Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th February 2023, 03:50 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Luzon Kris, just like Robert's

I just acquired this Philippine sword and I was searching the Forum to see if there were any similar examples, and to my surprise, I came upon a Feb.2005 Post by Robert that showed the almost exact weapon. I had to look at it very closely to make sure that wasn't the same piece as it is not uncommon to see some of our pieces traded and sold into the collections of Forum members. His piece was 28" long and mine was approx. 25.5" in length.
This is exciting to me as either the pieces were made by the same smith and/or this style of sword could have been a standard pattern issued to some local Philippine militia. I will now be looking for my third example.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 04:20 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Nice sword. I'm still not too keen on calling them kris though.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 04:30 PM   #3
drac2k

Thanks. I agree; I chose the non-technically correct label as it was more easily recognizable to a greater amount of people and I didn't know what else to name it.
Old 25th February 2023, 04:53 PM   #4
Sajen

Very nice sword, congrats! Do you have the link to Roberts example?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2023, 05:41 PM   #5
drac2k

Thanks. If you do a search in the Forum under Luzon Sword, on the second pg., you will see Robert's post "Old Luzon Kris," post #4 will be my twin brother's sword. This post was dated Aug. 2012.

Last edited by drac2k; 25th February 2023 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 25th February 2023, 05:49 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=Luzon+Kris
Old 25th February 2023, 05:50 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
Thanks. If you do a search in the Forum under Luzon Sword, on the second pg., you will see Robert's post "Old Luzon Kris," post #4 will be my twin brother's sword. This post was dated Aug. 2012.
Sorry, I've searched already but can't find it!
Old 25th February 2023, 05:54 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Sorry, I have overseen that you have posted the link!

Yes, the piece is very similar!
Attached Images

Old 25th February 2023, 07:01 PM   #9
drac2k

Thanks, guys for doing what I should have done!
Any Idea what the "6," "9," or squiggly mark is or means?
Old 25th February 2023, 10:09 PM   #10
kai

Red face

Quote:
This is exciting to me as either the pieces were made by the same smith and/or this style of sword could have been a standard pattern issued to some local Philippine militia.
While it's not possible to prove a negative, I really don't think these 2 options are the only possible scenarios and I'd posit these 2 are not even the most likely ones: In many cultures, styles and patterns are fairly conserved over time and space (aka tradition). Thus, one tends to see patterns which are closely adhered to over generations and sometimes neighbouring areas. This doesn't have to be a sign of a single craftsman nor a "single school" (nor any militia pattern).

Apologies for the rant - I keep hearing such assumptions but hardly ever see any evidence like specific tool marks, brush strokes (paintings) or other stylistic features of the actual work by artisans.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2023, 02:31 AM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice turn of the century example. It looks like it's from lower Luzon, perhaps Pampangan or Tagalog.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2023, 03:21 PM   #12
drac2k

Kai, I understand and endorse your belief that too many people take free reign in ascribing certain unrelated attributes in regards to weapons; my personal peeve is that numerous Philippine knives and swords, especially with guards are listed as "Civil War Confederate."
This instance of 2 swords being almost symmetrical, appeared to me to be an exception. If we saw a US M-1832 Artillery Sword, we would recognize the pattern and acknowledge it as such, without controversy; why can we not assume that some armory in the Philippines was capable of such an endeavor when presented with such examples? We can at least ask the question.
I am warning you that I am actively seeking a third example, lol. Honestly, no disrespect, as I admire the knowledge that you have demonstrated in your posts.
Thanks for the information Battara.
Old 26th February 2023, 04:59 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
While it's not possible to prove a negative, I really don't think these 2 options are the only possible scenarios and I'd posit these 2 are not even the most likely ones: In many cultures, styles and patterns are fairly conserved over time and space (aka tradition). Thus, one tends to see patterns which are closely adhered to over generations and sometimes neighbouring areas. This doesn't have to be a sign of a single craftsman nor a "single school" (nor any militia pattern).

Apologies for the rant - I keep hearing such assumptions but hardly ever see any evidence like specific tool marks, brush strokes (paintings) or other stylistic features of the actual work by artisans.

Regards,
Kai
While i do understand your concern here Kai, i do have to say that if you go searching for other examples of these types of Luzon swords you will be pretty hard pressed to find an example that is this close a match to the two swords being presented. While i have seen other examples with a similar scrolled cross piece, these two are identical. It is also the same half wavy/half straight blade form. And while this is not an unknown hilt style from the area, the similarity here only reinforces the notion. No smoking gun here, of course, but these two swords are so similar that i would have no problem believing they came from the same source. I believe that to form a stronger opinion we would need to see a series of very detailed and well executed photographs of both swords.
Old 26th February 2023, 07:06 PM   #14
drac2k

If Robert is willing, I certainly am.
Old 26th February 2023, 09:44 PM   #15
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
If Robert is willing, I certainly am.
Robert has many private issues in the moment and his last visit here is long ago but I've found another thread where he has shown his sword, see here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...41&postcount=1
Given measurements: 27 3/16" overall, 21 1/2" blade.
Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Last edited by Sajen; 27th February 2023 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add measurements
Old 27th February 2023, 05:29 PM   #16
drac2k

As per request. The handle measures 4 & 1/8" inches long and the guard 3.5" across.
Attached Images

Old 27th February 2023, 06:25 PM   #17
Sajen

I would agree, it's the same workshop and the marking on the ricasso stay maybe for the blade length?
Old 27th February 2023, 06:34 PM   #18
drac2k

The overall length of mine is approx. 25.5".
Old 1st March 2023, 10:58 PM   #19
Gavin Nugent

These are interesting weapons. I have a nice silver dressed one here somewhere... will see if I can find it to post.

This exceptional example passed recently. Certainly the property of a man of standing.
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2023, 07:34 PM   #20
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
These are interesting weapons. I have a nice silver dressed one here somewhere... will see if I can find it to post.

This exceptional example passed recently. Certainly the property of a man of standing.
Great piece!!!! Congratulations!!!
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:22 PM   #21
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post

Not sure i would consider this in the same category Gavin. Looks more like a dagger than a sword, with a much thinner profile. What was is the length of the one?
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:50 PM   #22
Gavin Nugent

16 inches if I recall?
Old 3rd March 2023, 02:38 PM   #23
Spunjer

Hello David,
actually it's ok to call it a kris. during the Philippine Revolution, one of the main theme was going back to the pre-Hispanic days. with that in mind, the Northern Filipinos really looked up to their southern brethrens since the Moros were never subjugated by the Spaniards. that includes copying a facsimile of their weapons, hence the kris style blades.
of note as well, is the spanish term for gunong: kris de punyal

Gavin: i got beaten up on that particular piece, and some others, lol.
worst one was the kris that went for *****!

Last edited by Rick; 5th March 2023 at 07:13 PM.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2023, 09:08 PM   #24
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer View Post
Hello David,
actually it's ok to call it a kris. during the Philippine Revolution, one of the main theme was going back to the pre-Hispanic days. with that in mind, the Northern Filipinos really looked up to their southern brethrens since the Moros were never subjugated by the Spaniards. that includes copying a facsimile of their weapons, hence the kris style blades.
That's OK Ron. LOL! I'll still choose not to call these Luzon swords kris. Do we have any records that show that is what the people of Luzon called them. And i mean then, not how they are marketed today. And as you point out, kris de punyal is the Spanish term for gunong. I'll continue to use gunong.
And Gavin, yeah, i'd call that example you posted a dagger rather than a sword. A very nice one at that!
Old 3rd March 2023, 11:28 PM   #25
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Hello David,

worst one was the kris that went for ****!
Sorry mate, on both

Last edited by Rick; 5th March 2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 4th March 2023, 12:19 AM   #26
SanibelSwassa

Quote:
Hello David,

worst one was the kris that went for ****!
Ron,

Your post is so on point… Gavin, you and I were literally killing each other… Gavin got that Kris… lol… but I got to see it in person yesterday and the hilt is solid cast metal… non-tarnished heavy… definitely not brass… so it could very well be worth the price… I obviously thought so😢😢😢

Last edited by Rick; 5th March 2023 at 07:16 PM.
SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2023, 12:25 AM   #27
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanibelSwassa View Post
Ron,

Your post is so on point… Gavin, you and I were literally killing each other… Gavin got that Kris… lol… but I got to see it in person yesterday and the hilt is solid cast metal… non-tarnished heavy… definitely not brass… so it could very well be worth the price… I obviously thought so😢😢😢
Sorry mate... and yes it seems we were, but there was a BIG buyer in Texas hammering down on these pieces too....I stood aside for you both on some pieces as there was only one of real personal interest for me in there...

I'm pretty easy to get along with, if you've seen it, I've likely seen it, I'll often stand aside for others, as some members here know....and I'll say if it is something I have to have... a little give and take balance...

I'm grateful it was in your backyard and you got there first hand on the day.

Gav
Old 4th March 2023, 11:24 AM   #28
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That's OK Ron. LOL! I'll still choose not to call these Luzon swords kris. Do we have any records that show that is what the people of Luzon called them. And i mean then, not how they are marketed today. And as you point out, kris de punyal is the Spanish term for gunong. I'll continue to use gunong.
And Gavin, yeah, i'd call that example you posted a dagger rather than a sword. A very nice one at that!
if i come across one, i'll post it. nowadays, been busy with a lot of other things.

SanibelSwaasa, the auction was so obscure, i thought i had a monopoly on it, lol. except for the bolo with horn scabbard and gold kris (congrats on you two!), i'm happy with what got
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2023, 11:23 PM   #29
Gavin Nugent

the other I mentioned with silver collars...
Attached Images