Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th January 2023, 04:55 PM   #1
Peter Hudson

Default The Scythe as a weapon.

I recently attended a most interesting course on scythe use as a tool for cutting the grass... and the group then commenced work in tidying up one of the ancient church yards of Saint Cuthbert over in Corsenside Northumberland ...
A number of things struck me on this item since it would seem to be weapon related as a lot of farm utensils are as well as its interesting old fashioned method of sharpening which I think is peculiar to the Scythe only but may indicate an ancient sword blade sharpening system? A technique giving the blade an extremely sharp cutting edge reminicent to the hollow blade edge on swords we hear of on some European weapons. However in relation to its ancient history as a farm tool I have placed this on Ethnographic ..but moderators may see this as a moveable feast...

The whats in a word connundrum crops up as it would be easy to suggest that Scythe comes from Scythia although the word root appears to be Old English ...more on that later...

I looked at Scythes on Library and there are a few references there but mainly of the shorter curved or hooked item...

I place the fine picture below to see member interest and will continue the detective work soon.

This picture is noted as of Polish Scythemen from 1863.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter Hudson; 4th January 2023 at 07:26 PM.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote