Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2022, 02:52 AM   #1
shayde78

Default African sickle sword

Hello, good people!

I recently picked up this item. I'm quite certain it is African. The pommel and use of brass tacks is a style I have seen, but I can't place. Nor, can I remember the correct attribution to use as a search term to find past threads.

The dimensions are shown in the photos.
It is sharpened on both sides and the fullers are offset (rather than directly opposite on either face of the blade). My first thought was an unusual variant of a shotel (gurade), but the proportions and overall style seems more West or Central African.

So...what are your thoughts?

Thanks much!
-Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by shayde78; 20th October 2022 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Forgot photos!
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 09:34 AM   #2
Marc M.

Afrika, Congo: Ngombe-Doko.
Regards
Marc
Marc M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 10:50 AM   #3
kronckew

Agree, Congo tribal sword. Not properly a sickle as it is double-edged,, more like the gurade or shotel, as you mentioned.

The copper or brass strip winding on the grip seems to be indicative of the area.

Here's a Boa sword from the Azande tribe in Congo. The two halves longitudinally are slightly overlapped and forge welded to form a central thickening that stiffens the fairly thin blade rather than being fullered. I also have a Boa sword, like this one, but the grip is not wrapped.

See also: Mambele Sickle sword which is a single edged sword, sharp on the inside of the curve. It also has a link to a YouTube video on how they are used. (The link shows my sword)

Another by a well known sword person : African Sickle sword by Skallagrim. it also shows a map of the area that they are common in, central Africa, bordering the Congo to the north. He actually does some cutting with it.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 20th October 2022 at 01:13 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 07:12 PM   #4
werecow

I have this chunky one, which I bought from Rick / rsword a few years ago. He described it as Ngbandi.
Attached Images

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 06:57 AM   #5
kronckew

Cool ngbandi one, i see the large end cone is intact, the OP's one looks like it may have been broken or cut off to enable better pronation of the wrist that these wide disks (like on a talwar) restrict the bending of the wrist.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 02:44 PM   #6
drac2k

That is an interesting theory; I have owned several and they all seemed to have a similar-sized piece missing from the handle. I had only thought it to be a strange coincidence or a characteristic of the type of wood they used, but your suggestion makes sense.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:38 AM   #7
shayde78

Thanks everyone!
Very helpful information and interesting thoughts.

Regarding the missing bit from the pommel - it may be this occurs on many examples of this type of sword simply because the brass tacks weaken the wood causing it to break along the lines created by the tacks.
If this were an intentional feature the handle could simply be carved differently.

However, if considered an ergonomical improvement, it is oriented to allow greater range of movement when the blade is oriented to used the inside edge. This usage would be quite effective if the point is the intended striking area. Much like the mambele, or from other regions, the lohar, zahgnal, etc, using an arching swing to deliver a stabbing point is a devastating attack.
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote