Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st November 2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Bill M

Default Figural Dagger - Esmeralda?

Recently acquired from Spiral this dagger was posted here

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=satanic

Though the thread wandered, I think some excellent comments about Esmeralda and the Hunchback of Notre Dame were made.

I do not consider this to be a "satanic" piece. It does, however, have great presence and I am very grateful to Jonathon for offering it to me.

I would appreciate your comments. One thing I am curious about is the angle of the woman's head, I find this mildly disturbing.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Bill M

More detailed pictures
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2007, 12:11 PM   #3
katana

Hi Bill,
this dagger was also discussed on Bernard Levine's forum and I posted a link to illustrations from 'Hunchback' which conclusively ID'ed this as Esmeralda. I feel that originally this dagger was themed on the story. However, later owners may indeed have believed it was satanic (as the story's fame subsided) and could have even been used as such

The picture (dated 1877) clearly shows various details, the necklace, the goat (Djali), the tambourine etc

The second picture shows Notre Dame with a spire, which may explain the scabbard. This is dated 1911 but I believe at that time the spire was no longer there.

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Bill,
this dagger was also discussed on Bernard Levine's forum and I posted a link to illustrations from 'Hunchback' which conclusively ID'ed this as Esmeralda. I feel that originally this dagger was themed on the story. However, later owners may indeed have believed it was satanic (as the story's fame subsided) and could have even been used as such

The picture (dated 1877) clearly shows various details, the necklace, the goat (Djali), the tambourine etc

The second picture shows Notre Dame with a spire, which may explain the scabbard. This is dated 1911 but I believe at that time the spire was no longer there.

Regards David
Hi David,

Found the link on Bernard's forum
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/se...archid=2963629

I do think that you have a very good point about Esmeralda. I will try to research her and see what I might find in connection with this dagger. possibly she goes back further than mid 1800s.

Do you think the spire on Notre Dame could be the one on the scabbard? Would like to find some more clear images of it.

Thanks for the reply. Your remarks in the earlier thread were very good IMHO.

Bill
Old 21st November 2007, 01:39 PM   #5
spiral

Yes its a lovely piece Bill, It was a pleasure to own.

I agree Katanas pics of Esmereldas necklace eventualy clinched it for me.

I was probably just bieng a stubbern mule for the point of debate having dug myself such a hole!

I Still find it interesting the its the only upside down scabbard Ive seen on these cast bronze knives. {yes Ive heard the arguments! But factualy its still the only one seen so far.} And so its still an upside down church though!

From the images I found of the spire at the time, this scabard roof seemed to be tiled in a very different manner, But perhaps someone can find other images.}

The spire is still there it looks like?

Dont know if its been rebuilt?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 06:26 PM   #6
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Hi David,

Your remarks in the earlier thread were very good IMHO.

Bill
Thanks Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
I Still find it interesting the its the only upside down scabbard Ive seen on these cast bronze knives. {yes Ive heard the arguments! But factualy its still the only one seen so far.} And so its still an upside down church though!
Spiral
Hi Jonathon,
as you know I could not find an 'upside down' scabbard. There is the possibility that this signifies 'Satanism but, I believe it is more likely symbolic to the 'interpretation' of Hugo's story. ( all the examples of Satanic daggers I have seen do not have an 'inverted' decorated scabbard either)
'The hunchback of Notre Dame' , at first seems to be about 'unrequited love' but the story is deeper than that. Many literary critics see this story as an attack on the church (not Christianity or Religion), members of the church (in his eyes) had become corrupt, greedy and lacked compassion for their congregation. He saw that the values of Christianity that were preached were not adhered to by the clergy. (a case of 'talking the talk' but not 'walking the walk')

Esmeralda was not Christian and was considered a heathen. Yet, her character and actions are more Christian than the clergy characters. The inverted 'Notre Dame' scabbard is in 'opposition' to Esmeralda (she is symbolic of good ...the 'church' ....bad) Had the scabbard had Christ or other religious icon.... I think it would be a different story.

However, as a footnote, assuming this dagger is mid 19 th C, it coincides with the popularity of the story....and would probably be widely accepted as 'non satanic' . As time went on and memory fades ...I could see this dagger being adopted as 'satanic'.

Either way its a very good piece.

Kind Regards David

I've just noticed (in one of Bill's photos) that the roof tiles on the spire are right way up...when the spire is upside down
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Bill M

I am still intrigued by how her head is dramatically inclined to her left. This was obviously done when it was cast and not later damage. Any ideas about this symbolism?

Perhaps sinister? (as opposed to dexter)
Attached Images