Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th November 2015, 09:39 PM   #1
mrcjgscott

Default First World War Officers Kukri's

Plenty has been written here and elsewhere about standard issue military kukri.

Here are some examples of kukri which I would consider to be made for and carried by officers during WW1, and possibly later.

As officers of this period were expected to purchase their own uniform, equipment and weapons, in some Gurkha regiments this also extended to kukri, which were worn in place of swords. Some officers wore kukri purely when on active service. This varied from regiment to regiment.

Below are two different styles of Officers private purchase kukri, manufactured by A.D.F.I&CO of Sialkot. Little is known about this company, but I have found mention of them making leather goods, officer’s swords, lances and other accoutrements from circa 1880-1930.

The first has nickel plated fittings, with a shagreen and wire bound grip, as would be found on officers swords of the period. The stepped hilt is fixed by a recessed pommel nut, like a MK1 issue kukri.
Attached Images

mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2015, 09:40 PM   #2
mrcjgscott

The second is similar in length and style, with a brown leather scabbard with brass chape.
It has a retaining strap fitted, again, like those found on officers swords scabbards of the period to fit a frog which could be worn on the Sam Browne belt system.

It has green horn grip scales fitted to either side of the full width tang.
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2015, 09:41 PM   #3
mrcjgscott

Further images:
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2015, 09:42 PM   #4
mrcjgscott

These next two are associated with the 10th Gurkha Rifles, and are of the regimental pattern for officers.

They both feature long Sirupate blades, although these two do show some differences in construction. They both exhibit stepped silver fittings to the pommel, in the form of a large stylised nut.

The scabbard is again fitted with straps for the Sam Brown belt system, once again more commonly associated with a British Officers Sword.
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2015, 09:43 PM   #5
mrcjgscott

The next two examples are regimentally etched on the blades to the 4th Gurkha Rifles.

I have seen around eight of these over the years, some of which have officers names etched in presentation to the blade. They are all exceptionally well made, with horn handles and silver bands imitating traditional carved grip rings.

Some are found in elaborate silver mounted kothimora scabbards, others in plainer “field service” scabbards, with silver chapes. On one occasion the chape had been painted to “subdue” any reflection.

Again, like swords of the period, it is possible that these kukris were commissioned with both “dress” and field service scabbards. Both of my examples also come with silver mounted chakmak and karda.
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2015, 09:44 PM   #6
mrcjgscott

One last one for the moment.

This example may just be a one off presentation piece, with no sure attribution to an officer, but worth sharing here in this thread.

It has a horn grip, with a skilfully worked silver pommel cap displaying the badge of the 1st Gurkha Rifles, crossed kukri, with a numeral “1” below. Each side of the blade has also been etched with a kukri.
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2015, 09:45 PM   #7
David R

Excellent pieces, thanks for posting these.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2015, 10:09 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes very interesting, thank you.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2015, 12:08 AM   #9
mrcjgscott

My pleasure gents,

Just another facet of this versatile weapon. I am sure there are many more variations out there waiting to be discovered.