Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 15th April 2024, 11:16 AM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A friend's cup hilt sword for comments

This guy, a local fellow collector, has all the luck. He buys obscure stuff for (extremely) cheap prices, gives them a good cleaning and the result is more than successful.
This cup hilt sword, with a lobulated bowl, is no doubt Portuguese. The cleaning is not yet finished and we may already see in one side of the blade a most unusual PELA FÉ DAREI A VIDA (For faith i will give my life) and on the other a not so clear VIVA EL REY DOM JOÃO, most certainly with a faded "IV".
This inscription and this King (1640-1656) are in context of the Portuguese independence restoration from Spanish control.
The mark on the ricasso is not decipherable, but its rubbing would only worsen the situation.
By the way, a lobulated guard is called by the Portuguese "Margarida" (Daisy).

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2024, 12:51 PM   #2
AHorsa

I have no knowledge about that sort of swords, but this is an amazing example! Congratulations to your friend!

Kind regards
Andreas
AHorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2024, 02:59 PM   #3
awdaniec666

The extent to which corrosion and the surface it decomposes can differ is astonishing. This specimen from the 17th century has retained most of its sharpness and structure, whereas some of my sabres from the 19th century that were lying in a dry attic have been completely massacred. A nice looking sword.
awdaniec666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2024, 03:42 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a breathtaking example!!!! OMG. !!
While clearly the blade is Portuguese, often we wonder if these are homogenous to the hilts they are mounted in......with this, there is no question. While the patination and corrosion is superficial, I really dont like to see too much 'cleaning'. (the historian in me cherishes the 'age' and encapsulated evidence of time). Your friend is amazing at finding these kinds of things most of us would have no opportunity to do in most of the venues available these days......which are naturally entirely commercial and lined with disappointment and expense too often.

I cannot add much to the outstanding detail you have shared here Fernando, only to add heartfelt thanks for sharing this here, and profound congratulations to your friend!!
Thank you both!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2024, 04:27 PM   #5
fernando

Thank you Jim. Thank you guys for the kind words
Old 16th April 2024, 07:56 PM   #6
Victrix

That’s a very beautiful sword. Is the grip made of wood or is it even some kind of bone?

It unsettles me a bit when I see a cuphilt and expect to see a delicate rapier blade for thrust, but there’s a broadsword for slashing attached to it instead. I wonder what it’s like logistically to slash with the swords edge. I guess a broad sword has an advantage against more slender blades when used as a slashing weapon where brute force can be used. I really prefer the broad sword blades, especially when there is writing on them!
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM   #7
fernando

Cool Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
...That’s a very beautiful sword. Is the grip made of wood or is it even some kind of bone?...
Certainly not wood; some kind of bone or even ivory!

The way i humbly view it, slender (rapier) blades may be seen both in cup hilts as in swept hilts, etc. Their particular purpose is that of engaging in dueling scenes, requiring some (school) fencing skill. Broad blades are more the basics, appearing both in military gear as in unsophisticated civilian hands. We may say they are fit for a dual purpose as, besides heavy slashing, they may also do the job in thrusting.

-

Last edited by fernando; Yesterday at 11:39 AM. Reason: Spell