Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 19th November 2022, 06:56 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Brass hilt briquet type hanger....British cutlass?

In 2020 I posted a thread on this munitions grade 'briquet' titled "The Lowly Briquet". In the discussion I had brought up the research over the many years Ive had this sword (since 1966) and the only declarations of classification by authors in resources claimed it was a British foot artillery gunners hanger.
One example shown had the name Trotter on the blade and it was seemed c. 1814 foot artillery as noted.

As we have been discussing naval cutlasses on the concurrent thread on the M1804 British cutlass, I did not wish to detract, so thought it would be good to post this on its own with posing this question.

The hallmark cartouche in the brass hilt in my opinion is that of Paul Storr, who was a renowned goldsmith and silversmith who fashioned wares for George III and IV, and first used the PS as his hallmark in 1792.
While these cartouches were typically used on in precious metals, it is known that Francis Thurkle (silver hilts) in 1790s placed his initials even in work regardless of metal used.

There was a distinct penchant for copying French designs in some weapons in the 1790s, and the French 'briquet' was of course well known, and had been seen as a naval cutlass.

As far as has been discovered, there is no reliable record of this briquet type hanger used by British artillery units despite the entries in a number of references showing these as such.

In the 1790s, there were concerns of French invasion even prior to the Napoleonic campaigns, and there were civilian efforts to establish 'home guard' type assemblies. There were also concerns to arm vessels for threat of attack.

As Paul Storr was not yet well established as the renowned silversmith he became in the 1790s, but did have facilities for casting metals (Bezdek notes he was a cutler and hilt maker) perhaps this might have been an early 'ersatz' cutlass for arming British vessels?

While obviously thinking 'outside the box', this is the perfect place for the knowledge base here to come together on this conundrum.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 08:35 PM   #2
David R

I would look across the Channel for this one. Britain did not really go for brass hilts after the 1790's as far as I know..... I am confident of correction if I am wrong.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 09:04 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I would look across the Channel for this one. Britain did not really go for brass hilts after the 1790's as far as I know..... I am confident of correction if I am wrong.
There were issues against brass hilts in England some time before having to do with Cutlers Co. etc. but they very much did use brass hilts in many cases. This saber I think may be naval, as it corresponds to others I have seen that were by EGG, and around 1790s, this is Wooley & Deakin (1801-03) and Mark Eley had another. I have had two dragoon officers swords c. 1770s in brass. Brass was key for gilt work on many officers swords.
You are right though, the inspiration DID come from across the channel for this sword.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th November 2022 at 09:20 PM.
Old 20th November 2022, 09:12 AM   #4
M ELEY

Hello Jim. I do recall discussing these interesting briquet patterns, including ones with a small anchor stamp. The French were indeed the first to embrace naval cutlasses with a solid brass hilt and Gilkerson (Boarder's Away, my 'bible' and go-to always!) has covered them nicely, showing their development. Likewise, regarding the briguet, which came directly from these French 'sea' patterns, they probably would have ben well-received in desparate times to arm volunteers against invasion. The reason the brass hilts were popular on sea swords was for their anti-rust properties in the briney salt air.

Another deductive thought was that most naval hangers were also popular/carried by infantrymen, so could the briquet (being an infantry-type) make the same crossover to naval usage? I've always wondered about this. If so, I'd wager it would only have been in the scenario you proposed (desparate measures for voluntary forces or militias or merchant-type craft). Still, I know there doesn't appear to be any record to such use in Britain unless someone out there can enlighten us!?

Didn't we also definitely determine that there were briquets (not the French pre-naval brass gripped types, but actual briquets!) with the anchor stamp? Perhaps my memory has become cloudy again!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2022, 09:14 AM   #5
M ELEY

P.S. I still have that awesome hanger of the Wooley/Deacon type with gold wash to the hilt and classic Montmorancy blade! Just whistles British naval officer!

Here it is! The thread concerning this briquet and the anchor stamp-

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t+anchor+stamp
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2022, 11:56 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Capn!! I hoped you'd enter this foray into the mystery of this anomaly. As you agree this curious old 'briquet' might well have to do with this period of pre-Napoleonic times in England, which seem never to have been well documented.
When the early writers on British swords such as Ffoulkes had little clue on these, which later were carried forth in Wilkinson writings (and again by Claude Blair) claiming they were British 'foot artillery hangers......these became the classification Gospel for collectors, at least in degree.

Actually these were never a highly collectible item, and most that were ever seen were of course French, which were well known (hence the colloquial term briquet). It was noted later in an article that no British example of 'briquet' was ever known that had substantiating markings identifying it as such, had ever been seen.

It was that several examples had been seen in the Tower dated 1830 which gave the impression these had been British.

However, as I had explained in that previous thread (thank you for the link!) the cartouche on this example with the distinctive cartouche with initials PS is compelling. It does NOT coincide with any type of marking used in weapons of other countries, including France.

It does however correspond to the early hallmark stamp of Paul Storr from c. 1792+. While this type stamp of course was used only by artisans using precious metals, it is known that in cases some did place stamps with initials regardless of metal used.
In these 'times of concern' where there was a notable civilian movement of ersatz defensive measures, it is noted in one reference that workers and artisans in many trades joined in to produce needed supplies and even weaponry.
It seems quite possible that Paul Storr, already working with other artisans closely aligned with the Royal House, might 'do his part' by creating a number of these hangers for 'the cause' and proudly place his well earned mark as testament to that.

The paucity of examples of these munitions grade weapons is directly related to their commonality overall, and that they were 'in bulk' excellent source for much needed brass metal, and were likely scrapped in huge volume.

A rather grim note on the post war use of the materials and other was recently found when I was researching the battlefields of Waterloo and other actions associated. It is well known that huge numbers of casualties were buried in huge mass graves there, however recent excavations revealed there are virtually no remains to be found archaeologically (save several noted graves of several individuals).
The horrifying fact seems to have been that these huge caches of remains were dug up to be put to use, with bone ground into fertilizer which became in scale a commodity much in the way Egyptian mummies were unceremoniously used.

While most weaponry found on these fields was of course taken as surplus, many more common items became of course smelting fodder, which would include of course these kinds of solid brass hilt swords.

With regard to the anchor stamp, in review of the previous thread on this topic, it seems that was a known Swedish mark used generally and not specific to naval items.
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2022, 12:34 PM   #7
CutlassCollector

I have never owned one of these and so can not add much to the discussion although I have found it confusing as to where they fit into the cutlass world.

They are often offered for sale as British Cutlass or French cutlass but are not covered in the British or French literature on the official patterns. In Le Sabre D'abordage, Petard describes a few brass hilted cutlasses from the end of the 18th century but not the briquet.

Of course that does not preclude them from sea service in the private sector or other associated naval units as well as land based use as already mentioned.

What puzzles me is the common pattern attributed to several different countries. Were they made and sold to any buyer like Solingen blades or just copied?
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2022, 02:00 PM   #8
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
There were issues against brass hilts in England some time before having to do with Cutlers Co. etc. but they very much did use brass hilts in many cases. This saber I think may be naval, as it corresponds to others I have seen that were by EGG, and around 1790s, this is Wooley & Deakin (1801-03) and Mark Eley had another. I have had two dragoon officers swords c. 1770s in brass. Brass was key for gilt work on many officers swords.
You are right though, the inspiration DID come from across the channel for this sword.
I was meaning the all brass hanger style hilts so popular on the continent... Brass guards and back-straps were ubiquitous for Infantry and Naval officers of course.... Iron/steel preferred for cavalry and black painted cast and wrought iron for naval cutlasses.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2022, 02:05 PM   #9
corrado26

By "Mervyn Milton, The policeman's lot, London 1985, p. 108" one can read, that "the actual briquet never made it across the English Channel. This type of weapon does not appear in the UK. Prey pieces in a new way are not known. The "Police Swords and Hangers" are complex pieces, mostly made at "Parker, Field & Sons, 233 Holborn, London". So the sword in question should come from the continent, where it was in use in lots of countries as nearly all German states, France, Switzerland, Spain, Austria and Belgium.
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2022, 05:31 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I was meaning the all brass hanger style hilts so popular on the continent... Brass guards and back-straps were ubiquitous for Infantry and Naval officers of course.... Iron/steel preferred for cavalry and black painted cast and wrought iron for naval cutlasses.
Thanks David for clarifying, I misunderstood. I recall decades ago when I got the Wooley & Deakin sword where it was classified a cavalry officers sword. But the blade was so short for cavalry, later I discovered that in naval situations there were cavalry and infantry patterns used of course.
Old 20th November 2022, 05:55 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
By "Mervyn Milton, The policeman's lot, London 1985, p. 108" one can read, that "the actual briquet never made it across the English Channel. This type of weapon does not appear in the UK. Prey pieces in a new way are not known. The "Police Swords and Hangers" are complex pieces, mostly made at "Parker, Field & Sons, 233 Holborn, London". So the sword in question should come from the continent, where it was in use in lots of countries as nearly all German states, France, Switzerland, Spain, Austria and Belgium.

Thank you Udo, excellent cite and thanks for the source detail. The swords for civil service are another area which is it seems not well covered in research material, so this reference is much appreciated.

It seems there is somewhat a consensus that the so called 'briquet' from the Continent was never part of the armory in Great Britain. It is almost bizarre that I never pursued this beyond simply assuming that Wilkinson and Blair in their books and classified these as 'foot artillery gunner' sword, British, was correct.

I think it can be established that the briquet, as a weapon form generally used in Great Britain indeed never happened, as shown in the Morrison article I added in previous post (thanks to Bryce who found it originally).

However, the point being made here is that in these times in pre Napoleonic campaigns England, there was a pallor of fear of French invasion. At this point there was no standardization or regulation of military arms and there was a large push for civil readiness which led to the participation of local artisans, and producers of many wares in making supplies and even weaponry in an ersatz manner.

That is what in my opinion makes this sword so unique, the PS initials align compellingly with Paul Storr, an English precious metals artisan. That places this weapon SOUNDLY on the English side of the channel.

There are many cases of course, where weapons became popular outside regulation or known record at large. The fact that a very limited degree of weapons in England were copied from French forms in a number of elements such as the Woolley & Deakin swords with fluted ebony grips (a French affectation) the 'Montmorency' blade, also of French association. ...suggests that the influences were there, even if not largely apparent.

These are the thoughts I am operating on with this idea, and I am very grateful for these kinds of detail which can test the theory objectively.
Thank you again.
Old 20th November 2022, 06:22 PM   #12
kronckew

So...What IS a briquet? What ISN'T? Definition please!
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2022, 10:00 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
So...What IS a briquet? What ISN'T? Definition please!

These munitions grade hanger/swords were basically infantry/grenadiers weapons in France which were made with cast brass hilts and were well known prior to Napoleonic period and after.
Apparently the term 'briquet' was derisively applied by cavalrymen toward the shorter infantry weapons being compared to the sticks (lighters) called briquets used to start campfires.

It seems these were copied throughout Europe by their infantry units mostly but they seem to have been used in rank and file options as required.
These seem invariably to be the solid cast, ribbed grip brass hilts on varying form short blades.
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2022, 12:10 AM   #14
kronckew

So...this brass hilted double edged recurved blade ~yataghan-ish variant qualifies.
I believe it's Prussian - possibly an experimental version.
(Sharp in both edges).
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2022, 03:49 AM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
So...this brass hilted double edged recurved blade ~yataghan-ish variant qualifies.
I believe it's Prussian - possibly an experimental version.
(Sharp in both edges).
Actually the example of the French hanger I posted , with the characteristic ribbed brass single piece grip in its distinct shape is the only thing termed a briquet. It was a colloquial nickname as described, and while it was first applied in French context.....it came up, probably as usual by collectors to refer to any of these swords that looked exactly like this.

The example you posted would not be deemed a briquet in normal perspective, does that make any sense? Perhaps by the very loose description of the term you could call it that, but we get into the famous name game.
Old 21st November 2022, 10:19 AM   #16
kronckew

Hi Jim, was just pushing the boundary - I don't really think that one is a briquet. Maybe the definition should include 'post french revolutionary', 'ribbed brass grip and rounded D guard, 'short single edged hanger blade'.
Old 21st November 2022, 10:20 AM   #17
kronckew

oops- double possteded
Old 21st November 2022, 11:44 AM   #18
CutlassCollector

Good question Wayne - I was wondering if the term included hangers.
A google search throws up a lot of these, quite a few with markings including Versailles with inspection marks dating it to 1812, Pradier from Paris and Holler and Boker from German states. Dates from around 1800 to 1830.
This confirms what Corrado has already stated.

Most of these are described as French Infantry Briquet. There are only slight variations mostly in length. So definitely not a British cutlass as Jim has already stated.

In the 18/19th century brass was cheaper than steel. Large scale steel production had not yet arrived. Brass was formed and moulded at lower temperatures and was easy to work with. Castings could be made cheaply. The briquet looks to have a grip and guard all in one piece so cheap to manufacture in quantity. A cheap way of arming thousands of infantry or militia.

The disadvantage of brass is it requires to be thicker and therefore heavier to be as strong as the equivalent in steel guards, which does not make for a well balanced sword.

Sometimes private purchase British cutlasses are seen with brass guards and or grips. Ship owners saving pennies rather than just having nice looking cutlasses!
CC
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2022, 02:29 PM   #19
corrado26

For those who want to have some more infos on the theme "Briquet", there has been a wonderful catalogue of an exhibition with lots of such sabres in 2008
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2022, 10:52 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Hi Jim, was just pushing the boundary - I don't really think that one is a briquet. Maybe the definition should include 'post french revolutionary', 'ribbed brass grip and rounded D guard, 'short single edged hanger blade'.

Its funny, maybe I've been in this game too long. When I first started researching this sword and of course the French ones, there was no doubt about what a briquet was. In the following decades, any discourse toward one of these brass, D guard, ribbed grip hangers regardless of what country it came from was a 'briquet'.
The term has been indelibly ingrained in the arms lexicon this many years without question.
What is odd is how long these swords have simply remained unexplained as far as their actual place among British edged weapons, and who really used them. There are many of these kinds of anomalies in the study of edged weapons that have simply remained accepted/assumed to be exactly what the old references say they were.