Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 29th March 2023, 08:45 PM   #1
Akanthus

Default German Hunting swords , thoughts and facts

I would like to attemp a short summary about facts and thoughts regarding German huntingswords of the 17.th century.Any friendly comments are welcome.
If you look around in museums,collections and auction catalogues,you will often find huntingswords there.However,if you are looking for 17.th century pieces these a rather rare,as the vast majority comes from the 18.th and 19.th century.
But what are the characteristic features of a German huntingsword of the 17.th century and how and why was it used ?
The direct line of ancestors runs from the Germanic seax to the „ Hauswehr" ,an all purpose tool that could be found in almost every house of those times.A medium-length knife,that was used for work,defense and hunting.Than ,step by step,in the 17.th century a weapon emerges,that can ultimately be characterized as primarily for hunting use, the huntingsword.
Usually the blades are single-edged,rather inflexible,50 to 60 cm in length,without ricasso and with or without fullers.The blades have a variety of decorations,such as deers,wildboars or even hares.Rather simple pieces don't have any decor.According to Döbel and v. Heppe,backblades were used,so that the dogs that grabbed the game ,could not be injured so easily.Frevert says the tip should not be too pointed ( Knochengierig) ,to avoid the blade getting stuck in the bone of the game
The hilts of the early pieces are made from iron.There is a crossguard and a knucklebow connected to it, which is about half,three quaters or full length of the grip.The knucklebow either ends freely or has a connection to the grip.Ironcut decorations are often found, depending on rank,name or the financial possibilities of the owner.
To increase the torsion stability from blade and hilt,the crossguard is often perforated by the blade,so that you can see the blade through a recess in the crossguard.( Pic.2) Welded ferrules also hold the blade.
Shell-shaped guardplates are often found,which are usually bent towards the blade.The guardplates are almost always welded or riveted ( Pic.3 ) to the crossguard.The later form of guardplate attach ment,using a ring on the guardplate that is pushed over the tang( Pic.4)is rare in the early times,but common in the 18.th century.
The tang of the blades is formed flat and griplike and the gripplates are fixed to the tang by hollow rivets ( Pic.5) These are filled with a small piece of wood and decorationnails are fixed there.So from the side you can see the handle-shaped tang between the gripplates.( Pic.6) In Germany you call this „Heftmontage".Another way to fix a grip to the tang ( Angelmontage),is less common in the early times.Here you put the grip over a narrow tang.The end of the grip often looks like a stylized bird's head,with it's „ beak" towards the knucklebow( Pic.7+8).
But why did huntsmen develop these weapons in the 17.th century ? Surely it's caused by the changed hunting techniques.In addition to the „Hatz" ,where the game was hunted from horseback with dogs,the enclosed hunt ( Eingestelltes Jagen) developed.(Pic.9 ).Here a lot of game was captured in an area ,which was fenced by high rags.The game was killed by a group of hunters in close combat. In the confined space and in the general confusion,the use of firearms was dangerous.This resulted in the need for a shorter,less unwieldy weapon in comparison to the pigsword( Sauschwert).Also the boarfeather ( Saufeder) was used here.Interestingly,on the wonderful pictures painted by Valentin Wagner in 1633 on the occasion of a boar hunt by Landgraf Georg II.von Hessen Darmstadt,you can also see hunters with non -hunting edged weapons participating the hunt.( Pic.10) In addition to it's hunting use ,the hunting sword was also used in cases of selfdefence in those uncertain times.Last but not least it was a symbol of honor for the hunter and was ceremoniously handed over and allowed to carrie only after a education of several years, concerning hunting skills and rules.
Something else about German nomenclature :
The weapon of the 17.th century i have referred to is called „Jagddegen“ in German.The heavy huntingsword ( Jagdschwert) is the weapon of the mounted hunter of the 16.th century.The „ Hirschfänger" is the huntingweapon of the 18,th century.Seifert, the grandseigneur of edged weapons says : „ The „ Jagddegen" is a short „ Jagdschwert" or a long „ Hirschfänger“.
For me the huntingswords of the 17.th century are fascinating ,because they have a heavy and stabile appearance.They seem to be a combination of tool and weapon and are made for rough hunting use.Later forms of hunting weapons are changing more and more to status symbols ,rank signs and costume decorations. This should not exclude their hunting use in many cases.
Thanks to Jens,that i was allowed to take pictures from some of his great huntingswords.
Literature :
- Gerhard Seifert, Der Hirschfänger,1973
- Herbert H. Westphal, Hirschfänger,Zur historischen Entwicklung jagdlicher Seitenwaffen
- Frevert Walter,Das jagdliche Brauchtum
- Döbel,Jägerpractica, 1746
- V.Heppe,Aufrichtiger Lehrprinz oder Praktische Abhandlung von dem Leithund ,1751
- Niddaer Sauhatz von 1633
Attached Images

Akanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2023, 09:36 PM   #2
Akanthus

Default Gernan hunting swords .Facts and thoughts

Sorry,i forgot to show Pic.5
Attached Images

Old 30th March 2023, 03:57 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very interesting topic. While the 'hunting sword' is of course presumed for use obviously in the 'hunt' many of these often transcend this specific designation into other use and intent. However as seen in references such as "Catalog of European Court Swords and Hunting Swords" (Bashford Dean, 1929) these types of swords are closely related in many cases.

The hunt was the tradition and pastime of the elite from nobility to high gentry and fashion was of course of the highest order, with weapons most important .
The styling of the elements of the hunting sword was of course often more 'rustic' than the typical highly embellished court sword, but still the styling was made to impress.

This example I have is clearly with the elements of stag horn and features similar to these shown, and carrying traditional conventions of style since the previous century. The monogram on the blade is the CT of Carl Theodor (1724-1799), Charles IV Elector of Palentina and Duke of Juelich-Berg from 1742 to 1777.

What is interesting here is the profoundly notable yataghan style blade. In the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-1748), there were various supporting forces for Maria Theresa and the Habsburg Empire. These included units of Pandurs, auxiliary forces who favored oriental fashion and weapons such as the yataghan. Many of these were volunteers from Slovenia (Croatia) and other Balkan and East European regions.

It is possible this may have been such a sword, but the point is, the hunting sword in many cases was found employed in other uses.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2023, 05:05 AM   #4
M ELEY

Awesome collection of early hunting swords! Your research is very thorough! Not much to add but did want to point out (as Jim already did!) that many of these 'hanger' types also found their way into use by infantry and naval connections. The short, stout blades were ideal aboard the decks of very (over) crowded ships and it has even been said that the serrated blades originally meant for trussing game could be used to serrate rope, slash away fallen sails, etc. Likewise, many of these courtly swords were a show of prestige amongst naval officers.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2023, 02:05 PM   #5
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanthus View Post
The tang of the blades is formed flat and griplike and the gripplates are fixed to the tang by hollow rivets ( Pic.5) These are filled with a small piece of wood and decorationnails are fixed there.So from the side you can see the handle-shaped tang between the gripplates.( Pic.6) In Germany you call this „Heftmontage".Another way to fix a grip to the tang ( Angelmontage),is less common in the early times.Here you put the grip over a narrow tang.The end of the grip often looks like a stylized bird's head,with it's „ beak" towards the knucklebow( Pic.7+8).
Does this tang mean that within the German Guild system that these were made by a knife maker like the langes messer, not by a sword smith?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2023, 03:08 PM   #6
awdaniec666

Very interesting information Akanthus!
I always wondered if there is any specific reason for hunting swords to have defensive elements (guards) on them with obviously more function than preventing a slipping of the hand towards the blade. Do you know something in this direction?

I also have a hunting sword or hanger in my collection which seems to be later (late 18th century ?). Feel free to comment on this because I´m unable to determine its age and origin!
Attached Images

awdaniec666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2023, 05:09 PM   #7
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
Does this tang mean that within the German Guild system that these were made by a knife maker like the langes messer, not by a sword smith?
They certainly have a lot in common. Not just the tang and riveted grip plates, but the presence of a nagel-like hand protection riveted to the guard, and general shape of the grip.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2023, 07:15 PM   #8
Akanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
I don't think that the way of grip attachment gives a clou to the manufacturer.The " Heftmontage " predominates in the first half of the 17.th century .Later ,up to the 18.th century the " Angelmontage " prevails.Certainly also a question of fashion and area of the smith.In those times arises a spezification of craftsmen.One group made the blades ,another did finish and sharp them,others made the grips and connected them with the blade.But certainly there were skilled blacksmiths outside the centers of weapon builders which were able to built a complete weapon with their own hands.
Old 30th March 2023, 08:00 PM   #9
Akanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdaniec666 View Post
Very interesting information Akanthus!
I always wondered if there is any specific reason for hunting swords to have defensive elements (guards) on them with obviously more function than preventing a slipping of the hand towards the blade. Do you know something in this direction?

I also have a hunting sword or hanger in my collection which seems to be later (late 18th century ?). Feel free to comment on this because I´m unable to determine its age and origin!
I think that the guard plate has primarily the function of a hand protection from blows
by the game but also from hostile blades during a fight.On the other hand it protects the tools in the scabbard from getting lost .
I would agree that your very nice weapon has to be dated to the second half of the 18.th century .I would say England or France, not Germany . Possibly it is used as a hanger and had a naval history.
Old 31st March 2023, 05:38 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY View Post
Awesome collection of early hunting swords! Your research is very thorough! Not much to add but did want to point out (as Jim already did!) that many of these 'hanger' types also found their way into use by infantry and naval connections. The short, stout blades were ideal aboard the decks of very (over) crowded ships and it has even been said that the serrated blades originally meant for trussing game could be used to serrate rope, slash away fallen sails, etc. Likewise, many of these courtly swords were a show of prestige amongst naval officers.
Thank you for acknowledging my post Capn! As you have pointed out, the fact that these swords, while generally deemed 'hunting' weapons, also served in other capacity as required. This is most feasibly the reason that defensive guards were often present, despite the typical utilitarian connotation .
Old 1st April 2023, 07:40 PM   #11
Teisani

This hunting sword hilt reminds me a bit of IX.634 from the Royal Armouries.
https://collections.royalarmouries.o...bject-120.html
Attached Images

Teisani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:01 AM   #12
Akanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisani View Post
This hunting sword hilt reminds me a bit of IX.634 from the Royal Armouries.
https://collections.royalarmouries.o...bject-120.html
Thank you.Very interesting......
Old 2nd April 2023, 02:55 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Yes, most interesting I agree.
Old 2nd May 2023, 05:21 AM   #14
PhDBrewer

Great write up!
Howard Backmore writes about cabbalistic writings that possess some "mystical quality to spur him on to greater deeds or bring him luck". I find the blade markings quite interesting.
Here is an example from an early 18th century Hirschfänger.
William
Attached Images

PhDBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2023, 03:58 PM   #15
Akanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDBrewer View Post
Great write up!
Howard Backmore writes about cabbalistic writings that possess some "mystical quality to spur him on to greater deeds or bring him luck". I find the blade markings quite interesting.
Here is an example from an early 18th century Hirschfänger.
William
Yes,there are wonderful decorations on huntingsword blades.Often game,like stags,wildboars,bears but also hares.On some you find little poems spending luck.Also floral decor is loved.
Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2023, 06:01 PM   #16
corrado26

Der Jäger hat allezeit Verlangen, mit wenig Mühe viel zu fangen = The hunter always desires to catch much which little effort.
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2023, 08:53 PM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The images of these 'hunting enclosures' are fascinating; I had no idea they were used.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:40 PM   #18
urbanspaceman

Default Sea service

Jim will recognise this piece and I have to agree with his suggestion that it was a sea-service weapon.
The weight of the blade however, and its thickness, does lend it to hacking at animal limbs rather than sailors: it is four centimeters wide at the hilt and half a centimeter thick with a blade length of fifty centimeters. Anyone have ten cents worth?
Attached Images

Last edited by urbanspaceman; 2nd May 2023 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added blade length.
urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:22 PM   #19
Akanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
The images of these 'hunting enclosures' are fascinating; I had no idea they were used.
These enclosed hunts startet in the 16th.century and spread over Germany as a hunting technique of the noble upperclass.The game was driven together in a huge area and in the end there were lots of animals gathered in a rag fenced place. ( Kammer = Chamber ). From here it was driven into the "Lauf " ,another fenced place ,where the hunters waited to kill the game by rifles or huntingswords.These hunts mostly took several days from starting to gather the game until the festive end.Lots of serfs had to do the work for the noble amusement. Some hunting traditions survived until present times.It seems up to the beginning of the 20th.century till this hunting technique was finally forbidden and branded as unsportsmanlike ( unwaidmännisch )
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:41 PM   #20
Akanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspaceman View Post
Jim will recognise this piece and I have to agree with his suggestion that it was a sea-service weapon.
The weight of the blade however, and its thickness, does lend it to hacking at animal limbs rather than sailors: it is four centimeters wide at the hilt and half a centimeter thick with a blade length of fifty centimeters. Anyone have ten cents worth?
This certainly is a fighting weapon not a hunting sword.In the German typology you would call,it "Jaglich gefasst" .It means, that it looks like a hunting sword ( stag horn grip) but it isn't one.In the 18th. and 19th.century it began to become modern to carry huntingweaponlike sidearms in spite not beeing a hunter.I think that in countrys, which a rich naval history ( England ,France,Spain,Portugal etc.)these wepons were often found on the decks of a ship,because they were practical of their relatively shortness .
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:43 PM   #21
Akanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
Der Jäger hat allezeit Verlangen, mit wenig Mühe viel zu fangen = The hunter always desires to catch much which little effort.
Right !!!!!!
Old 9th May 2023, 11:29 AM   #22
Akanthus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanthus View Post
I would like to attemp a short summary about facts and thoughts regarding German huntingswords of the 17.th century.Any friendly comments are welcome.
If you look around in museums,collections and auction catalogues,you will often find huntingswords there.However,if you are looking for 17.th century pieces these a rather rare,as the vast majority comes from the 18.th and 19.th century.
But what are the characteristic features of a German huntingsword of the 17.th century and how and why was it used ?
The direct line of ancestors runs from the Germanic seax to the „ Hauswehr" ,an all purpose tool that could be found in almost every house of those times.A medium-length knife,that was used for work,defense and hunting.Than ,step by step,in the 17.th century a weapon emerges,that can ultimately be characterized as primarily for hunting use, the huntingsword.
Usually the blades are single-edged,rather inflexible,50 to 60 cm in length,without ricasso and with or without fullers.The blades have a variety of decorations,such as deers,wildboars or even hares.Rather simple pieces don't have any decor.According to Döbel and v. Heppe,backblades were used,so that the dogs that grabbed the game ,could not be injured so easily.Frevert says the tip should not be too pointed ( Knochengierig) ,to avoid the blade getting stuck in the bone of the game
The hilts of the early pieces are made from iron.There is a crossguard and a knucklebow connected to it, which is about half,three quaters or full length of the grip.The knucklebow either ends freely or has a connection to the grip.Ironcut decorations are often found, depending on rank,name or the financial possibilities of the owner.
To increase the torsion stability from blade and hilt,the crossguard is often perforated by the blade,so that you can see the blade through a recess in the crossguard.( Pic.2) Welded ferrules also hold the blade.
Shell-shaped guardplates are often found,which are usually bent towards the blade.The guardplates are almost always welded or riveted ( Pic.3 ) to the crossguard.The later form of guardplate attach ment,using a ring on the guardplate that is pushed over the tang( Pic.4)is rare in the early times,but common in the 18.th century.
But why did huntsmen develop these weapons in the 17.th century ? Surely it's caused by the changed hunting techniques.In addition to the „Hatz" ,where the game was hunted from horseback with dogs,the enclosed hunt ( Eingestelltes Jagen) developed.(Pic.9 ).Here a lot of game was captured in an area ,which was fenced by high rags.The game was killed by a group of hunters in close combat. In the confined space and in the general confusion,the use of firearms was dangerous.This resulted in the need for a shorter,less unwieldy weapon in comparison to the pigsword( Sauschwert).Also the boarfeather ( Saufeder) was used here.Interestingly,on the wonderful pictures painted by Valentin Wagner in 1633 on the occasion of a boar hunt by Landgraf Georg II.von Hessen Darmstadt,you can also see hunters with non -hunting edged weapons participating the hunt.( Pic.10) In addition to it's hunting use ,the hunting sword was also used in cases of selfdefence in those uncertain times.Last but not least it was a symbol of honor for the hunter and was ceremoniously handed over and allowed to carrie only after a education of several years, concerning hunting skills and rules.
Something else about German nomenclature :
The weapon of the 17.th century i have referred to is called „Jagddegen“ in German.The heavy huntingsword ( Jagdschwert) is the weapon of the mounted hunter of the 16.th century.The „ Hirschfänger" is the huntingweapon of the 18,th century.Seifert, the grandseigneur of edged weapons says : „ The „ Jagddegen" is a short „ Jagdschwert" or a long „ Hirschfänger“.
For me the huntingswords of the 17.th century are fascinating ,because they have a heavy and stabile appearance.They seem to be a combination of tool and weapon and are made for rough hunting use.Later forms of hunting weapons are changing more and more to status symbols ,rank signs and costume decorations. This should not exclude their hunting use in many cases.
Thanks to Jens,that i was allowed to take pictures from some of his great huntingswords.
Literature :
- Gerhard Seifert, Der Hirschfänger,1973
- Herbert H. Westphal, Hirschfänger,Zur historischen Entwicklung jagdlicher Seitenwaffen
- Frevert Walter,Das jagdliche Brauchtum
- Döbel,Jägerpractica, 1746
- V.Heppe,Aufrichtiger Lehrprinz oder Praktische Abhandlung von dem Leithund ,1751
- Niddaer Sauhatz von 1633
- Das grosse Kosmos Jagdlexikon 2004
Old 9th May 2023, 05:11 PM   #23
M ELEY

In regars to sea-service 'hunting' hangers, it was the very fact that they were short (for close melee fighting on tight decks), often brass hilted (which made the grips rust resistant) and thick blades for hacking/chopping (fallen rigging, opponents wearing protective head gear).
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote