Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th February 2016, 07:55 PM   #61
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfberth
Salaams Ibrahiim

Of course all is relative to the situation as place, timing and opponent, warfare or civilian use.
However I do like the following quote:

"never overlay thy selfe with a heavy weapon,
for nimblenesse of bodie, and nimblenesse of weapon are two chief helpes for thy advantage" - Joseph Swetnam,
The Schoole of the Noble and Worthy Science of Defence, 1617

kind regards

Ulfberth
Salaams Ulfberth...Wise words indeed !!
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 08:22 PM   #62
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams All, I note from Wikepedia, Quote" Late survivals in the modern period.

However, there are paintings from the middle of the 18th century that still show practitioners using long swords at the late fencing schools of the Marxbrüder and Federfechter. Historically, it cannot be verified if the techniques and practices of this training were anachronistic or an actual descendant of the original Liechtenauer tradition.

In 1726, Gottfired Rudolf Pommer auf Bugenhagen mentions in his publication "Sammlung von Merktwurdigkeiten" (collection of oddities) the use of long swords at the time in fencing schools of the Marxbrüder and Federfechter. Most fencers of the 18th century viewed long sword fencing as a curious thing and it was probably only taught in the few remaining fencing schools of the Marxbrüder and Federfechter and some stage fencing schools. The very last practitioners of long sword fencing may be slowly extinct with the dissolution of the Marxbrüder and Federfechter around the end of the 18th century and the early 19th century. The Swiss newspaper Neue Zürcher Zeitung mentioned on 16. April 1862 the death of an unnamed, 76-year-old (former) member of the Marksbrüder (who was a practitioner of fencing in his teenage years in the early 1800s, and was born 1786), which was possibly the very last living member until then''.Unquote.

Please also see https://fechtschule.wordpress.com/

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 6th February 2016 at 08:34 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 05:22 PM   #63
Cerjak

Default a new set of pictures

Take a picture of two hands sword is really not easy and need many trials before to have good result.
This set had been made with days light.( for me the best light if you don’t have studio)
I was really not happy with the old pictures posted about this sword so I have made a new set ,I’m sorry that the site don’t hallow bigger size it would be much more better in their original size !
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 05:41 PM   #64
ulfberth

An impressive and beautiful sword Jean Luc and good pictures to !

kind regards

Ulfberth
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:14 AM   #65
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Jean Luc for the upgraded photos, and for reviving this interesting thread.
Ulfberth, in rereading this thread, I wanted to thank you for the remarkable input in analyzing the physical aspects of this weapon, and to Jasper as well in discussing these.
While myself, I am more a historian studying the origins and development of forms, markings and placing various weapons in historic context, you guys are able to discern key aspects of the weapon's character physically.

This seems incredibly hard to do from photos, and even then there must be factors you must consider which are difficult to discern. Also, the very much hands on experience of you both and others who participate in commenting regarding these aspects.

We all have various angles of approach in these studies of weapons, and put together, they culminate into valuable archived resources like this thread.
Like so many other threads like this, the knowledge gained and shared is outstanding!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote