Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd August 2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Fires in Athens

I have just seen the news and about the terrible fires in Athens.
Thoughts and prayers to our friends there, and Yannis, though we havent heard from you in a while, I hope you and yours are OK.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 09:29 PM   #2
KuKulzA28

Typhoon and flooding in Taiwan, Philippines, and S.China... Hurricane in USA... now fires in Greece?
I hope all of us and our loved ones are safe and may the afflicted find safety and shelter soon.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:58 PM   #3
fearn

I hope everyone stays well.

Considering that we are in hurricane season, and going into fire season in the northern hemisphere, I would also add that it's a good idea to do some disaster planning, to figure out in advance what disasters could affect you, and do some advance preparation so that you can stay safe and respond appropriately if a fire, storm, or earthquake hits.

That reminds me: I need to clean the clothes in my go bag. I packed it last fall.

Best wishes to all, and I hope everyone stays safe.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Jeff D

I hope everyone everywhere stays safe. Mother nature can be merciless. This picture was taken a couple miles from my home 2 weeks ago. Its pretty much contained now.

All the best.
Jeff
Attached Images

Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 04:35 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Be prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
I hope everyone everywhere stays safe. Mother nature can be merciless. This picture was taken a couple miles from my home 2 weeks ago. Its pretty much contained now.

All the best.
Jeff
That certainly looks like a magic spot when mother nature isn't misbehaving Jeff.

Good people,

I hope no one ever has to go through it. These events are something everyone can all prepare for to some degree, although even the experts get it wrong and you can be caught off guard.

In Australia, fire is something we all live with often. Currently, although still winter, in Brisbane we have had winter stop suddenly, spring not even look like visiting and summer was here in a day with 33 deg celcius heats on a winters day, a sign of the year ahead and severe fire dangers are already relayed on the news every night.
Please if you are in these areas, prepare. Have an emergency kit and first aid kit at home, have fireblankets for everyone, they are so cheap and shouldn't be forgotten. Have an evacuation plan and a watch and listen to the authorities on the TV and radio for up to date information and most of all don't put yourself at risk by trying to protect property, it can be replaced, you cannot.

My thought are with those effected and who have ever been effected.

Gav.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Jeff D

Hi Gav,

Although we are on opposite sides of the planet, the Aussies are about to take control of this one. We very much appreciate the cooperation between our nations to deal with these fires. Since our hands are full here right now I am not sure if any teams from B.C. are off to Greece, I know we have sent teams there in the past. I am not directly involved, but I must say our guys are good! Despite the advanced age of our forests and the beetle kill very little damage has been done to humans, both in life and property. My place has been a refuge camp for horses for the last 5 weeks, but most have gone home as the cooler temperatures start in and the fires have settled. I agree with you planning, cooperation and luck are needed when things act up. I hope your summer goes well.

All the Best
Jeff

P. S. you are right, this is a magical spot!
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Yannis

I just saw the message. Thank you for your thoughts.

It was actually a hell to the NE of Athens. I live to the opposite side. For the ecology of Attica it was a major catastrophe. Next summers will be hotter at least 2 degrees they say...

As for me, a lot of work, some holidays and some house works keep me away from the collection. I see the forum not every day as before. And I always wait for a calm day to clean my blades.

Jim, take care and anytime you want send a mail with your news
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

"...No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of the friends or of thine own were: Any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee".
John Donne (1572-1631)
Meditations XVII

It is so good to hear from you, and to know you are OK.
With the wonderful entries seen on this thread, I felt compelled to recall this work by Donne, as we all realize how closely connected we really all are. The separation by miles, cultures, religions or any other means are completely inconsequential, as humanity and brotherhood rise above all.

Thank you guys, and our prayers and hopes are with any and all of you out there facing these kinds of challenges.

As always,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote