Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th September 2011, 05:44 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A bombard for ... religious celebrations

Arriving next week; better pictures then availble.
This one doesn't give place to speculate whether it was used in castle doors under siege or any kind of beligerant purposes .
... for it bears a cross in each side of the tube.
So we ( i ) can not assign it further than for weddings and other religious festivities .
But still is a cannon's next of kin .

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Where for heavens sake do you find such things, Cannon 'Nando?

I do like it and would roughly date it to the 17th c. as it shows some mouldings accentuating the muzzle.

Best,
Michl
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 07:04 PM   #3
fernando

Thanks for being so candid Michl ,
Where i found it ? the answer is: in an auction where, after an intense fight, i won with the highest bid. I still can't beleive it; auctions are not my cup of tea. I guess this has been the second auction bidding of my life .

(Signed)
Cannon 'Nando
Old 5th September 2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Atlantia

Ah! A most holy weapon indeed....

Consult the book or armaments!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 01:34 AM   #5
katana

Hi' 'Nando,
Perhaps this is an example of canonisation ....all hail St Cannon

Nice thing

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 12:41 PM   #6
fernando

No blasphemy guys,
The skies may fall upon you .
I can't wait to see this ting in person.
Old 19th September 2011, 07:07 PM   #7
fernando

It has arrived.
A small but sturdy device, with its conical 10/8 X 9 cms, a 30 mm caliber and an impressive 3,4 Kgs. weight.
It sounds funny to call this a rustic work, looking at the detail of the priming pan; it reminds modern examples with a safety system.
Have you guys already seen this priming method ?
Is this one of those cases for the expression "Holy sh.." (no pun intended)

Attached Images

Old 23rd September 2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I've kind of been hoping Michael, our master of medieval ordnance would come in on this.
Is it possible this item might be a signalling mortar, used much in the manner of signalling cannon on ships ? I know that there was some sort of protocol using these cannons to alert and advise the immediate area, such as ships where a single blast of the cannon upon entering port was to indicate friendly entrance or to that effect.

The cross on the barrel of course seems indicative of Church oriented use, and perhaps its presence might relate to the fact that in medieval times the bishops and abbots as well as the Church complexes were actually the ordnance depots in a manner. I am thinking in terms of the Bishops being the figures authorizing and securing arms, as the religious phrases and symbols on sword blades in early times often originated from this circumstance. The armourers actually had set numbers of weapons to produce per capita as thier 'rent', and the 'X' markings often seen on blades for many years hence derived from that letter, usually accompanying bishops signatures, and relating to that practice. Just my speculation based on my understandings pertaining to markings, and my opinion only.

Wheres Michael?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 07:07 PM   #9
fernando

Hi Jim,
While Michl doesn't come in, asssuming he will , let me post a few notes i gathered on these things.
It appears that these pots were used for a zillion purposes; gunpowder testers, celebration mortars, signaling devices, whether to guide sailors through fog, saluting when entering ports, signaling manoeuvers when in battle, trap setups to blast the enemy when assaulting fortification gates, noise makers to cause impression ... you name it.
In the chapter of signaling, i beleive these were alternated with actual cannons ... in the beginning, actual ordnance ones and later miniature ones.
Just 'en passant', Vasco da Gama during the discoveries period used the following code: one cannon shot for continuing ahead, two for turning, three for hoisting the "moneta", an apendix sail to increase the speed and four shots for slowing down. But i am digressing here .
You might as well be on the right track about the Christian crosses on this example, but my view is distinct . I think the crosses are there basically to identify the mortar as Church property, admittedly seconded by the ever present spiritual touch, and that it was kept for using in religious festivities and not for belligerent purposes. Such is also the conviction of the (French) seller.
Now, let us see what Michl thinks of all this ... as well as other forumites, naturally.
Here attached, the picture of a most interesting cannon trap, used in (French) citadel gates during the XVIII century.

Attached Images

Old 23rd September 2011, 08:58 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Fernando, I hope he will too.
Good stuff on the signalling protocol, and thanks for posting this interesting door trap. Here Bond fans thought M1 was the first innovator on these clandestine weapons.
Do you remember the grave robber guns? Traps set with loaded guns to prevent grave robbing., Weird.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:45 PM   #11
rickystl

Hi Fernando! Great find!!! Now that is really cool. The priming pan and crosses make it really intriging. What Century would you guess, 16th or 17th ? Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote