Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th November 2015, 08:05 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Comments and Identification required on these two items

Hi Eeveryone I would appreciate your comments and help in identifying the following two items.
The Khanjar I have had for some time and hanever really known whether it is a real weapon or a tourist piece although I must admit to feeling it is the latter, The hilt is of some form of stone carved with a lions head pommel and moustache type quillons. the blade although sharp and well tempered seems to thin for the hilt size/
The second item I don't have a clue to its origin or if it has a specific name. It is extremely well made and to all intents and purposes looks like a leather covered stick, the joint being well concealed. I did think that it may be a "Swagger Stick" but am not really sure as it has no insignia or marrks of any kind. It would make a suitable weapon for an assassin.
Thank you.
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 12:46 AM   #2
estcrh

Miguel, your khanjar does seem to be more of a lessor quality item, the blade has no details and the handle carving is not very detailed as well. The sword stick would be a "gupti" if it is from India.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Miguel, your khanjar does seem to be more of a lessor quality item, the blade has no details and the handle carving is not very detailed as well. The sword stick would be a "gupti" if it is from India.
Thanks for your comments and photo, you always seem to make things look better than they actually are. I agree with your observations on the Khanjar and I think it to plain for a tourist piece which makes think it must have had another purpose just what I don't know but hopefully some other members may have a view. With regard to the other weapon I do not think that it is a Gupti as it is to short , 16 ins O/L, but I do think it was made in India to be used as a Swagger Stick as apparently they were made for soldiers at the time.
Miguel
Old 19th November 2015, 05:35 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

The other piece looks to be North African.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2015, 08:52 PM   #5
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Thanks for your comments and photo, you always seem to make things look better than they actually are. I agree with your observations on the Khanjar and I think it to plain for a tourist piece which makes think it must have had another purpose just what I don't know but hopefully some other members may have a view.
Miguel, I do run into weapons which for a lack of a better term I think of as a "poor mans" weapon. After all not everyone could afford a higher end weapon. I own an Indian tiger tooth Jambiya which seems to fit the discription, not a tourist item but not quite up to the standards of a higher quality weapon, a little thinner blade, and the decoration is not as detailed. There are sure to be other opinions of course (hopefully).
Old 23rd November 2015, 07:30 PM   #6
Miguel

Estcrh! I take your point and have had the same thoughts myself but what puts some doubt in my mind is the weight of the hilt in comparison to the blade which I think it may be cause difficulties in suspending it in the normal type of scabbard, very top heavy although it fits beautifully in the hand and feels very comfortable to grip.

Tim, thanks for your input, have you any images or can you direct me to a reference as I have looked at North Africa and could not find anything similar.
Miguel
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:11 PM   #7
estcrh

Quote:
With regard to the other weapon I do not think that it is a Gupti as it is to short , 16 ins O/L, but I do think it was made in India to be used as a Swagger Stick as apparently they were made for soldiers at the time.
Miguel
Miguel, I have a small, brown, leather covered swagger stick about the same size as yours that I purchased many years ago, I tried to find my pictures of it but they are missing, the stick is hidden inside a pile of boxs but maybe I can find it. It does not have a sword inside, it is soft brown leather that is stiched up one side, I was told that it was a womans swagger stick from some kind of military service, possibly WWII.
Attached Images

Old 24th November 2015, 07:31 PM   #8
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Miguel, I have a small, brown, leather covered swagger stick about the same size as yours that I purchased many years ago, I tried to find my pictures of it but they are missing, the stick is hidden inside a pile of boxs but maybe I can find it. It does not have a sword inside, it is soft brown leather that is stiched up one side, I was told that it was a womans swagger stick from some kind of military service, possibly WWII.
Estcrh, If you can turn it up I would like to see it
, if possible. It would be interesting to compare the two, I think that Swagger sticks like mine were probably made to order or as I mentioned earlier the Indians made them to sell to the troops so it could more than likely be one of these.
Miguel
Old 17th January 2016, 07:06 AM   #9
estcrh

Quote:
Estcrh, If you can turn it up I would like to see it
, if possible. It would be interesting to compare the two, I think that Swagger sticks like mine were probably made to order or as I mentioned earlier the Indians made them to sell to the troops so it could more than likely be one of these.
Miguel
Miguel, packed away inside this chest for many years, 17inches long.
Attached Images

Old 17th January 2016, 02:59 PM   #10
Miguel

Hi estrch, I think that they are similar and that mine is a swagger stick with a hidden blade. Actually I found the contents of your box a lot more interesting they invite a good root.
Regards, Miguel