Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th March 2006, 04:34 AM   #1
Amaze

Default Hindu Arms and Ritual: Arms and Armour from India 1400-1865

I had come across a great book recently on arms and armours of ancient history from India.

Hindu Arms and Ritual: Arms and Armour from India 1400-1865
by Robert Elgood

The study of Indian arms and armour has concentrated on Mughal arms from norther India and there has been no serious study of Hindu arms since the nineteenth century. Robert Elgood has sought to redress this in Hindu Arms and Ritual, which takes as a starting point the Tanjore Palace Armoury in south India. This armoury was dispersed by the East Indian Company when it seized Tanjore in the mid-nineteenth century and remnants are now found in museums in New York, Paris, London, Madras and Berlin, and in private collections. The Tanjore arms are decorated with auspicious symbols. While form and decoration on European arms generally follow effective function, in Hindu weaponry functional efficiency was achieved by designing arms according to ancient rules in order to attract the goddess to take up residence. Her presence made them effective on the battlefield, while prophylactic motifs similar to those found on temples protected the user of the weapon against malevolent spirits attracted by violence. These ornate weapons enabled the king and his warriors to fight for the preservation of the ideal Hindu state. Hindu kings and warriors were born into a caste that existed to fight, and to die honourably in battle was their ambition, ensuring warrior heaven. Many south Indian arms are attributed to Tanjore on the basis of similarity and scholars have assumed that the majority date from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Robert Elgood uses the evidence of contemporary travelers, inscriptions, manuscripts, art and sculpture to explain the ritual and social importance of these arms and to shed light on places and dates of manufacture. He concludes that many of the pieces date from the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries, that many are attributable to the Vijayanagara and Nayaka courts, and that they influenced Muslim arms development. This scholarly work radically changes our understanding of Indian arms history and material culture. Hindu Arms and Ritual is important to anyone interested in the history, culture and anthropology of Indian and is an essential reference for arms historians of the Middle East and Asia.

THIS UNIQUE BOOK IS AVAILABLE AT WWW.BOOKSHOPOFINDIA.COM FOR ONLINE BUYING. http://bookshopofindia.com/search.as...&bookid=960394
Amaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 02:54 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Amaze,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you are right, ‘Hindu Arms and Ritual’ is a must, for collectors of Indian weapons, just like the rest of his books – but watch out what is coming from his hand in the coming year or two.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 06:44 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hello Amaze,
You are absolutely right, this book is one of the most outstanding books to date on Indian weapons, and especially as it presents ethnographic weapons in exactly the perspective in which they should be studied. Serious students of not only the study of arms and armour, but theology, anthropology, world history and numerous associated academic pursuits would benefit immensely from the contents of this beautifully researched book. As always, Dr. Elgoods footnotes alone are an absolute goldmine of information!!

Since you have mentioned this book, I am interested to know your thoughts on the book. What do you find most helpful in using this resource in your study on Indian weapons? Do you focus on any particular Indian weapons group or form?

Thank you for posting this. As Jens has pointed out, Dr. Elgood has already presented us with important resources essential to the study of the arms and armour of various countries and cultural spheres, and has some very important works yet to come.......I for one cannot wait!!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

I think Elgoods work is outstanding indeed; if it can be faulted, then it is in its concentration on weapons of a courtly nature and therefore leaves a vast area of craftwork and culture largely unseen. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Aqtai

Its a very informative book with some very good pictures, no pictures of armour unfortunately, but then there are many other books out there with pics of Indian armour. Anyway it is an excellent book and well worth getting. I've quoted it a few times on this forum and I'm pretty sure I've even used scans from it as reference material in some of my posts.

I wish Elgood would reprint his "Islamic Arms and Armour" from 1979. I would love to get my paws on that, but second-hand copies of it cost an absolute fortune.
Aqtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2006, 09:10 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

I doubt that Robert can deside if "Islamic Arms and Armour" from 1979 should be reprinted - maybe you should write to the publisher.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 05:12 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Tim and Aqtai, thank you for the input!
It would be interesting to hear more from other members who have copies of "Hindu Arms and Ritual" as we all have different views in reviewing a book and comprehensive input is important.
I agree with Jens that contacting the publisher may present at least the suggestion that a reprint may be well received. It does seem , unfortunately, that arms books are typically not reissued, despite a handful of earlier classics which have been. This is why I have always tried to acquire titles when first issued, as eventually they become very costly when long out of print. I recall buying titles many years ago on topics that were not even close to what I was collecting, knowing that one day the book might come in handy. They did!!!!

Best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 05:32 AM   #8
Andrew

Great book: I look at it often.

I was one of those fortunate to hear the author speak at Timonium in 2004. He presented the advance copy and shared some of his research and writing process with us. Needless to say, the experience heightened my anticipation, and I wasn't at all dissappointed when I received my copy. Robert Elgood is a gentleman and scholar and has set the bar quite high.

Now, if I could find a reasonably priced copy of "Islamic Arms and Armour", I'd be a happy man...
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 04:41 PM   #9
B.I

i agree, its a fantastic in-depth research and a must for both novice and long-in-the-tooth :-)
robert merely scratches the surface and opens up many subjects for debate, which was his intention. it still leaves much work to be done, but i feel it is the most important book since egerton on indian arms.
my one gripe is the title, in that there are many islamic arms included in the book, so to corner hindu alone in the title is misleading. it would be a shame for readers to assume deccani daggers are hindu, which is not the case. hardly a gripe though as the content is a pleasure to read and the illustrations are wonderful.
any piece of writing can be critisized if broken down word for word, and any author puts his head on the block when published, but as a book this definately holds its own.
i hope others will take up the baton as its way too vast a subject for one man to cover (although he seems to be covering a lot of miles in his subject matters! - balkans next i believe)

Last edited by B.I; 20th March 2006 at 05:43 PM.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote