Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st August 2020, 02:01 PM   #1
tanaruz

Default MORO BARUNG

Hi friends,

Sharing a barung collection from my father's. This was purchased around 2 years ago from the family of a balikbayan from the US. What attracted me is the silver braids on the handle. My first impression is that this barung's pommel was missing (am I correct to say this?). Could there have been a pommel on this piece? what possible design could it have been?

because of the silver handle and the braids...could this be a middle to upper-class type?

Thanks for your info and keep safe always.

Yves

Note: the rattan weaves are, in my opinion, a new addition to either hold the scabbard pieces together or for safely reasons.
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 02:30 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hello Yves.

Thank you for showing this beautiful Sulu barung. I believe this one is indeed a datu quality piece. The extensive use of silver on the hilt, with braided silver rings (budbud) overlying the silver punto, is an indicator of a high quality piece intended for a wealthy individual. You are correct that the pommel is missing. The peg protruding from the end of the hilt would have been used to secure the pommel, possibly an elaborate junggayan one made of precious wood or ivory.

Some years ago I had a barung with a similar, silver-covered, hilt missing its pommel and I have seen at least three other examples also missing their pommels. It seems that their owners may have fallen on hard financial times and removed the valuable pommels for sale. Filipino friends have told me this happens occasionally.

I had my barung restored to completeness by battara, who is also a Moderator on this Forum. He made a silver kakatua pommel that really brought the barung back to life and made its gin happy again.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:52 AM   #3
tanaruz

Default MORO BARUNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hello Yves.

Thank you for showing this beautiful Sulu barung. I believe this one is indeed a datu quality piece. The extensive use of silver on the hilt, with braided silver rings (budbud) overlying the silver punto, is an indicator of a high quality piece intended for a wealthy individual. You are correct that the pommel is missing. The peg protruding from the end of the hilt would have been used to secure the pommel, possibly an elaborate junggayan one made of precious wood or ivory.

Some years ago I had a barung with a similar, silver-covered, hilt missing its pommel and I have seen at least three other examples also missing their pommels. It seems that their owners may have fallen on hard financial times and removed the valuable pommels for sale. Filipino friends have told me this happens occasionally.

I had my barung restored to completeness by battara, who is also a Moderator on this Forum. He made a silver kakatua pommel that really brought the barung back to life and made its gin happy again.

Ian
Hello Sir,

Really appreciate the info. You do have pics of the restored pommel? Is it ok to contact battara (for some pics and suggestions)?

I have a sperm whale tooth in my collection. Bought from a picker who got it from Tawi Tawi during the 80s. It would be a possible option for a pommel.

Question: is sperm whale tooth considered 'ivory'?

Kindest regards,

Yves
Old 2nd August 2020, 03:23 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I was so happy to work o Ian's barong.

I agree your's probably had ivory, wood, or even horn on the pommel.

And yes, sperm whale tooth is a form of ivory, and it is not unheard of to use sperm whale tooth, sea cow tooth, hippo tooth, even clam shell. Lots of trade in the region.

And Yves you have PM.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 03:35 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Here are the pictures of how I got it from Ian:
Attached Images

Old 2nd August 2020, 03:37 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

So I replaced the missing brass inlay on the blade, made a horn spacer, and made the silver pommel (before there were any pictures of such a thing), and a scabbard for it:
Attached Images

Old 2nd August 2020, 03:38 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Here are some close ups:
Attached Images

Old 2nd August 2020, 03:54 AM   #8
tanaruz

Default MORO BARUNG

Hi Sir,

Gorgeous...the djinn must be very happy indeed Sir Ian. :-)

I will email you Sir Jose.

Thanks all,

Yves
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:04 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Jose,

Thanks for posting pics of that barung. I still have it and was having trouble finding the old pictures. Glad to see you kept them.

Ian.
Old 2nd August 2020, 03:16 PM   #10
kino

Hi Ian, did your hilt have the tenon as opposed to a mortise like Tanaruz’ hilt?

Is the pommel solid silver or does it have a wood core?

It looks nice. Good job Jose!
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:39 AM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Kino, IIRC there was a round hole in the end of the wooden hilt which may have been for attachment to a pommel. Jose may recall more clearly.

You would have to ask Jose what is underneath the silver kakatua he created.
Old 4th August 2020, 03:36 AM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff

I will make a note: many barongs and kris have missing pommels, it would appear.
Old 6th August 2020, 02:35 PM   #13
tanaruz

Default MORO BARUNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I was so happy to work o Ian's barong.

I agree your's probably had ivory, wood, or even horn on the pommel.

And yes, sperm whale tooth is a form of ivory, and it is not unheard of to use sperm whale tooth, sea cow tooth, hippo tooth, even clam shell. Lots of trade in the region.

And Yves you have PM.
Hello Sir Jose,

Thanks for this valuable info especially the sperm whale tooth being a form of ivory.

Sir you have a PM

Keep safe

Yves