Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 14th June 2015, 06:59 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Statue I.D. No 2 Please.

Hi,
I think these are incense burners but again I'd like to know the what, when and where. Thanks again for any help.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 08:48 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Anybody any clues?
Regards,
Norman.
Old 17th June 2015, 05:46 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THEY LOOK LIKE MODERN REPLICAS OF ANCIENT CHINESE BRONZE VESSELS. SOME OF THE OLDER REPLICAS ARE MUCH MORE DETAILED AND PATINATED LIKE AN ORIGINAL. THE OLDER STOCK HAD NO MARKET AND HAD BEEN SITTING SINCE THE TAKE OVER OF MAO. SINCE CHINA OPENED UP MOST OF THE OLD STOCK HAS BEEN SOLD AND NEW LAWS THAT EVERYTHING OVER 100 YEARS FORBIDDEN EXPORT. SO SOME OF THE OLDER REPLICAS ARE NOW AGAINST THE LAW TO EXPORT. THE REPLICAS BEING MADE NOW ARE NO WHERE AS NICE AND OFTEN ARE BEING MADE USING MODERN MACHINES AND TECKNIQUES. THERE ARE GOOD BOOKS IN THE LIBRARYS ON CHINESE BRONZES AND SEVERAL GREAT EXHIBITIONS HAVE TOURED AMERICA SINCE CHINA OPENED UP ,SO YOU CAN SEE SOME AUTHENTIC EXAMPLES. GOOGLE WILL LIKELY TURN UP SOME INFORMATION AND PICTURES AS WELL.
HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES TO LOOK AT FOR NOW. MOSTLY OF THE OLDER REPLICAS BUT PERHAPS AN ORIGINAL? #1. & #2. TYPICAL SHOP IN CHINA SHORTLY AFTER CHINA OPENED UP TO THE WORLD AND BEFORE THE SALES CAME AND SHELVES EMPTYED OF THE OLD STOCK. #3. THRU #12 VARIOUS CHINESE BRONZE FIGURES AND VESSELS. THE CHINESE BRONZES ARE VERY UNIQUE AND COOL AND THEY ARE MASTERS OF BRONZE WORK I AM SORRY TO SEE THEIR WORK BECOME LESS THAN IT WAS IN THE PAST. HOPEFULLY THERE WILL BE THOSE WHO WILL MASTER THE OLD TECKNIQUES AND KEEP DOING THE HIGH QUALITY OF WORK THEY ARE CAPABLE OF.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 17th June 2015 at 07:59 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 10:13 PM   #4
Norman McCormick

Hi Barry,
I've narrowed the i.d. down to bronzes of beasts from the mythical land of Himmapan. I bought them as curiosities and on the understanding that they were most likely relatively recent so the possibility of Chinese manufacture is no surprise. Many thanks for all the info.
My Regards,
Norman.