Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th December 2023, 12:53 PM   #1
cornelistromp

Default Falchion or Malchus, first half of the 14th century

I have noticed this falchion at Herman Historia 63 in 2011, but was unable to see it at the time. Fortunately, it is the only one of this type that I have ever seen for sale, I was recently able to acquire it through a German auctionhaus.
It may looks brittle on the pics , but it is not, the condition is quite solid.
The blade is single-edged on the long side with a false edge of the last quarter on the other side. the back is 7.5mm thick at the tang and 5.5mm thick at the guard and gradually becomes thinner towards the point and towards the cutting edge. The sword is light, 850gr with a blade which is a lot thinner and springier (flexible) than I expected it to be. Not suitable for stabbing, like the falchion type with a similar shape as the early halberds with the cutting edge on the short side and a reinforced point, but this one is particularly effective as a slashing/cutting weapon.
There are some traces of its business life; a deep notch in the thick back as a result of sword defense and at the level of the hole there is a large cut through the blade to the hole in the middle of it, now densely oxidized together again.
The only ones, I can think of, that comes a kind of close is the thorpe falchion and one double edged falchion in NMM.

stats:
OAL 78cm, bl measured from guards oxidation line 64cm, widest part blade 12cm, 4,3cm at cross. pommel 6.0x5.85x2.15cm, grip +-8cm

handling:
it actually feels fast for a cutting sword. The total weight is 850gr with a balance point of 12-13cm on a 64cm blade. (measured with a fictitious weight of the missing guard of 130gr).
The falchion has a thicker tang and blade section close to the guard, and quite some distal taper towards the tip, whereby as a result more mass is close to the POB. This is probably why it doesn't feel blade-heavy and can be properly used to distribute smashing blows to limbs, which requires mass distribution.
What can be a disadvantage with such a wide blade is the torsion that occurs when a cut is out of line.

Please post if somebody does know of any other example of this type ?
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 06:23 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Is this any useful, Jasper ?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 08:27 PM   #3
Victrix

There is a British noble family which keeps a medieval falchion as an ancestral sword. I can’t recall their name now. Maybe if you google it? It means the falchion was by no means a commoner’s weapon as is often believed.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2023, 08:44 PM   #4
Victrix

Or how about this lovely sword: The Conyers Falcion https://www.durhamcathedral.co.uk/ex...nyers-falchion
Old 5th December 2023, 10:00 AM   #5
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Is this any useful, Jasper ?
yes I know the thread, but this falchion is not properly classified there because the cutting edge is on the long side.
I'm looking for examples of the type from post 1, it seems to be the only survivor.
Old 5th December 2023, 06:27 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This example is amazing! and its great to discuss these early falchions, as honestly while knowing basically what they are, I have known little on the differences. Now seeing this example, and examining its character as well described by Jasper, I see some light in it all....and why this one is so unusual.

The blade profile looks very much like the example in fig. 116 (Oakeshott, 1964, p.235) however as mentioned in the Oakshott example it seems the cutting edge is on the curved, thus shorter side. As described by Oakeshott, the illustrated example is similar to the 'Conyers' type held since mid 13th c. in the Conyers family manor in County Durham. It seems that this one has some similarity (to fig.116) but with the point rounded (radiused) similar to hatchet point cavalry blades (M1796).

The example posted with the 'clipped point' seems more toward the 'Thorpe' type, held in Norwich Castle, which seems to be known no earlier than 1290, and as Oakshott notes, like a saber blade. It seems these clipped points did stay around on cavalry blades into 18th c.
What is interesting is that these obviously broader and more dramatically featured falchion blades seem to have Eastern European influence, rather than that of the Norse 'long seax' of the Conyers type.

It seems that the Conyers type with heavier flared blade is more of what I think of in terms of 'falchion' while the Thorpe seems more a saber blade with clipped point.
The example shown here seem a cross between the two.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2023, 08:56 AM   #7
cornelistromp

this is described exactly right by you, Jim

I am hoping to find examples of the flared falchion (blade) with the cutting edge on the long side.
Old 6th December 2023, 06:07 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While I cannot offer much as far as finding another example of this clearly rare (to say the least) form, this topic on falchions is intriguing and have been learning more.

Though it seems there remain upwards of several thousand examples of the more well known knightly swords of these medieval periods, there seem to be barely 30 examples of the falchion form left. There are four 'named' examples, of which the 'Conyers' and 'Thorpe' are most notable, and from 13th -14th c.

Apparently an author named James Elmslie has tried to establish an 'Oakeshott' style typology on falchions. It seems that while the 'Conyers' type effectively ended by end of 14th c. the 'Thorpe' style evolved in degree into more a saber type blade.

The question has arisen, could these falchions have been over represented in artwork and iconography? and not been as prevalent as the familiar knightly broadswords, thus accounting for the paucity of examples. ?

It seems the very light, flexible blade was likely most functional as a slashing type weapon rather than heavy hacking weapon against armor, or of course thrusting. The forces in 'armies' in these times were largely peasantry, who did not have armor, swords etc. but simple fabric clothing and implements or tools as arms.

It seems that the falchions of note (the named examples) are with heraldic type decoration and held in high status traditionally, so is it possible that artistic renderings of these times might have been included in these as more ubiquitous than they really were?

Weapons not necessarily of correct period are of course well known in classical art, such as the Indonesian keris in Rembrandt's "Samson and Delilah" and others. Another case more applicable here is the c. 1460 painting of 'St. Michael Slaying the Dragon", where the figure is using a 'storta' , which is in effect an evolved version of the 'Thorpe' falchion.

While hoping not to detract too much from the main course of this thread, finding (hopefully) other examples of that in OP, I wanted to discuss some 'falchion' history for those unfamiliar with this distinct form, as I was and now learning more.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2023, 08:26 PM   #9
cornelistromp

yes James Elmslie is definitely THE authority on single-edged weapons, he commented on this post in a Facebook group:

I'm afraid to the best of my knowledge, its a unique survivor, and typologically, is the source for the Type 3a group of blades in my work. There's a small number of depictions in art, but beyond that, its pretty much in the rarest of the rare category.
I'm really glad to see that its in your care, and hope someday I can get to study it in detail.

this implies that it will not be easy to find another one.
Old 8th January 2024, 08:40 PM   #10
Victrix

Then there is the sword of St. Peter although it is in poor condition: https://www.ancient-origins.net/arti...al-deal-009226.