Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2006, 12:21 PM   #31
Naga Sasra

Thumbs up Processional and Ceremonial Keris

Mudi

Thank you for posting the photos of the long kerises, Mick earlier in this thread mentioned a couple of uses for these specimens.

You mentioned their use for ceremony, kindly explain what specific ceremony they would be used for and in what parts of Indonesia to the best of your knowledge, other than the uses Mick mentioned.

I have two of these in my collection and have over the years been told many a story about their use and would appreciate your knowledge on the use of these pieces.
Thank You for bringing these out front!

Last edited by Naga Sasra; 11th July 2006 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Hit the wrong key on the computer
Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 09:24 PM   #32
Mark

I am glad to see that the discussion has now left the subject of balistics and returned to the original topic.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 10:58 PM   #33
A. G. Maisey

Thank you for posting photos of these fabulous keris, Pak Mudi.

Naga Sasra has raised the question of what ceremonies these might be used in, and I also would be very interested to have your thoughts on this.

However, if they are indeed ceremonial keris, then I would suppose that they are quite old.

How old do you imagine the keris in your possession might be?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 01:38 AM   #34
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THANKS FOR THE GREAT PICTURES

THE ONES I HAVE SEEN WERE LIKE THE ONE IN THE FIRST PICTURE. I SAW AND HANDLED ONE IN PERSON AND IT HAD A VERY GOOD BLADE WITH A VERY NICE PARMOR THE PERSON SELLING IT HAD NO INFORMATION ON IT. I SAW ONE OFFERED ON EBAY A FEW YEARS BACK THAT WAS SAID TO BE ONE OF TWO SPECIALLY MADE FOR A BIG INDONESIAN EXHIBITION OR CELEBRATION UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T REMEMBER ANY MORE THAN THAT.
CAN SUCH A LARGE KERIS BE CONSIDERED PUSAKA AND WOULD IT BE TREATED THE SAME AS OTHER KERIS OR DIFFERENT?
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 04:53 AM   #35
Mudi

This large keris, and the one owned by Pak Dibia are from Madura. Madura is part of east Java, but culture is different. Wanita di Madura have special reputasi! I do not know much about culture Madura to be able to say what kind of ceremony they are for. I have also heard of keris like this made for special exhibition by famous Empu as demonstation of skill. Some man of power and money want to have one to symbol his power and money.

This one I gave my son is very good. Just like normal good keris, just much bigger. I think this one is only 100 years old.
Mudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 04:13 AM   #36
malaysialounge

hello from malaysia,

In the Malacca (malaysia) museum, theres few kris about 1-3 meters.
I totally forgot the size already but it was huge and in meters, and more than 1 or 1.5m..

i'll check if i go there again sometime.
malaysialounge is offline   Reply With Quote