Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th October 2008, 01:41 AM   #1
Newsteel

Michael,
You are one lucky guy!!! It is beautiful... .

The sampir and scabbard is malay (most probably Terengganu). And typical also you can find at the bottom tip is in the form called the patat lipas, or roaches' back. But I doubt the blade is malay, rather looks like Moro or Sulu. Maybe the blade was fitted to a 'malay clothing'?

As for the parrot hilt, this is the signature of master woodcarver Tengku Ibrahim Tengku Wook in Jertih, Terengganu. It soon become widely popular. Probably the blade is around early 20th century with new fittings late 20th century.

Last edited by Newsteel; 30th October 2008 at 01:58 AM.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 03:56 AM   #2
apolaki

how does this differ from moro kris?
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 02:20 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I disagree with Newsteel. I think this is most probably a Malay sundang. Just take a look at the gonjo and the way the greneng goes up the blade. This is not a Moro style.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 04:33 AM   #4
PenangsangII

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I disagree with Newsteel. I think this is most probably a Malay sundang. Just take a look at the gonjo and the way the greneng goes up the blade. This is not a Moro style.
yes, the ganja and the greneng looks Malay, but the inscriptions indicate heavy moro influence
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Newsteel

Hi Michael,

No I do not suggest he carved this hilt. I do not have any good source about Tengku Ibrahim Tengku Wook. What was known is that he is a well-known mastercarver at Terengganu. He is also mentioned in the book 'Spirit of the Woods'. If I'm not wrong, he is the first to carve kakaktua (parrot) hilt for keris, only meant for the sultan. This form soon got attention and a lot more carvers tend to follow it.

As for the blade, it is hard to actually pin point the exact region. Most malay sundang would have a smaller size and the metal preference is high carbon steel which tends to look more greyish black. But this is not a main factor when identifying malay sundang. We have example which looks Javanese with sogokan and tikel alis. But surprisingly came from Sulu. Picture below taken from Bill Marsh collection.
Attached Images

Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Marcokeris

Michael IMO the hit could be also a repaired hit where the original top piece (maybe lost) has been changed with a parrot's head (the same of Nautilus for some rare hits).
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 05:28 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsteel
As for the blade, it is hard to actually pin point the exact region. Most malay sundang would have a smaller size and the metal preference is high carbon steel which tends to look more greyish black. But this is not a main factor when identifying malay sundang. We have example which looks Javanese with sogokan and tikel alis. But surprisingly came from Sulu. Picture below taken from Bill Marsh collection.
Bill Marsh's kris is a very old one from what i can see, what Cato calls the "archaic" style and dates to the 18th century. Michael's is obviously much newer than that. Could be early 20th C, give or take. The features you see on Bill's kris were more common in that day when the Moro kris was much closer to the look of Indonesian keris. But at this later date i have not seen any Moro kris that have a gonjo slant and greneng like Michael's sundang. The dress is Malay and the blade shows some very Malay attributes. Yes, the engraved lines are very Moro influenced. Still, given the entire package, i would lay my money on a Malay origin for the blade as well as the dress.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

From what I see in the pictures of this piece the blade is quite wide for it's length .
This is a proportion ratio (I have) not seen before in Moro blades .

The engraving is similar to Moro work yet seems subtly different .

I think it's all Malay .

And beautiful !
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote