Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th March 2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Emanuel

Default 3 large yataghan (T-spine, T-pommel, Turkish Ribbon)

Hi everyone,

After a long pause I recently acquired these three Yataghan. I am most attracted to this type of yataghan because they are substantial, heavy-duty pieces, much sturdier than the thinner, slimmer, fancier type. They also feature an integral bolster construction that doesn't actually seem to be that wide spread in European/Mediterranean/Ottoman weaponry.

The top one is a monster, with 29" (74cm) blade that is 1.3cm thick at the base. The bolster is almost 3cm wide. With a large horn T-pommel, the type is associated with Zeybek irregulars/mercenaries The blade has scratched decoration on the surface, can anyone decipher? The scabbard is wood wrapped with leather and green fabric strips, similar to the kind seen on some Surmene and Laz weapons. The rough scabbard throat and tip might be tarnished silver, or just steel. I think I see 1913 very roughly punched on the throat. An identical one is pictured in this old thread

The second one shows better quality, and I had thought it might have a Turkish ribbon pattern-welded blade. I will know after a trial etch. The large blade is 28" (71cm) long. The T-pommel had a piece broken off and reattached with some putty. It broke during shipping but I should be able to re-attach it nicely. The scabbard is leather glued over wood, with brass throat and tip. The blade doesn't fit in very well so maybe it wasn't original. This blade seems to have lots of silver inlay and overlay, made with the later triangular punch technique. Can anyone translate any of the cartouches? In one or two cases I'm not sure of the correct orientation.

The bottom one shows the best quality. The blade definitely has Turkish ribbon construction and it has nice brass inlay. It is dated 1239 = 1823. This would make it the earliest dated yataghan with integral bolster I have seen. The blade is still generous, at 24"(60cm) long and 1cm thick. The profile of the T spine is more refined and lighter than the larger two. Here is one with very similar blade.

Any thoughts of comments about the very large yataghan in particular and how they fit in what we know about this weapon style?

Thanks,
Emanuel
Attached Images

Last edited by Emanuel; 18th March 2014 at 05:49 PM.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote