Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st October 2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default An issue of cleaning inside a scabbard

Here is an interesting problem that I haven't heard spoken of before.

In the past I have discovered swords with leather over wooden scabbards that have been stored for a very long time, the blades have been covered in grease for many decades but have attracted moisture in the scabbard and when they see the light of day again, the grease in places has gone a horrible brown colour. The blades have been cleaned to a good and respectable state but alas, once sheathed again dirty brown grease is left on the blade.
Has anyone ever experienced this and found a solution to cleaning the insides of a scabbard other than "never shall the two meet again".

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Bill M

Gav,

Many scabbards are made to come apart so this cleaning can be accomplished. Some would take more effort than others, but many are two pieces of wood.

For the scabbards that do not come apart easily, like a kaskara I have, I have wondered the same question as you. Hope there are some good answers.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
ward

shoot brake cleaner up the sheath and let it pour out. repeat untill clean afterwards wd40
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
shoot brake cleaner up the sheath and let it pour out. repeat until clean afterwards wd40
This is an idea I had not contemplated. However if Ward suggests it, I think it bears consideration. I respect his knowledge.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 02:32 PM   #5
ward

just make sure to clean out all of the brake cleaner before inserting sword. Otherwise you will have a new etch. also keep it off the outside of the scabbard
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:06 AM   #6
Ferguson

To get mud and dry dirt out of a scabbard, I have used a rifle cleaning rod with a bronze brush on the end. Then shoot compressed air in to blow the loose dust out.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Outstanding!

An outstanding solution Ward, thank you, I will try this next weekend when I have some free time at home and I'll be sure to let you all know of any success unless you beat me to it Bill.

thanks

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote