Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th April 2005, 10:02 AM   #1
VVV

Default Dha from Brunei

Yesterday Hermann's Historica had their Spring auction.
In their catalogue (48) was an ivory hilted dha from Brunei (lot 2822),
see http://www.hermann-historica.com/

Does any of the forumites know more about this kind of Borneo swords?
Has it anything to do with Burmese dha or is it just a coincidence that they look similar?
I have heard about, but not seen it myself, that there is another one in a Dutch collection?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Naga Sasra

Thumbs up

While admitting to my ignorance when it come to dha, the descriptions and the vintage of the pieces in Hermann-Historica's auctions are not always accurate. They merely reflect whatever they have been told by the consignor.

For example, a keris were marked as being from Sumatra while the origin was clearly Bali, another piece was marked Sumbawa while it was Malay and so on.

Either way there were indeed some fine pieces in that auction, one just have to more or less identify the origin and vintage using your own experience and knowledge.
Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Andrew

I cannot read the text, but that one (Lot 2822) does not appear to be a dha. I am uncertain as to the origin of the piece, nor am I certain it hails from Brunei or SEA at all.

It looks as if it is a compilation sword. The pierced ivory handle does, indeed, look like the work of Burmese or, possibly, Thai artisans. Mark has made a better study of these carved handles than I.

The blade, with its suggestion of a yelman, and the scabbard with two suspension rings, looks Ottoman in flavor, if not origin, to me. The apparant short length is puzzling, however. Perhaps in a mid-east style?

Interesting sword.

Photo from Hermann Historica
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 02:09 PM   #4
Mark

I agree with Andrew's observations. The handle IMO is clearly Burmese, or at least by a Burmese artisan. In particular, the depiction of demons is not something that you would see in Islamic are, but is something very common in Burmese ivory carving. The vegetal motif is distinctively Burmese.

The blade looks like a kilij; in any event the drastic curve would be highly unusual in a dha/daab. I doubt it is from Brunei, unless someone picked up a Burmese handle that they liked and had it mounted on a kilij, or kilij-inspired, blade.

By the way, someone got a fantastic deal on lot #2829.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 02:12 PM   #5
tom hyle

Seems to be made from the tip of a sabre....sha'sh'qa? The sheath certainly doesn't look SE Asian, either.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 02:30 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Can't add anything meaningful to this one. An odd mix of styles and geographic influences.

Mark, there were several dha that did not attract an opening bid. Not a strong showing by dha guys, and a couple were knocked down below current market prices. But when you do the current exchange rate from Euros to dollars, and add on the auctioneer's fee of 20% or more, then the price shown does not come out quite so cheap as it seems.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Rather

Smile

I tried to translate the text for you, hope it helps:

Borneo/Brunei, 18th/19th century. Curved, at the point broadened and two edged blade. Silver mounted, in two levels carved ivory hilt with deities and floral ornaments. Wooden sheath upholstered with red velvet, with silver fittings and rings. Length 68,5 cm
Rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 03:52 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Rather. Maybe this one was a presentation piece to a Brunei dignitary. Doubt that it came for a Burmese source, though.

Strange.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 08:32 PM   #9
ariel

I have seen Parang Naburs with similar blades: relatively short and very curved, often with Yelman. manteris had one like that in Timonium.
The blade was obviously made locally.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 08:53 PM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Must admit that this confused me as well. I like Ariel's comparison to the parang nabor in the blade department.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 12:56 AM   #11
tom hyle

Still seems to me like the end from a longer blade. Does the groove go into the handle? Does anyone know? It seems to, but there's a shadow.
Old 21st April 2005, 07:05 AM   #12
Conogre

I'm not sure what is meant by "in two levels carved ivory hilt with deities and floral ornaments", but I saw a lot of ivory carved completely through into a latticework type effect with more carving inside, along the "ship in a bottle" lines in the Mekong delta region of Vietnam in the late 1960's.
I could never find out exactly where it came from, but it was exclusively being sold by merchants from India.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 11:51 AM   #13
tom hyle

Pretty much dead on, Mike. There is an inner carved handle with a space between it and the outer, hollow carved layer. I haven't examined this piece, but this is an established mainland SE Asian dha hilt type, and IMHO intrisically frajile and probably vibratory; ceremonial, decorative, etc. (depending somewhat on the length of ferule with solid material in it). The better ones are allegedly made from single pieces of ivory, and such work is not impossible, but those I've examined had the inner core carved seperately then fitted inside of the outer shell.