash as these images were taken, you can see the 'lime' inground in to the timber grain, my guess from when it was pressed into the carvings, all else are age blemishes to the timber. I'll try to find a suitable natural light over the weekend.
Do you know of difinative tests I can do at home to see if it is lime?

Gav
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:20 PM   #26
fearn

Tests for lime? Pure chalk will rub off, of course. But both chalk and lime are probably calcium carbonate, so they will test the same. The fundamental test for calcium carbonate is a bit of acid: vinegar, draino (a much stronger acid), or something similar. Calcium carbonate will fizz as it dissolves.

I don't recommend testing your club this way, because it's not clear whether you'll learn anything worth knowing for the damage caused. Moreover, there's not much lime involved, so you'd have to watch carefully for any little bubbles.

The more interesting question is superposition: there appears to be use damage, and there's a design. Which came first? Was the design retouched after the damage? It's even possible for a decoration to be applied after damage, although I don't think that's the case here.

Basically, if a dent mars a decoration, the decoration came first. I'm curious if there are cases where there is damage over the decoration, and then fresher lime reapplied inside the design, but overlaying a dent.

Hope this helps,

F
Old 23rd September 2010, 04:22 PM   #27
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

IF I REMEMBER CORECTLY LIME WAS MADE IN THE ISLANDS BY GRINDING CORAL INTO A DUST AND MAKEING A PASTE IT MAY HAVE BEEN BURNED FIRST THE PASTE WAS APPLIED TO THE CLUB PUSHING IT INTO THE DESIGNS AND THEN THE EXCESS WIPED OFF AND THE CLUB ALLOWED TO DRY. OVER TIME LIME IS LIKELY TO FALL OUT IF PAINT WAS USED IT WOULD NOT CRUMBLE OR CRACK AND FALL OUT. MOST LIME IS MISSING ON YOUR EXAMPLE SO IT IS LIKELY THE TRADITIONAL LIME. PERHAPS A CLOSE LOOK VIA MAGNIFICATION WILL TELL MORE WITHOUT DOING DAMMAGE.
Old 24th September 2010, 02:22 AM   #28
Gavin Nugent

Default have a look

Well, I was doing some image viewing on Google and look what I came across, not that it is club related but have a look at the Totems drawn in the top right side of the blog....similar features, teeth, tongues and features...some other direction to ponder???...I'd be interested in thoughts on these images even though they are drawn...the style must be drawn from somewhere in this region.....

Gav

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...:1&um=1&itbs=1

Last edited by freebooter; 24th September 2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 24th September 2010, 02:50 AM   #29
fearn

Well, I've attached a picture of a type of mask that I got from a vacationing relative, oh, 25 years ago. They still sell them in Hawaii, but I wouldn't call it traditional Hawaiian or even Polynesian. Tiki tradition? I don't know much about them.

This club could be in the same (ahem) "neo-traditional" vein.

Best,

F
Attached Images

Old 24th September 2010, 01:55 PM   #30
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Well, I've attached a picture of a type of mask that I got from a vacationing relative, oh, 25 years ago. They still sell them in Hawaii, but I wouldn't call it traditional Hawaiian or even Polynesian. Tiki tradition? I don't know much about them.

This club could be in the same (ahem) "neo-traditional" vein.

Best,

F
Fearn, vacationing relatives...did they souce the mask from the north coast of Java? I ask as this is where the link is from that I provided.
Does anyone have any knowledge of clubs or totems from the regions as I know I do not There must be something valid to the regions for this to appear on the page...anyone???

Gav