Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 29th April 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
rasjid

Default Keris Handle / Hilts Appreciation

Hi everyone,

I recently asking around (friends, bakuls, collectors, etc) in Jakarta their opinion in regards keris hilts. I know that some threads already display some nice hilts. I have my own opinion to what I like or to keep. (will update you later). How about yours?

If we are looking at the same quality carving on the handle we are going to buy, which one to choose? (in regards the hilts material)
The questions as follows:
1. Picture# 1: the wood shows "fire" (dont know how to express but you can see the stripes on this picture)
2. Picture#2: they have the "puser" which gives you magical power....
This location was told "good" for man.... One friend show me he got 4 puser in one hilt.
3. Picture# 3: Shiny, crystall clear and no marks. (so no magical power?? )
4. Picture#4: Silhouette / Shadow?

All the pictures are not the best around but just to give some ideas about the wood to choose from. We assume all made from tayuman wood and carving at the highest quality you can buy and similar age.

Thank you guys...
Attached Images

rasjid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Rasjid,

when I would have enough money I would take all four since it seems like you write that they all have a very good quality.
When I have to choose between all I get my problems, the one with the "puser" is very nice, the last one have a beautiful grain and the one with selut is nice since the selut is as well from very good quality.
I think that I would make my choice that I look to which keris I would attach this hilt. Sorry that I can't be from more help.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 02:44 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

This is an interesting topic Rasjid.

When a tukang jejeran makes a handle, he follows a very strict form and pattern. He will have a blak that the handle must fit with the most minute perfection. He may have inherited this blak from somebody in his family, or he may have developed it himself, but this blak will govern every handle that he produces, and will give it its overall form when it is viewed from both the side and the back. That form will create an impression in the knowledgeable viewer, and the impression will in most cases be pretty similar in all knowledgeable viewers. The impression created is the first step in appraisal of the handle.

Just as a blade can create an impression of bravery, or strength, or weakness, a handle can do the same thing, however as with the blade, the knowledge needed to interpret the feeling created by a handle needs an understanding and depth of knowledge that cannot be transferred in the absence of physical examples of handles.

Then there is the depth and symmetry of the cecekan, which again must follow a very strict form.

Is the base of the handle recessed to accept the mendak? Generally speaking, the base of a good quality Surakarta hilt will be recessed.

What is the type of finish that has been used?

French polish, traditional varnish, modern synthetic varnish, or has it been burnished by rubbing with a boar's tusk, or piece of bone?

Each of these finishes is of a different level of quality.

Then we have the type of wood that has been used. Tayuman is generally accepted as perhaps the most desirable, but there are many other woods that can be used, and a lower ranked wood that has desirable grain, or unusual features, could well outrank an ordinary piece of tayuman.

The appraisal of a handle can be almost as complex as the appraisal of a blade, and in my opinion can only be learnt in the same way, that is , by lengthy personal instruction from knowledgeable teachers.

However, you did not ask how to appraise a hilt, you set the parameter that all handles under consideration would be of the same material (tayuman), and of the same quality of workmanship.However, I don't think that it can be this simple.

Firstly we need to establish exactly what the features of a "good" quality handle are, for if we do not, the judgment of quality becomes subjective, rather than objective.

The flame grain in the bottom handle could be called "chatoyant" in English, "nginden" in Javanese.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 05:10 PM   #4
rasjid

Default Hilts Appraisal

Thank you Gentlemen,

@Detlef: If you have only one choice to own, which one? The selut is a bad example, because we are talking about the wood material only.

@Alan: Yes, I agree with your opinion and thank you for the word "nginden". (Thats the word I was looking for... ). Its a lot more into it, thats why I'm asking about the wood itself only. All Tayuman, same garap, same quality of carving but we all know that we dont have printing machine at home (and plus the finance controller at home ) so we have to choose one only and of course the best hilt for our best keris.

and again, my examples are not the #1 around (but this is all I have for example), so which character of wood do you consider to be the best?

I'm looking for personal opinion here and I'm also asking what is the choice for king or prince hilts handle? (I dont have the luxury to handle or own one).... yet
Old 29th April 2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasjid
Thank you Gentlemen,

@Detlef: If you have only one choice to own, which one? The selut is a bad example, because we are talking about the wood material only.

I'm looking for personal opinion here and I'm also asking what is the choice for king or prince hilts handle? (I dont have the luxury to handle or own one).... yet
Rasjid,

you ask a simple question which is to answer very difficult.
Maybe you can post a picture of the sheath from the keris to which you want to attach the hilt? I think that this is very important that the hilt matching together with the sheath. I personal like the one with nginden but like I write, this hilt maybe don't look good together with the sheath.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 07:19 PM   #6
rasjid

Hi again Detlef,

All my hilts already have their own sheats, I just want to know the general preference which type of wood material is the best according to keris owner.

rasjid
Old 29th April 2011, 11:02 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Hi again Detlef,

All my hilts already have their own sheats, I just want to know the general preference which type of wood material is the best according to keris owner.

rasjid
This is understood Rasjid, but i think that Detlef raises a good point. The hilt must work as an ensemble with the wrongko so the type of wood preferable must be at least partially determined by the wood of the wrongko. I think that like the blade itself, every hilt is going to have it's own character which may well be determined by many other factors other than the type of wood used. That character must also work with the blade as well as the sheath.
When i look at this type of planar hilt i generally first look for good carving and execution. I appreciate a deep, well cut cecekan, especially when parts of the carving contain pierced through areas. I love chatoyant (nginden) woods, but it wouldn't necessarily be the determining factor for choosing the ukiran. The next hilt, for instance, might have a more interesting grain ('puser' or otherwise) or i might prefer the coloring. I think that there are just too many factors involved to simplify how any particular person would choose from a group of equally carved hilts.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 12:03 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Rasjid, if we are to only consider the material, my choice would invariably be for the nginden grain.

Always.

However, and this is the point I was trying to make in my first post, if we are to consider the entire hilt, then we need to establish the parameters of quality in this type of hilt:- a hilt can be very well carved and finished, but when considered from a knowledgeable Javanese point of view, it might be a total failure.

Detlef and David have raised the question of the hilt as a part of an ensemble, and although I understand that this question is not relevant to your objective, it is something that perhaps could be considered.

There is yet another consideration, and that is the age, rank, character and body form of the person who will wear the keris, but again, this has nothing at all to do with your original question.

So --- if we just limit this to material:- gimme the nginden.
Old 30th April 2011, 06:35 AM   #9
rasjid

Yes David, the question is asking personal preference about the wood material only where other objects are not relevant (same quality, same age, etc); as Alan said: we limit to the material itself and we are talking Tayuman. This is not a tricky question, just which one you like - there is not right or wrong answer.
I agree with all the discussion in regards keris hilts on the previous post, other than mention by Alan and Detlef, your self, also colour of the hilts correspondent to the worongko colour, the height suitability with gayaman/ladrang or even personal preference by the hilt maker as well as mentioned by Alan.

Years ago, I understand that most Indonesian they prefer and willing to pay high price for the Blue Sapphire with bright stars, sometimes they told us: the brighter the stars the better (which is true if your stone is not more solid colour NOT crystal clear stone). But when you go to the higher level of appreciation, where you use the technology, certified stones, where mostly overseas / international market used than we are surprised that the Crystall clear (see through) with deep blue color are the choice and the best price for international market. If you are talking rubys, it has to be red deep colour (no pinky, no orange colour within the Red ruby color) but crystal clear and of course no clouds, no cracked, no bubble, etc. etc...

May be others can just tell us what is their material preference and if possible some other readers also have the luxury to own or at least seen what's choosen by the King/Prince or who ever in Kraton their choosen material? So we all learn as well?
Old 1st May 2011, 04:40 AM   #10
BluErf

I love nginden, but increasingly, perhaps with age, I'm beginning to like quieter grains. For a Javanese hilt, this is my preference. Some grains, mature deep colour, warm and steady, deep in thought.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 04:42 AM   #11
BluErf

Sorry for the wrong orientation of the hilt.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 05:27 PM   #12
rasjid

Thank you Kai for your comment and additional pictures.

I like the nginden material as well.
Few keris people that I asked, they also like the nginden hilt but the information I've got for kraton pieces (please correct me if I'm wrong - or some one get access with kraton pieces) are plain, shiny material - no nginden, no 'puser', nothing. Just clean, no mark. This is the reason I'm asking for opinion.

As my previous post in regards stones, the deep colour, crystall clear are highly priced. So as Kai mention in his post, quiter grains - deep colour are the choosen material?
Personally I agree about this matter.

Anyone ? opinion?

thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:25 AM   #13
A. G. Maisey

Rasjid, I feel that perhaps you might need to be a little more specific in respect of "kraton pieces".

Exactly what do you mean?

Many years ago I was fortunate enough to handle a number of keris that belonged to the Surakarta Karaton. Some were Karaton pusakas, some were keris that had been gifted to various members of the royal family, some were keris that were identified as being for future gifts. My memory is that none of these keris had dress that was remarkable in any way, and many of the keris were very, very ordinary from the point of view of art appreciation.

However, I have also seen the some dress keris worn by various members of the Surakarta Karaton heirarchy, and some of these were sufficient to send you blind.On the other hand some others were quite plain.

Different keris dress can be worn for different occasions, and different dress can be deemed suitable for wear by different ranks. Thus "karaton pieces", or "karaton keris" is not really enough to base a comment on.
Old 4th May 2011, 03:36 AM   #14
rasjid

Hi Alan, yes, I agree with your previous posting that I have to clarify about the Kraton pieces.

I'm trying to get general preference about the wood material from Keris collectors. I myself prefer the nginden type after a while I prefer the clean type material (as Kai, mention - maybe quiter grain) which in fact will improve the overal worongko and handle suitability.

My points for choosing the tayuman wood material (only); as previous post that quality of the carving at its best - please comment:
1. The handle height should be Not too tall and not too short (nice to look at) which shows the personality for the owner.
2. prefer quiter grain wood material, smooth no marks.
3. The colour should be darker than the worongko.
4. If the handle has the Selut, the total height (point#1) will affect the total appearance thus normally we choose a lower handle to compensate additional height of the selut. May be ladrang type more suitable for handle with selut? Comment? anyone?

Thank you Alan for your addtional info in regards your experience in handling some keris from Surakarta Karaton. I was told that Karaton pieces own by the Prince is similar with your explanation; in regards the handle -> its plain grain, no "puser" ; which supporting your last post as well.

Thanks again.

rasjid
Old 4th May 2011, 04:03 AM   #15
A. G. Maisey

My comments in response:-

1)--- yes, the hilt needs to be in correct proportion to the wrongko, but the wrongko itself is perhaps more important as a match to physique, character, age & rank of the wearer. Thus, it starts with the wrongko, and the hilt matches the wrongko.

2)--- if we are talking about the hilt alone, my preference will always be for the most outstanding grain available, however, if we are talking about the hilt as a part of a complete ensemble, the hilt will need to match or complement the wrongko, this could mean a dead plain grain, it could mean a material other than tayuman, it could mean anything.

3)--- As a general rule, yes, but exceptions do occur; for example, cendana wangi will virtually always be lighter than the wrongko, but it can be an outstanding hilt material, and is highly prized. Its a matter of taste and overall appearance.

4)--- Yes, correct, ideally a hilt should be carved specifically for a selut, and yes, a selut does look better with a ladrang wrongko.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:44 AM   #16
rasjid

On addition to my previous point:

May be the handle "weight" also play an important role because when valuating Keris, I also holding the keris and feel the weight distribution throught out the blade and "tang ting" as well. Any comment anyone?

I always prefer the balance distribution somewhere around the tip of sogokan area. I have experience with new blade made by pak Subandi - solo which I supply my own high carbon steel for the core blade. The blade is too heavy from normal keris (core too thick) but finally I have a big/thick Solo ivory to match) and better weight distribution.

thank you.
rasjid
Old 4th May 2011, 11:43 AM   #17
A. G. Maisey

Rasjid, we started off talking about just the material in the handle, and now we're going into factors such as balance when the handle is fitted to a keris.

I'm not so sure exactly where we're headed.

As you've already remarked, tayuman is a preferred material for handles. It is a very dense wood and will sink in water, so this throws the balance back into the hand. However, it is an absolutely lousy wood to wear in daylight, ideally it should never be kissed by the sun, or you will very possibly end up with some unsightly splits in it. Ideally, tayuman should only be worn at night.

So --- are we now going to consider all the possible factors that can apply to a Central Javanese planar hilt?
Old 4th May 2011, 04:56 PM   #18
rasjid

[ So --- are we now going to consider all the possible factors that can apply to a Central Javanese planar hilt? ]

I don't know Alan, previous post already discuss the hilt's material.

Alan, my last post about the additional point (weight distribution at hand on keris) which I personally thought should be consider when you attach your choosen hilt.

As Detlef and David mention in earlier post, there are other factors to be considered when you mix n match Javanese hilt with the keris. I agree, is there anymore points to add according to the standard of a knowledgeable keris collectors?

thanks
rasjid
Old 4th May 2011, 11:49 PM   #19
A. G. Maisey

Rasjid, I'm not too strong on what "knowledgeable collectors" consider to be correct. I do not consider myself a collector --- although I once was --- and I do not necessarily accept that which is accepted as knowledge by the bulk of collector groups.

What I have noted amongst the people I know in Solo is that when a hilt is mated to a keris, the major considerations are all directed at achieving a harmonious visual presentation when the keris is worn.

The totality of the ensemble is considered when mating it to the person who is to wear it.

I would guess that weight distribution and point of balance could be a consideration for a dancer, or perhaps a silat practitioner, but in my experience it is not considered when preparing a keris for wear, nor for display, and those two matters are the principal ones considered in modern Jawa.
Old 5th May 2011, 04:53 AM   #20
rasjid

Thank you Alan for the insight regarding your last post.
May be due to my other hobby that I have a few knives that I bought and make as well than this habit carry forward to my keris collecting that I like to handle a keris which also has a good balance at hand.

regards,
rasjid
Old 31st May 2011, 03:55 AM   #21
ferrylaki

[QUOTE=rasjid]Hi everyone,

A very interesting topic.
I recently focus my observation on my Jogjakarta and Surakarta Hilt, and I finally come with a short conclusion about "cecekan" in keris hilt.
I found this small "mark' on my hilt.
I've search for the same "mark" on several keris hilt (with various "cecekan" quality) and I found that the better keris hilt always shows this "mark".

I haven't take the picture on Surakartan hilt yet, but I know its there indeed.
come on, have A look at your keris hilt, it might have the same "mark" as mine.
it's a very small carving but comes in a very good detail.
this is my best Jagjakarta hilt, kemuning wood with chatoyant" or, "nginden" .
Attached Images

ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 01:16 PM   #22
David
Keris forum moderator

[QUOTE=ferrylaki]
Quote:
Hi everyone,

A very interesting topic.
I recently focus my observation on my Jogjakarta and Surakarta Hilt, and I finally come with a short conclusion about "cecekan" in keris hilt.
I found this small "mark' on my hilt.
I've search for the same "mark" on several keris hilt (with various "cecekan" quality) and I found that the better keris hilt always shows this "mark".

I haven't take the picture on Surakartan hilt yet, but I know its there indeed.
come on, have A look at your keris hilt, it might have the same "mark" as mine.
it's a very small carving but comes in a very good detail.
this is my best Jagjakarta hilt, kemuning wood with chatoyant" or, "nginden" .
Interesting observation. I must say that i did a quick check of what i know to be my finest examples of Jogyakarta and Surakarta hilts. I chose ones that were deeply and expertly cut and also had pierced-throught parts of the carving as well as quality woods. I am uncertain of the wood used on the Jogya, but is of the "crystal clear" variety and beautifully finished. The Surakarta hilt i examined is a fine nginden example. On the Jogya there is indeed some similar marks, but rather than merely being carved into the wood they are worked into the sculptural relief carving of the cecekan. The Surakarta example, which is both, IMHO, a finer wood and a finer carving does not have this feature at all so i am uncertain that it can be seen as a specific indicator of quality.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 01:40 AM   #23
ferrylaki

[QUOTE=David]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrylaki
Interesting observation. I must say that i did a quick check of what i know to be my finest examples of Jogyakarta and Surakarta hilts. I chose ones that were deeply and expertly cut and also had pierced-throught parts of the carving as well as quality woods. I am uncertain of the wood used on the Jogya, but is of the "crystal clear" variety and beautifully finished. The Surakarta hilt i examined is a fine nginden example. On the Jogya there is indeed some similar marks, but rather than merely being carved into the wood they are worked into the sculptural relief carving of the cecekan. The Surakarta example, which is both, IMHO, a finer wood and a finer carving does not have this feature at all so i am uncertain that it can be seen as a specific indicator of quality.
I only have a few example of Jogja hilt.
I must say that the 'mark' does not appear in every jogja hilt.
this particular 'mark' could be indeed shows an advanced carving tecnique,
or is it just another addition to show a special skill of the hilt maker.
I did compare my hilt with my friend's thus we found the 'mark' does appear in a good quality jogja hilt.
Attached Images

ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:34 AM   #24
rasjid

@Ferrylaki, from your picture second from left, I also have a few hilts (jogja) that shows the vertical lines both left and right side of the carving.
I believe it is the trademark from certain maker or area which always have similar or higher grade of carving but I'm not saying without this marking, other hilts are not as good.

I have a few of this type and quite happy with the quality.

regards,
rasjid