Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th December 2007, 01:49 AM   #1
Newsteel

Default Cleaning fossil from keris fittings

Much have been discussed about restoring and cleaning keris blades and its fittings. What about keris having mammoth molar fossil hilt and sampir. Though this is not the preferred material, there are some mystical aspects of it where some would want to keep and admire them.

How can I clean it from looking 'dull and unattractive'? What care (environmental and surrounding conditions) should I take note? Thanks in advance.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 11:41 PM   #2
DaveS

Newsteel: I have several krises with molar tooth handles and scabbards and have found that you need to be a little more careful because they are a bit more fragile than wood. First, if there any cracks you should try to stabilize them with crazy glue. Use the liquid, not the jell and get as much in the crack as it will take. Quickly wipe off any excess with acetone. Then what i do is use Old English furniture oil and put on a coat and let it stand for about 20 minutes or so before you wipe it off. Old English is also very good for both ivory and wood. Finally, and most important, keep away from any heater or other heat source. You can almost hear the cracks form. Don't ask me how i know. Out here on the west coast there are a couple of dealers selling molar tooth slabs at some of the big knife shows, and i think some of the custom knife boys will probably start using it , as it is a rather different and exotic looking material to use for a knife handle......Dave.
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote