Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 29th March 2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Unknown European Sword

Hi,
I'm hoping you can help me I.D. this sword. O. A. length 38 inches, blade length 33 inches. Gilt fittings, rain guard, grooved wooden grip with wire wrap. Blade is flexible and seems well tempered. There are no blade stamps or marks that I can find. Some small nicks in blade but of course this could mean something or nothing!
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 29th March 2017 at 07:42 PM.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 04:48 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Norman,
Hard to find anything specific on this as it seems to be a 'Historismus' oriented court sword very much in Italianate style (the heads facing varied directions) and likely 19th century. Arms of these types were I believe accoutrements which were limited and pretty much isolated as far as production. One would have to identify the heads as to the symbolism or allegorical significance, and the Italian nature simply fashionable in these times.
I had thought of somethin fraternal, but there would be markings or symbols in blade inscriptions. Interesting and attractive piece, and maybe somebody out there might have more insight.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 09:07 AM   #3
carlos

There are similar swords from Spain.
In spanish webs are similar, in Google You could search " espada de ceņir Toledo " ordenar "espadin Toledo "
Carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Norman McCormick

Hi Jim,
Thanks for having a shot at this. I suspect this is a 19thC continental court sword possibly Iberia or France. The attached images are tagged as French court swords although I couldn't verify the veracity of this opinion.
My Regards,
Norman.

Hi Carlos,
Thanks for the links. There are a quite a few similar so I guess we are on the right track.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Old 4th April 2017, 08:03 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very nice sleuthing Norman!!!
This one has been driving me nuts and as Carlos noted, the hilt style in very much in line with Spanish officers swords, but this classical noir theme is really a puzzle. I found a bronze Chinese sword (B.C.) which had a warrior or human face forward, with the Chinese type dragon heads on each side facing outward in the same configuration.
It is clear this is a courtly sword of some kind, and in this sphere (Iberia, France and Italy) classical themes seem to have been employed allegorically quite often in material culture, extending into weaponry fashion.

It would be great to find out what this arrangement means, and it is amazing you found these other examples!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 09:27 PM   #6
carlos

Another similar sword ...
Attached Images

Old 4th April 2017, 10:24 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Hi Carlos,
I think you've hit the nail on the head. The first sword C1850 has more or less the same configuration re pommel and crossguard as my sword. I would now say with reasonable confidence that my sword is a Spanish officer's sword from the reign of Isabella II. The blade on mine seems more substantial than those illustrated and being of a reasonable length it may be a dress sword for cavalry rather than infantry. Many thanks for your efforts on my behalf.
My Regards,
Norman.
Old 5th April 2017, 12:25 PM   #8
carlos

Thanks to you , thanks for post this beautiful sword !
best regards
carlos
Old 6th April 2017, 08:33 AM   #9
Hotspur

The pommel is familiar enough that I'll add this one I had bought as French. The grip is plastic.

Cheers

GC
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote