Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd May 2005, 03:46 PM   #31
wolviex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu Transylvanicus
Wolviex, how about the prestigious Krakow Museum library, anything you can dig up would be appreciated !
Of course Radu, I have just ordered Jahrbuch (yearbook) of this Museum and I'll check it for you in few days + some books and catalouges . I have checked few so far but I couldn't find anything so far

Regards!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 03:43 AM   #32
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have been detached from my computer for the past two days, and you guys have really been busy with this one!!! It really is a fascinating topic that Radu has brought up, not to mention what a fantastic sword this is. I did take along some books, and although everybody is hot on the trail already I wanted to add some material that may be pertinant.

The 18th century was in my opinion one of the most fascinating centuries for the development of swords, and considerable geopolitical activity between Asia and Europe. Obviously trade between the orient and occidental countries was long standing but during the 17th century became more pronounced especially with the Dutch East India Company. As has been mentioned, the Namban period in Japan led to more pronounced contact with many countries and one instance I found interesting in research some time ago, was the presence of a Sinhalese kastane in a Tokyo museum from the Keicho mission in 1613-1620. This example is one of the earliest examples of the familiar kastane known in present form. This Japanese diplomatic mission visited Mexico, Spain and Italy, then the Philippines. (Bulletin of Sendai Museum, Tokyo, 1998, #18, pp.28-62).

While the Transylvanian example certainly has an obvious resemblance to a Japanese katana or wakizashi, I do agree that this has profound European gestalt as an interpretation of an Oriental sabre. I am inclined to agree more with the likelihood of Chinese influence, and that this may be an interpretation of a Chinese peidao. It is important to note however that the disc shaped hand guard (tsuba) distinctive to the Japanese sword was adopted some time prior to the latter 15th c. During this and the 16th c. the Japanese imported many swords into China and the Chinese adopted this form guard (in China the huba or hu shou) almost exclusively by mid-Ming dynasty( "Introduction to Chinese Sabres:The Peidao of the Ming through Qing Dynasties", Philip Tom & Scott Rodell, 1999). By the 18th century, the Qianlong Emperor (1736-95) was expanding his frontiers to the west. It would seem quite likely that there would have been even more pronounced contact with Europe via Central Asia and the Silk Road than had been extant for many centuries.

In the 18th century there was also a great call for fashionable swords for the gentry and nobility with the development of smallswords and highly decorated court swords. One popular style applied to many of these was 'chinoiserie' (Fr. Chinese motif) which used techniques and decorative motif reflecting Chinese subjects.
In "The Smallsword in England" (London ,1945, p.57-58) J.D.Aylward notes that the smallswords decorated in Chinese style and often known as 'Tonquinese' were probably made for the Dutch East India Co. in Peking rather than in Tonquin c.1710-1750. It is noted that the company brought some Chinese workmen to Europe where they produced in Amsterdam hilts of similar smallsword character and were fitted with blades made in Holland and in Solingen. These hilts were of the typical 'Tonquinese' black shakudo bronze.

With the European fascination with the orient during these times, and with the competitive and ambitious efforts of Solingen in its rapidly evolving edged weapons industry, it does not seem unlikely that they could produce high quality blades much in the manner of swords of the orient. It seems quite likely that a Transylvanian maker such as Thomas Kapustran might well have produced a fashionable gentlemans sword in such oriental style, and might have been influenced by weapons that had come to Solingen via Chinese workers from Holland. Equally, the interest of the French courts in 'chinoiserie' motif certainly must have been apparant in Transylvanian courts with the alliance with Louis XIV, and an order for a superb weapon such as this would have made quite a fashion statement.

Very much looking forward to hearing more on Radu's query to the museum.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 09:43 AM   #33
Tatyana Dianova

I have seen this sword many times in Dresdner Ruestkammer, in exposition together with other East Asian weapons (some katanas and kerises). If I remember correctly, it is stated, that the blade of this sword is of Japanese origin, and handle of Europenean.
Greetings from Germany,
Tatyana
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 01:49 PM   #34
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Tatyana:

Thank you and welcome to the Forum.

Perhaps you could help direct us to the latest catalog or other reference material that may have a picture or more information about this sword. Radu will feel highly vindicated if the sword has a Japanese blade.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 02:31 PM   #35
Radu Transylvanicus

Oh , ITS GOOD TO BE ME sometimes ! ... Tatyana, you are a Godsent angel, any chance you can take that a step further besides verbal confirmation ?
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 05:12 PM   #36
wolviex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu Transylvanicus
Wolviex, how about the prestigious Krakow Museum library, anything you can dig up would be appreciated !
Bad news Radu - in Dresden museum Jahrbuch from years 1959-1987, there is nothing what could help us with this sword. I will seek further. I really hope that someone from Dresden's museum will answer you, it may solve many our problems at once.

Regards!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 07:01 PM   #37
Radu Transylvanicus

Well... Tatyana has seen it with her own eyes, she saw it, next to are you ready: another one European styled sword "a la Japonaise" ... So we know its still there sitting next to someething similar.
The sad part is I received no answer from the Dresden Museum so far, perhaps it takes long to process their e-mails ...
There is also this of course, I hope she is OK with quoting her :
Quote from Tatyana Dianova:
"I have seen this sword many times in Dresdner Ruestkammer, in exposition together with other East Asian weapons (some katanas and kerises). If I remember correctly, it is stated, that the blade of this sword is of Japanese origin, and handle of Europenean.
Greetings from Germany,
Tatyana
"
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 02:45 AM   #38
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While my opinions on the origins of this sword align more with the suggestions that this entire sword is of European manufacture, made with composite impressions of Asian swords which were well known via trade and diplomatic relations...it would be very exciting if Radu's guess was right

Using evidence at hand, which includes a photo of only a small section of the forte of the blade, and an account of a museum label accompanying the sword and stating the blade is of oriental origin, it is clear much more proof is needed to prove this either way.

As I have mentioned in my earlier post, there was considerable diplomatic and trade activity with Japan during the 17th century, and it does seem remotely possible that a Japanese sword may have come into the Eastern European sphere via the Dutch East India Company. It is important to note that the Japanese did not engage in the trade of blades, and if a sword would have been issued or presented diplomatically, it would have been fully furbished.
Why then would a Japanese blade be mounted with an interpretive European hilt? and how would it have been obtained. The only plausible idea I can think of would be that a Japanese blade being kept in the shira-saya scabbard and apart from its mounts might have become separated from the hilt elements.
If this was the case, and if the sword carries historical data associated with its apparant importance, it seems the museums display would offer more.
Hopefully this will be forthcoming when Radu hears from them.

If, more likely, a Transylvanian swordsmith created this beautiful example it would be a testament to the outstanding craftsmanship of these ateliers for not only mounts, but blades as well.

In a thread some time ago, a similar case arose when we noticed a photo of the Sioux Chief Red Cloud, in his home c.1880's. On the wall behind him was clearly a Japanese katana! The discussion ensuing tried to determine what in the world was a Sioux Chief of the American Plains doing with a Japanese sword? It was pretty much agreed that the sword had come to Washington via diplomatic contact with Japan, and apparantly was given to Red Cloud in similar circumstances while he visited Washington during treaty engagements.
Later, more research suggested there were possibilities of swords coming to this continent from Asia, especially Japan via trade networks to the Northwest.
Another interesting instance of Japanese swords found in unexpected settings was a reference in Petersons "Arms and Armor in Colonial America", where a 'Japanese cutlass' is mentioned in an inventory sheet from the colonies in the 17th century. No explanatory data or further reference occurs, but the mention seems dynamically unusual!!

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 07:57 PM   #39
Tim Simmons

Note sword.Painting by Harmen Steenwyck,c1640http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/jamhappy/Picture.jpg
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 07:58 PM   #40
Tim Simmons

Notesword.Painting by Harmen Steenwyck,c1640http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/jamhappy/Picture. jpg
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 12:57 AM   #41
Gavin Nugent

Default BUMP

As this is one of my all time favorite swords within these pages so I wanted to bring these two threads together.

In the below link, Tatyana notes in post #3 reference to this sword being discussed.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...den+armoury%27

Post #4 shows more detail of the sword and its Japanese scabbard and the others of a type are shown in post #3.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 07:44 AM   #42
Tatyana Dianova

Another example of the trade activity with Japan during the 17th century, via the Dutch East India Company, is the sword and the cane below. The very fine Sakudo fittings were made in Japan in 17th century for the European market, and were mounted in Europe on the dress sword blade. The Tsar Peter the Great has presented the sword and the cane to the August the Strong of Saxony during his trip from Holland to Russia. The second, very similar sword he has kept to himself – it is kept in Kremlin Armory in Moscow, and it was exhibited earlier this year in Dresden (see ‘Zwischen Orient und Okzident: Kunstschätze des Kreml von Iwan dem Schrecklichen bis Peter dem Großen’ catalogue). Most probably, he acquired both swords in Holland.
I was lucky to see the both swords, but it will be difficult in the future: the Peter’s sword returned to Moscow and the August’s sword is not exhibited anymore… The whole Dresdner Armory (I mean exhibition rooms :-) has moved from the old large hall in Zwinger to the newly restored Dresdner Palace, and has got less place and much! less swords shown… Especially the European collection has suffered… So the blurry pictures I have taken in the old armory, where I have spent earlier many hours, look pretty nostalgic to me…
Attached Images

Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 08:11 PM   #43
asomotif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatyana Dianova
The very fine Sakudo fittings were made in Japan in 17th century for the European market, and were mounted in Europe on the dress sword blade.…
Also note the same kawa / rayskin on the scabbard
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote