Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2016, 05:47 PM   #1
Athanase

Default Old javanese Keris?

Hello,

This keris of my collection is one of those has the blade seems to me the oldest. The blade is carved as if she subjected to numerous arcenic bath. When I received this keris, the blade was very rusty. I haven't dared to clean more fear of damaging it.

From the style of the sheath and the handle I deduced that keris was from East Java. The handle is ivory, Mendak in bronze (or brass?) And the blade is 37cm. I have no pesi picture because I don't been able to remove the handle. I was afraid of breaking it.

Thank you for all your comment.
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 09:40 AM   #2
GIO

I think this keris is from Madura, the gunungan type hilt is crudely carved and could be elephant or marine ivory. The blade seems in good condition, shows the pamor and could easily be cleaned and etched if you like.
The blade shows what seem engravings maybe originally filled with some metal (gold ?)
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Gustav

We are ready for a thread "What constitutes a good condition".

There are no engravings, just topographically etched laminations, especially noticeable on Gonjo.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 03:48 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Well technically Madura is administered as "East Jawa", so calling this an East Jawa keris does not seem incorrect to me. Certainly we do see keris that seem more likely to have come specifically from the island of Madura, but this keris looks like it could go either way.
I see what Gio was hoping might be engraving marks on the blade for kinatah attachment, but i think Gustav is probably correct that this is just bade erosion. I have certainly seen worse condition on blades, but would fall short on calling this one "in good condition". However Athanese, i believe it would indeed be in your best interest (and that of this keris) to continue your cleaning process to remove all the rust on this blade. A good long soak in a mild acidic bath such as pineapple juice with frequent brushing with a toothbrush should clean it up nicely without causing any further damage to the blade. Then neutralize the acid with a slurry made with baking powder. This should not only not damage your blade, but will prevent further erosion that the remaining rust will cause over time.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Athanase

Thanks you for your advice.

"baking powder" is NaHCO3???
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 05:45 PM   #6
GIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
We are ready for a thread "What constitutes a good condition".

There are no engravings, just topographically etched laminations, especially noticeable on Gonjo.
My words "good condition" mean that, after reading what Athanase wrote, I expected to see an almost destroyed blade, corroded and full of rust.
You shall agree that the blade at least has no missing parts, except the sekar kacang.
As to the etched laminations, you are probably right, but I have never seen a blade with this type of corrosion.
If you like to start a thread about "what constitutes a good condition", I am ready to contribute.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 02:36 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanase
Thanks you for your advice.

"baking powder" is NaHCO3???
Yeah, i said baking POWDER, but i should have said SODA which is what NaHCO3 is. Make a slurry by mixing it with a little water and glob it onto the blade and let it sit for a minute. It will neutralize the acids from the cleaning bath.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 02:55 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Yep, bicarbonate of soda.

As David advises, let it sit on the blade for a while, thoroughly rinse clean under running water, pat dry with a lint free cloth, and spray well with WD40 or a similar substance. Let the WD40 dry off overnight, paint the blade with some sort of oil:- light machine oil, gun oil, traditionally scented oil. Wrap it in plastic film and store in a dry environment.

No problems with corrosion for a very long time.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote