Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Closed Thread

Old 23rd February 2023, 12:37 AM   #1
JoeCanada42

Default 19c Athame Kris Flamberge German Damascus Hammesfahr Melusine Hermes Mercurius

Hi thanks for viewing and posting a comment
If you like athames please see the even older and more interesting one I posted recently.

I got this from a seller in Colorado, he told me he is using the funds to build a tiny house in the desert, lol.
In his words "Thus things a Dorje and it tingles"
Maybe he was using it as a dowsing rod
he mailed it to me as kris art sensor
when I hold it I do got to shake in disbelief, it is that cool
the sellers blurry photos didn't do it justice
it is very hefty very solid and just amazing
has an edge but not sharp

The whole ordeal of the purchase was interesting and full of dejavue, it was originally a eBay global shipping method... took a few days to get the shipping made appropriate, I even got contacted after because the seller received one of those scam customs emails..

I just made a purchase today for an accompanying " Boline" a pair of scissors by the same maker with ouroboros handles. in likewise great condition!

This piece is before art nouveau, later examples I geus you can call that, I have seen later examples where Melusine has been occulted or replaced with floral figures in her shape...
I think it cool to think, the "art" (magic is art is magic) has Nouveau Tools, as Gerald Gardner has mentioned clever witches replaced old tools with scissors.. etc...
So many amazing things to say about the symbolism of Hermes and Melusine I wouldn't know how to start
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2023, 12:12 AM   #2
JoeCanada42

the "Boline" I got to match
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2023, 12:16 AM   #3
JoeCanada42

please enjoy
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2023, 12:19 AM   #4
JoeCanada42

I have seen some with even longer letter openers, I have seen some marked marshall field co, I have seen them sold as romantic daggers....
Old 24th February 2023, 12:51 AM   #5
JoeCanada42

meant to post this one...
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2023, 01:18 AM   #6
JoeCanada42

this might be worth a chuckle nothing more
JULIUS - Just Like US
GOTTLIEB - Got To Lie Bro

seriously though I suspect at least Julius is a code name

Last edited by JoeCanada42; 24th February 2023 at 02:47 AM.
Old 24th February 2023, 02:46 AM   #7
JoeCanada42

CARL JULIUS KREBS ??????

cool info
https://www.archivingindustry.com/cu...lermarks-1.pdf

Trade- and brand names are customarily easily read, and often as easily
identified. However, very little research amongst brandname registries (tedious,
but potentially very useful) has yet been undertaken by most collecting fraternities
and, consequently, many names are still difficult to date precisely. Some are simply
abbreviations of the company name, and are easily mastered: ‘DWM’, for example, is
Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken. Some marks give a clue to geographical
location: Klihaso and Romuso, found on edged weapons, identify Klittermann
& Moog of Haan bei Solingen and Robert Müller of Solingen. Yet others give a
potentially false clue to location, and a few prove to be interesting amalgamations:

; prior to the Lanham Act of 1946, which made important
procedural changes, registration conferred only minor additional advantages and
was rarely pursued.
Old 24th February 2023, 11:16 AM   #8
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Joe, looks this type of threads is in the wrong place. Let us start by moving them over to the Miscellania forum.
Old 24th February 2023, 10:38 PM   #9
JoeCanada42

doesn't seem there is as many viewers over in miscellaneous
but place it where ever you like
whatever you think is best to get some replies please

I know the second one is looking at scissors in part (trying to track a maker, who probably also made daggers or has connection to),
But the main thing is the European blades in both. Weapons, for Shure, while some weapons don't see use, these probably did just in a different fashion.
Old 24th February 2023, 11:26 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Joe, you have a way of finding remarkably esoteric items, and while not weapons in the conventional sense, they serve key votive functions in occult functions. I think placement here is correct, and there is frankly as much attention here as other forums for guys who are looking into these kinds items.

As noted, these serve in religious, occult manner much as with the metaphysically oriented 'weapons' such as the PHURBU dagger of Tibet.

The undulating blade on this recalls those seen on the keris daggers of Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines and interestingly also the intriguing figure Gerald Gardner (1884-1964) who was a key proponent of Wicca.
He was a British civil authority who was well traveled and deeply studied the traditional and magical aspects of the keris, and his book "Keris and Other Malay Weapons" (1936) became a landmark work on the subject.

Hopefully, there will be other entries. I would note that the 'ouroboros' was an important allegorical figure in various aspects of occult, including alchemy.
Old 24th February 2023, 11:32 PM   #11
werecow

The double crescent shaped crossguard on the "kris" is peculiar with that cutout in the middle. It looks kind of like it was made for a blade that swivels.
Old 25th February 2023, 01:21 AM   #12
JoeCanada42

Hey, thanks both, Thanks Jim for the info and reassurance
"Keris and Other Malay Weapons" definitely going on my list
thanks Werecow for the observation, I will take more if you got some,
Old 14th March 2023, 02:20 AM   #13
JoeCanada42

Julius Hammesfahr is Carl Julius Krebs aka Kronen Krebs
Attached Images

Old 14th March 2023, 02:22 AM   #14
JoeCanada42

would be really cool to learn if there is anything to be said about the Damascus pattern?
Old 14th March 2023, 05:27 PM   #15
JoeCanada42

I wonder who made their daggers?
Attached Images

Old 14th March 2023, 06:18 PM   #16
JoeCanada42

interesting, one dagger stands out
Attached Images

Old 16th March 2023, 11:25 PM   #17
Maj-Biffy Snodgrass

I am new here but have been watching the forum since it started way back, so hello to all who are serious collectors and enthusiasts.
I may have a little something to add now and then having many years of experience under my belt, & I will try to keep within the rules of the forum.
Here we go, and I likely will not be mentioned in despatches for this but heh I need an intro so will fire away.
Your all powerful kris - paper knife is something that someone has made up from the sheath - scabbard of a pair of European likely German brass needlework scissors, ... or did you pay hard cash for this and get yourself well and truly ripped off.
The guard, ... lord only knows what was used to make this abomination, it could be from any amount of scrap metal items, the blade appears to be a reshaped and self styled recently made Pakistan Damascus steel, likely not even edge tempered.
The resin glue that has been used to create this fake item of no interest or worth to any serious enthusiast is visible between the guard and the hilt, showing that this is a recently knocked up knife made from bits and pieces of totally uninteresting and married parts that have nothing in kind with each other.
If you had the scissors to go with the scissors sheath - scabbard, then you likely would have interest from any amount of people on a needlework forum, but is this item of any interest to the serious collectors and antique edged weapons enthusiasts, likely not.. hope that helped. Maj-Biffy Snodgrass.

Last edited by Lee; 17th March 2023 at 02:32 PM. Reason: minimum necessary editing to comply with forum rules
Closed Thread