Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2012, 03:06 AM   #1
ALEX

Default Indian made Kilij

This "Pala" just sold on eBay for $4K (Item# 280935749770). The handle and crossguard are new. Anyone else thinks the blade is new? The buyer obviously did not realize it:-(
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

These are not my specialty. However, the wootz does remind me of the "eye" swirl of the modern Indian stuff. Still........maybe real.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 03:43 AM   #3
laEspadaAncha

This was on my Watch List.

Then as it neared closing, it was on my Watch-Like-This --> List.

That's a lot of cheddar for something so... clean. I actually had a number in mind I was willing to gamble for it, but it didn't just pass that number... it laughed at it dismissively as it tore right past it at wide open throttle.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 06:32 AM   #4
A.alnakkas

Yep, a new piece. Infact, Kult of Athena website sells one very similar. What a shame really, totally not worth 4k.

On the other hand, the saif that went for 3k was actually owned by a shaikh in the past, congrats to whoever won it :-)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 10:14 AM   #5
AJ1356

I'm gonna go with newer, it is not wootz but pattern welded damascus steel. $4k imo is lots of cheddar for this item.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Atlantia

Good catch as always Alex.

Signes of etched 'grey' even under the hilt scales, no wear, no oxidisation, no patina etc.
But very nice work on the blade.
The day is nearly here when pattern welded blades will all be suspect.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
On the other hand, the saif that went for 3k was actually owned by a shaikh in the past, congrats to whoever won it :-)
beautiful one ...
I tried to get it, but has been quickly out of bid ...
to far in consideration of my financial abilities

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
This "Pala" just sold on eBay for $4K (Item# 280935749770). The handle and crossguard are new. Anyone else thinks the blade is new? The buyer obviously did not realize it:-(
Hi Alex
too many times I saw bid going over than 1K U$ for brand new "pala" displayed in Syria for less than 280U$ ... before bargain

we can do nothing to alert these people, they should check by themselves before buying

but it's a real shame that these vendors, who are dishonest in the descriptions, for example;
- describe it as, ancient weapon, having seen many fights ...

but they never give a date or era, playing on the "fuzzy" for, to don't be accused of cheating

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 04:51 PM   #9
ALEX

It is easy to blame the seller. But most, if not all, responsibility shall be on the buyer. With this particular Kilij, any "collector" should be able to spot the fake. If not, they're not ready to collect, and need to gain more experience, knowledge and expertise before plunging their money.

To A.alnakkas - as for the "other saif": any evidences that it was "actually owned by the sheikh"? The blade decorations are awfully crude and low-quality. What makes this sword any good?
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 05:01 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Agree with Alex; there is a lot of 'fat wallet/thin brain' syndrome out there .

Caveat Emptor .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 03:34 PM   #11
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
To A.alnakkas - as for the "other saif": any evidences that it was "actually owned by the sheikh"? The blade decorations are awfully crude and low-quality. What makes this sword any good?
Hey Alex, sorry about the late reply.

I thought the inscription were good enough actually. It said something "Shaikh someone - Nejd" it testifies that its made in nejd, a place where you wouldnt expect fine inscriptions to be found on swords. Also, people overrate the quality of fittings + decorations on blades used by bedouins. A bedouin shaikh is not necessarily someone who can afford a fine sword (by fine I mean a persian assad Allah saif with fine fittings) Most of the fine golden fitted swords were done after the oil boom in the gulf and alot of them trace back to gifts given by the Saudi Royals. and finer wootz blades are still actually refitted in such gold fittings etc in Bahrain, KSA and Qatar. Syria aswell.

Also, I have a random picture of one of the emirs of Kuwait wielding a rather normal quality saif while greeting a British ambassador. Heirlooms of tribal shaikhs also tend to be of average quality. For example, sword of a known Otaiba shaikh who also happened to be a famed warrior/poet, is crude and ment for business.

I think also, Ibn Saud's famous sword was actually called Al Ajrab (means the scabbed one. A testimony to its crudeness and rust marks) So its not all glamorous for older generation shaikhs who were actually shaikhs because they deserved it ;-)

It could be a fake though :P
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 07:48 PM   #12
YataganMan

Default Indian made new pala

Re Indian pala,
Gentlemen,I have been patiently reading all the treads in re Turkish /ottoman
edged weapons.I find some remerkable good comments as well as some ridicilous ones.On this occation (the Indiian made pala ) all is new ,ıt is a cheap imitation including the cross guard.Please give a good look to the Koftgariwork ,3rd class ,nothing to do with Ottomans.Similar were up on sale at some of the famous Auction houses.I warned two of them and the items were delisted,
Regards to all
Yataganman
YataganMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 01:14 AM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1356
I'm gonna go with newer, it is not wootz but pattern welded damascus steel. $4k imo is lots of cheddar for this item.
Good catch. I meant pattern weld.

I also noticed that upon second look the koftgari is more of the newer wire style used in India today.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 07:10 PM   #14
kronckew

reminds me of this current indian made one for around $549.50 (plus $18 to sharpen it) i've been considering buying. they have a few in stock.
even comes with a nice scabbard. shipping from the USA is a bit steep tho. guess the tidbit of koftgari adds a few thou...
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 07:51 PM   #15
David R

Ouch! Auction fever, I would be very disinclined to part with real money without handling the item.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote