Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th April 2022, 07:53 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Afghani Pulwar

Have had a Puluar/Pulwar (sp?) on my bucket list for ages.

Just acquired this Pulwar from a collection in Germany, hopefully on it's way to me in a couple of days. Bit unusual blade with a short but pronounced yelman that looks sharpened. Haven't seen one quite like this before. No dimensions yet. Also no scabbard. eyelash markings on blade.

Comments please. Thanks in advance for any info...
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2022, 11:14 PM   #2
ariel

I have several pulwars, most of them” with”unusual” features. But I can’t recall such an unusual yelman and double “jaws”.

On the other hand, “ oddities” are practically expected: Afghanistan did not have regulation weapons till the very end of the 19th century, all earlier examples were made in different arsenals and small workshops. The same is true about all other bladed weapons, from pseudo-shashkas to Mahsud ch’hurras. To a large measure this heterogeneity might be the most attractive ( at least for me) feature that vanished later on. It is a pity nobody can investigate this question and the identical twins of government-regulated ones somehow do not excite me.
If you do not mind, when I finally recover my post-omicron energy I might add some of mine to your example for general discussion.
Meanwhile, my congratulations together with a not insignificant dollop of envy:-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2022, 12:23 AM   #3
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
I have several pulwars, most of them” with”unusual” features. But I can’t recall such an unusual yelman and double “jaws”.

On the other hand, “ oddities” are practically expected: ..., all earlier examples were made in different arsenals and small workshops. The same is true about all other bladed weapons, from pseudo-shashkas to Mahsud ch’hurras. To a large measure this heterogeneity might be the most attractive ( at least for me) feature that vanished later on. ... If you do not mind, when I finally recover my post-omicron energy I might add some of mine to your example for general discussion.
Meanwhile, my congratulations together with a not insignificant dollop of envy:-)

Thanks and I Look forward to your examples!
The same source had two other Pulwars, one with a much more slender shamshir style blade that looked like it'd been over sharpened, and another that was a lot wider and straighter with a rounder point. I went for this one because it was not run of the mill. It was billed as 18c, in good shape if it is.
Old 15th April 2022, 02:45 AM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Perhaps the tip has been modified/shortened.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2022, 05:59 AM   #5
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Perhaps the tip has been modified/shortened.
Very good thought.
Although if we extend the curved line of the edge and the straight “spine line “ of the yelman, they will intersect at the most 1/2-1 inch from the current tip.
Would be interesting to know what is the current actual length of the blade. Then we can compare with the unquestionaly intact blades.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2022, 10:26 AM   #6
kronckew

Until it arrives & I can measure it better, here is a pulwar from another thread superimposed on mine, using the grips to equalize the size. Seems to match fairly well.I considered that the tip may have been shortened. But .
Attached Images

Old 3rd May 2022, 02:41 PM   #7
kronckew

Pulwar arrived today, no problems going thru customs from Germany to the UK. Had to pay VAT & a special expedited clearance fee to the courier, Parcel Force.

Blade is 30", 5mm thick, no distal taper until the 6 in. yelman, then distal tapers smoothly to the tip. no sign of shortening, blade is 1 1/2 in. wide at the langets, 1 1/4 in. wide at the start of the 6 in. yelman. the spine of the yelman is not sharp but has been made with about a 1mm 'edge'. Main edge is sharp, convex profile, and polished - no distinct bevel. Not hair popping sharp tho. Balance is about 8 in. from the guard. Weight is 1080 grams. Some small bits of black tarnish, but mostly polished bright. may have been renwaxed.No red rust at all.

The three sets of stamped eyelash dashes (jaws?) are terminated on the ends with a small crescent 'moon' and there is a single small moon in front of each. Did a small patch etch with vinegar/lemon juice after an alcohol degreasing, does NOT appear to be wootz or laminated steel. Of course if renwaxed, the acids wouldn't etch.

Grip is tight, undamaged, more comfortable than a tulwar, pommel is peened, and has some bits inside the hollow that rattle if shaken.

Last edited by kronckew; 3rd May 2022 at 03:07 PM.